True Love

I Need You.

Zack's eyes flicked through the darkness, the L.E.D green letters glowing from the screen and the city lights breaking through the glass the only light as his eyes drifted to the board just across the room. A lop-sided smile crawling over his exhausted face.

November 3rd, 2014


A siren roared through the night, making a quiet fuss play through the air.

"Shhh, shhhh- hey now, buddy. Momma's trying to get some sleep-" he stood up, his tired feet carrying him back and forth across the small hospital room. He clutched the jade-eyed baby close to his chest rocking him slowly from side-to-side, smiling as the 7 pound, 9-ounce baby boy clutched his finger tight in his tiny hand.

The green pacifier bounced against his tiny rosebud lips as he drifted back to sleep.

Zack smiled before reaching down, placing a soft kiss on his thin chocolate colored hair.

Zack stopped in front of the board, his eyes reading the messy red dry-erase marker for what could only be the hundredth time.

Mason James Baker
November 3rd, 2014 @ 11:47 AM
7 lb. 9 oz. 22 in.
APGAR: 9/10
Mia & Zachary Baker


"You know-" the quiet whisper pulled Zack from the almost-trance like state he had been in.

He turned slowly, smiling as he caught Mia adjusting her sore, tired body in the hospital bed.

"he's not going anywhere, you can put him down..."

Zack just smiled, his eyes scanned the room before falling on the large hospital issue recliner. Emma and Kenzie were nestled close, sound asleep. He walked over placing the baby in Mia's arms before he grabbed a blanket off the end of Mia's bed covering the girls softly.

Mia scooted over in the stiff bed, making room for Zack to sit beside her.

"I just..." he whispered, tucking a strand of stray hair behind Mia's diamond clad ear, "can't believe he's ours..." Mia laid back, Mason curled on her chest, her hands rubbing in gentle circles on his back, soothing the hours-old baby.

"believe it..." she whispered. Mia reached in, pressing a soft kiss to his stubble covered cheek, "this is your life."

Zack smiled, looking from Kenzie and Emma, to Mia and finally, their brand new son.

In that moment, for the first time in Zack's life, it all made sense.
He knew exactly what it all meant.
He knew what true love was...

True love was sitting through a wretched boy band concert then singing along (without a single ounce of shame or regret) later when one of their songs came on the radio.

True love was keeping all their favorite songs on his iPhone, then listening to it when he missed them.

True love was sitting through a movie six rows behind your teenage daughter, then throwing candy at her date when he tried to hold her hand.

True love was sitting through cheerleading try-outs when you weren't even cool enough to sit by them in the cafeteria fifteen years ago.

True love was that extra inhaler you keep in the center console of your car-- just in case.

True love was being the only one who knew exactly why no boy would ever be good enough for your daughters.

True love was deciding to try for another baby- only to find out you were already pregnant.

True love was flying halfway around the world because she wanted to tell you in person you were expecting a baby boy.

True love was realizing you never (ever) stopped loving the girl who sat in the front row of your chemistry class that you failed miserably, all because you couldn't stop watching her.

True love was knowing that no one else in the world could break your heart the way she did, because you'd have never forgiven anyone else.

True love was knowing she was the only real love you'd ever known.

True love was forgiveness,
it was anger,
it was frustration,
and sometimes, it was even hate,
but most importantly, it was forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, here comes the part where I get all mushy.

But I cannot thank you enough.
You have all stuck with me throughout it all, and it truly does mean the world.
I could not ask for a better, more supportive group of people to take this journey with.
Just know that I am eternally grateful for your support, love and encouragement.
I can't wait to start I Had My Heart Set On You (expect it sometime next week!)

P.S.- Someone asked me to at least elude or hint to a baby (I'm blanking on who it was), so I hope this is even better! You get the real thing!...sort of.