True Love

Brand New Ink.

"I cannot believe you!" Madeline scolded Mia, Mia just rolled her eyes as she grabbed the hamper, emptying its contents into the laundry basket she was holding on her hip, "Are you proud of yourself? Because you have just ruined their lives." Mia began her way down the stairs, Madeline followed, still ranting, "To tell them that...that monster is their father. You just couldn't leave well enough alone, could you? You couldn't stand it!"

"Oh would you shut up," Mia hissed as she began to tear the pieces of clothing out of the basket separating them between whites, dark's and colors, Madeline’s eyes went wide.

"How dare you speak to me like that? I am your mother!" Madeline screamed. Mia spun around, her hands finding their way to her hips.

"Then would you fucking act like it?" Madeline's eyes only went wider, "You're the reason I'm in this mess in the first place. You're the one that put all those ideas in my head when I got pregnant!"

"Oh, you think he was going to stick around and support you?"

"You know what?" Mia quipped calmly, "You just can't stand that you can't control us anymore! You can't stand that Reese married Jason, and you can't stand that I still haven't married Chance!"

"That makes me a bad person?" Madeline sniveled, "Because I didn't want her to have to support a man for the rest of her life? And I didn't want you to have to struggle?" she crossed her arms over her chest.

"Well excuse me for trying to stop you from making mistakes." Madeline seethed.

"What? You mean like me meeting Zack for dinner tonight?" Mia had to hold back her smile as a look of pure hatred overtook Madeline's already angry face.

"Does Chance know?" those words stopped Mia dead in her tracks.

"About dinner?" Mia mustered, but Madeline managed a smile.

"That you told Zachary," she stated simply.

"You wouldn't..." Mia seethed.

"Watch me."

Image


Mia put the SUV in park, staring down at the steering wheel.

Her phone buzzed for what could have only been the hundredth time that evening. She caught Chance's name, pushing the button on top of the phone before shoving it back into her purse. She had taken this as the hint that her mother had told Chance.

She pulled on the door handle, stepping out of the car. She smoothed down her sweater, she and Zack had said casual, very casual. Mia had opted for dark washed boot cut jeans, a pair of black and cream colored striped flats with sparkly gold toes, a fitted white racer-back tank and a baggy cream colored knit sweater, her gold Rolex, and a Louis Vuitton never full bag.

But she glanced up, spotting Zack, who was walking towards her, his smile was wide.

He too was in dark colored jeans, a pair of bright colored Nike's and a Vengeance University t-shirt, which had a picture of a half-dead Marilyn Monroe and he had a folder tucked under his arm.

Mia laughed.

Zack quickly pulled her into a hug.

"What’s so funny?" Zack asked as Mia shook her head.

"That shirt is amazing," she had always adored Marilyn Monroe. In fact, she shared Marilyn's birthday, June 1st. But Zack knew that, and it was in fact, why he had designed the shirt so many years ago.

He felt his smile become even larger, "Oh yeah? Well we will have to get you one, I know the owner." Mia just shook her head as he laid a hand on the small of her back, leading her into the restaurant.

They were quickly seated, Zack had asked for a secluded table.

"God..." Mia started, staring around in wide-eyed wonder, "it smells so good in here," Zack had decided to take her to Roman Cucina's in Newport, it was one of his very favorite places in the world.

"The food is to die for," Zack said, not even looking at the menu, he had been there enough that he nearly had it memorized.

"I don't even know where to start-" Mia mumbled, leafing through the menu, but Zack smiled, grabbing it as he turned the page.

"Try the shrimp speziato," he said confidently, "I know how much you love shrimp and broccoli-" but he stopped, his face going red, "sorry...habit-"

"It’s okay," Mia said smiling before she began to flip pages, her eyes scanning over the menu, "you're right, I want that..." Zack smiled. It felt good to know that after all these years, he still knew Mia.

The waitress took their order along with a bottle of Villa Carfaggio Chianti Classico, one of Mia's favorite red wines. She brought back two wine glasses, a bottle of wine and a bucket to keep it chilled. Zack poured them both a glass.

"So," Mia began as she sipped at her wine, "what’s with the folder? Do you have a business meeting?" Zack bit nervously at his lip.

"Actually..." he began as he opened the folder, scanning over the documents before he slid it across the table, "these are for you..." Mia raised a brow before she began to slowly scan the documents.

"Zack..." Mia mumbled, glancing up, "no Zack this...this is-"

The papers were all valid legal documents which had been amended recently.
Very recent, like...this morning recent.
The first was a copy of his will, stating that in the event of his death, Mia was the executor of his estate, all of which he had left to Mackenzie and Emma.
The second page was an establishment of trust, stating that at 25 both girls would inherit a large trust from Zack.
It also stated that at the age of 25 each girl would inherit twenty-percent of his company, Vengeance University, making them partial owners. He had kept just enough of the company for himself to maintain control.

"Zack this is not why I came back. I cannot take this-" Zack just shook his head.

"I know it's not why you came back. But as a dad, I want to take care of them. If there's anything Jimmy's death taught me," Zack stopped, "it's that I can never be too prepared because I don't know when my number is up..."

Mia closed the folder, reaching across the table taking Zack's hand into hers.

"You..." Mia began, clearly fighting tears, "are going to be such an amazing dad..." Zack smiled, that made his heart swell to hear Mia say that.

Mia bit at her lip, but something caught her eye.

The skin around the collar of Zack's shirt was red and slightly inflamed.

"What’s wrong with your neck?" Mia asked, pointing to her own chest, but Zack glanced down.

"Oh, God..." Zack muttered, "I hope you don't mind..."

"It looks like...like fresh ink," she muttered. Zack raised an eyebrow, smiling, "what? I have my fair share of them...I know what it looks like,"

Zack knew that was true. Zack had gotten a peek at all of her artwork that night which now seemed like so long ago. The elaborate piece on her side, the piece on the top of her right foot and the "bulletproof" that ran over her left shoulder.

Zack was hesitant but pulled at the collar of his shirt.

"It is...it's brand new. I had them done yesterday," he said, finally revealing two tattoos, one running just above each of his collarbones, positioned just above the wings of the green deathbat.

It was black cursive font, which matched the font that on the side of his neck read 'forever'.
His left side read 'Mackenzie Ava', his right reading 'Emma Arin'.

He had gotten his daughters names tattooed on his body.
And it would quickly become his favorite piece of ink.

Mia smiled.

"They are going to freak..." Mia said, not even bothering to hide her smile.

"You're not mad?" Zack asked, Mia just shook her head no, "Where...where are they tonight?" he was hesitant to ask, but he missed them though he wasn't really wasn't sure how that was exactly possible, seeing as he hadn't seen them since the day Mia told them and he hardly knew them....but he did. He missed them. A lot.

"With my sister," Mia said quickly, Zack just nodded.

"I kind of figured they would be with your mom..." he started, but Mia just shook her head.

"She's not really talking to me so..." Mia just drifted off. Zack raised a brow, but he grabbed the wine bottle, filling both their glasses. He figured if they were going to talk about Mia's mother, they would need to be drinking.

"I'm afraid to ask...but why isn't she talking to you?" Mia just shook her head, but Zack's heart sunk, "it's me...isn't it?" Mia remained silent, taking a large gulp of her wine, "She still hates me that much?" Mia sat down her wine glass, thinking about her answer.

"If its any consolation," she started hesitantly, "Reese and Jase have been married for five years and she still hates him...actually I think she basically hates everyone..." Zack just stared at her, "and in her eyes, you will always be that asshole of an eighteen-year-old that got her daughter pregnant." Zack just nodded.

"Fair enough...but she’s not going to keep me away." Mia just nodded.

"I've made that very clear to her." Mia was confident, "She knows she has no control over this anymore. She may have when I was seventeen, but things are different now." they both went silent, but Mia leaned in, "Have you told your parents yet?" Zack just shook his head.

"Not yet, I'm actually still trying to figure out how I want to go about the whole thing..."

But a ring came from inside her purse, her personal cell phone; an iPhone was on silent, which meant that had to be her hospital phone. She pulled the BlackBerry from her purse, Zack let out a chuckle.

"they still make those things?" Mia furrowed her brows as he face fell.

"Its hospital-issued," she began, "and it’s Chance." Zack's face instantly fell, "My mother took it upon herself to tell Chance that I've told you about the girls-" but Mia quickly hit the green button on the phone pressing it to her ear, "Chance, you know you're not supposed to call this line. It’s strictly for business-" she took her head into her free hand, "he is their father, what else was I supposed to do?" she was whispering, "I don't owe you any kind of explanation! No, I do not. You knew this would happen eventually so I don't know why you're so upset. Look I can't talk right now." Mia just rolled her eyes, "Whatever, goodbye Chance." and she hung up on him, throwing the phone back into her purse.

"You're batting for zero, aren't you?" Zack asked sarcastically, but Mia grabbed her glass taking a large swig of wine.

"Sure am." she huffed, "Look," she tucked a stray hair behind her ear, "I'm sorry you had to see that-" Zack just shook her head.

"I should be thanking you..." Mia raised an eyebrow.

"For what? Hiding your kids, lying? Serving you up to my family on a platter like a piece of meat?" she groaned sarcastically.

"for standing up for me..." Zack began, "because you don't have to do that. You're taking shit for me when you don't have to."

But Mia watched as Zack's face fell.

"What’s wrong?" Mia asked, Zack just closed his eyes.

"My ex Gena is here...and she’s coming over here."

And before Mia could say a word a snotty looking blonde appeared at the table. Her lips pursed, arms crossed over her chest. She was in a neon pink colored dress that was far too short. Zack was just shy of squirming in his seat.

"Zachary," she seethed through her overly-bleached smile.

"Gena," Zack responded flatly, but the girl turned, looking Mia up and down much like a cheetah would a gazelle.

"Are you going to introduce me to your friend?" she snarled, but Mia held out her hand letting Gena shake it.

"Mia Winters, Zack's girlfriend. Nice to meet you," Gena's mouth fell open as Zack's tugged into an excited smile.

"You forgot mother of my children," Zack said proudly, Gena fought to speak, but all she managed was a squeak. Gena looked in Zack's direction, offering him a disgusted scoff before tearing off and out of the restaurant.

Zack and Mia began to laugh hysterically everyone around them watching in aggravated wonder.

"That was amazing." Zack said wiping at his eyes.

"Think she hates me?" Mia asked, offering a sly smile. Zack could only manage an excited nod.

"She'll never fuck with me again..."

They would carry on a casual conversation throughout the meal; their encounter with Gena had almost put a damper on the night. Zack could hardly pay attention, Mia's words; 'Zack's girlfriend' rang through his mind like a bad song. He was doing everything he could to be good, especially after their slip up just last week. He would have done anything to be with Mia, but he knew Mia was committed to Chance, or at least...he thought she was.

"And two pieces of tiramisu to go," the waitress said sweetly Zack had ordered it to send home for the girls, the woman handed Mia the bag, "have a great evening and thank you for dining with us." Zack handed the woman the leather folder, telling her to keep the change, and they were on their way.

"I had a really good time..." Mia said as she and Zack stood beside her large SUV. Zack smiled, taking the bag from her he sat it in the backseat.

"Me too...I'm really glad you're back Mia." Zack spoke candidly, earning a smile.

"Me too..." she mumbled.

"Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?" Zack asked, chewing at the inside of his cheek nervously.

"I'm on call for the next thirty-six hours," Zack thought for a moment.

"How about Thursday?" he asked again, Mia thought nodding softly.

"Yeah I'm off, what’s going on?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest.

"I wanted to take you and the girls to the Los Angeles Zoo," he nervously shoved his hands in his pockets, but Mia smiled.

"We would love that..."

"Call me whenever you get a minute or two tomorrow, we can talk about it then," Zack spoke, trying to hide his excitement.

"I can do that," Mia said softly before Zack pulled her in for a hug.

Mia closed her eyes, resting her chin in the crook of her neck, his arms tightly wound around her middle, but she pulled away slowly smiling, "have a good day tomorrow?" Zack said softly, but Mis just nodded.

Zack reached over, grabbing at her door handle, opening the door letting her climb into the driver’s seat.

He hesitantly shut the door and watched as she fastened her seat belt, putting the car into reverse.

He stood watching as she drove away.

He reached into his pocket, pulling out his phone. He dialed quickly; he knew the number by heart. It only rang twice before the woman's voice picked up. Zack walked quickly to his own car, sliding it, letting the engine roar to life form under the hood.

"Hello?"

"Mom, hey it's Zack, can we do family dinner at the house tomorrow night? I need to talk to everyone."
♠ ♠ ♠
The visual.

Okay guys, first of all thanks so much for reading!
I have already started the next chapter, so I know I have some fairly hilarious/big plans.
With that being said, comment and subscribe?
(: