Status: *in progress*

There is Something...

*4*

Rory and Mary arrived home in a complete silence. In a complete silence they came to the door and entered the 3-storey house. Stopped in a dark hallway and finally faced each other. Mary glanced at a light green luminous dial of the clock on the wall. It was 10:02 pm.

“Ok. I’m gonna get eve..Aa!” Rory’s foot stuck under the carpet; he lost his balance and fell to the floor. “…rything.” he finished the sentence.

Mary-Ann quickly rushed to rescue him, “Wow, are you alright?” She scanned his looks, “I think there are no broken tissues,” she grinned at him trying to make the situation more comfortable.

Rory smiled back and touched his aching knee, “So, what would you like to play in? We have almost anything you could wish for.” he winked.

Mary helped him to get up, “Just show me what you’ve got. I’ll go and get changed for something more comfortable.”

**
In 10 minutes Mary went to the living room. She was wearing loose white T-shirt and red chequered slacks, and her dreads arranged in a kind of ponytail. In the meantime Rory managed to get into shorts, and when Mary came in closer he was busy rummaging in a box full of games. He didn’t see or hear her approaching. When he turned in her direction and met her face to face, he squealed and dropped the DVDs from his hands out of surprise.

“HOLLY-M…MARY!! Jeez…” he breathed out and sank into chair next to him. He was totally pale as if all the freckles ran away from his face.

Mary just stared at him. She was absolutely confused herself and became lost for words. She even felt her legs getting numb. “They told me that I was ‘frightful’ at some point. But THIS. No way. Why this got so weird? Poor boy…”She made her best to brace herself, came to Rory and hugged him. His heart was on the verge of breaking out of his chest. He hugged her back and pulled as close as he could. They were motionless for some time until Rory started to breathe normally.

“Yeah…I know, you just came so silently. You should be a spy or something… unless you are already,” he looked Mary in the eyes and removed his hands from her back. “I hope I…I haven’t broken your ribs,” he gave her a warm smile.

Mary sat on the floor and picked some games, “I’m fine. I hope I haven’t given you nightmares,” she said looking at the colorful covers frowning a little. “And I’m sorry,” still without looking at Rory. “Mortal Kombat is my choice,” Mary at last met his eyes.

“I’m the master of this game,” he grinned, turned on the TV and gave Mary a controller.

After few ties they agreed to share the first place and went to kitchen for some tea.

“Lemon?”

“No, thanx,” Mary took a hot cup from Rory’s hand and leant against the wall. “Any plans for tomorrow?” she asked taking a sip carefully.

Rory put a slice of lemon into his tea and sat at a table. “Anything I plan becomes ruined by Alice or Chris. But I don’t mind,” he said chuckling. Mary was glad to notice that all his freckles went back home on his face.

“Oh, I see.”

“Maybe you want me…erm..or me, or Alice take you somewhere?” Rory proposed lowering his voice with each word.

Mary thought for a while and then replied, “Ok, but…I just got here. What’s the rush? Besides I haven’t got tired of you,” she looked him in the eyes and whispered, “yet.” And began to laugh. “Good answer, Joker…”

Rory was only sitting, sipping his tea slowly and looking Mary up and down. He was obviously enjoying the view and maybe giving himself some sort of dirty thoughts, because he started to grow red.

“What do you think are they doing?” Mary asked suddenly.

“Well. Just random things: the guys drinking some beer or maybe something stronger than that. Rob’s likely telling one of his classic-totally-insane-made-up stories. You should listen to one,” he paused, while he was speaking his eyes focused somewhere on the wall, and then continued, “Rou’s just giggling and rolling on the floor or making confessions about cheese or whatever. Chris makes his best to sound clever, maybe counting some things or tries to figure out when actually Rob’s story took place. And Alice, as usual, beside Chris behaving suspiciously or already sleeping. That’s it.” Rory smirked and gazed at Mary.

“And what do you do on such occasions?”

“You should probably ask someone else,” he winked. “I’m not responsible for that.”

“Ri-ight.” Mary finished her drink and put the empty cup into a sinker, “I’ll go then…sleep.” She waved him and left.

“’K, good night!” he followed every movement of her body, waited for some time and went to his room too.
**

“So bright! Wait…green?…I thought my room was totally pink…Oh, well then, it’s probably the sunlight. Sleep a little more…” Mary yawned and dug into the pillow when she heard footsteps. “Who’s stomping there? Elephants?”

“No. Fucking. Way!!” somebody whispered rather loudly.

Mary opened her eyes and saw clearly before her nose Alice’s evil grin. She had never seen people grinning from ear to ear. Just like a Cheshire cat. At that moment a hand landed on her back. Her heart started throbbing because of the rushing ideas in her head and her eyes became glassy. She slowly turned and saw the ginger man in one bed with her still sleeping soundly.

“We’re, like, thought of everything what you could do together alone… But this…I must say…we are too naïve,” Alice suddenly apprehended. “So…”

“NO!” Mary quickly sat on the bed edge, which made the resting-on-her-back hand fall with a slight bang, and put her hand on her mouth realizing that that was too loud. “No, nothing like that…” she begun to confess in a whisper.

Rory started to turn under the blanket and yawned, “What’s the commotion? A war?” He rubbed his eyes and opened them. First of all he recognized Alice with bright eyes and a huge smile standing beside the bed, “Why are you hate me?” he was interested. Alice only pointed her finger at someone to the right. He followed the directions and noticed Mary pulling her fluffy sock with a look of a cat caught stealing a cookie. “Well, hi!” His face lit up.

Mary rolled her eyes, “Stop thinking about..erm..whatever you two thinking about.” She sighed and bit her lip, “I’m a sleepwalker.”

“And what is your superpower?” Rory asked. Alice boxed his ears.

Mary gave him and angry look, “I’m serious. I thought I won’t do it in a new place.” She sat on the bed and looked in a window before her.

“That’s cool. I mean that’s nothing to be ashamed of. I always wondered how it would be to fall asleep in one place and wake in another.” Alice gave her a pat on the back. “Should we lock you for the night or tie to the bed?” They all laughed a little about that.

“No. I’m fine. Don’t worry I’ve never made it to the exit door even. I always end up in a bed or place with someone.” Mary assured them.
**
In the evening Mary-Ann was making random things around the kitchen to keep herself busy. When she was about to fill a kettle with fresh water Rory showed up in the doorstep and knocked on the wall 3 times.

“Need any help?”

She turned to face him and shook her head, “Keeping myself busy. Maybe I can help you?”

Rory looked at her questionable, “Already tired of us?” he came closer and turned off the sink when the water level in the kettle was enough.

“Oh, no. I just don’t really like to sit doing nothing for a long time. And I want to be helpful…and thankful for you guys as well.” She placed the kettle on the heater plate and pressed the button “ON”.

“How about outside?”

“And what is outside?” Mary questioned drying the dishes.

Rory came closer and took the plate from her hand, “It’s glorious outside…Outside are the undiscovered suburbs of St. Albans,” he almost said it into her ear whispering.

“I think I heard it somewhere,” Mary pondered over his words.

“Wait. Who’s ripping us off already?” Rory was confused still very close to Mary’s face but she didn’t notice it.

“Rory what are you doing?” Alice entered the kitchen and passed them straight to the fridge. “Whatever he says to you, Ann, think twice.”

“And what that supposed to mean, dear sis?” He snatched the bottle of mineral water from Alice’s hands she just took from the fridge.

“HEY!” she protested, “Give it back to me!”

Rory raised the bottle into the air so that Alice couldn’t reach it. He wasn’t very much taller than his sister, but he was stronger, so it was easy for him to keep her away at arm’s length. Mary immediately climbed up the stool, grabbed the bottle and disappeared behind the door.

“That’s not fair!” Rory felt upset and went to his room to the sound of Alice’s snigger.
**
The night has already fallen onto St. Albans and Mary said her good-nights to “the family” and crawled onto the cold bed. She made herself a cocoon out of the blanket and stared at the moon peering into her room. It was a long uneventful day. Rory was playing X-box and girls would occasionally come to play with him. Almost everyday was much the same here with occasional awkwardness of Rory towards Mary-Ann.

“Oh, what a day… Rory’s got something on his mind. Well, ok.” Mary-Ann had time to think and drifted into sweet sleep.
**
The next day Mary-Ann stretched all her muscles in the bed and turned to the right where the sun replaced the moon. She slowly opened her eyes, started and put the blanket over her head again.

“What are you doing here, Chris?” she snarled under her protective cover.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok. So if you want another chapter - message/comment. Until then I won't update)))) or maybe not...will see. But the faster you comment the faster I update. Easy, right?