True Love

Cookie Crumbles.

"I..." Val started, "we...you...I should-" she was stumbling all over her words, clearly in shock. So she bent down deciding she would begin to clean up the mess.

"No," Mia began as she grasped at Val's shoulders, "no, Val it’s okay...I'll get someone to clean it up." Val stood, her eyes bright and glazed over as she held up both hands, which were full of cookie crumbles, "why don't you guys come in?" Mia finally asked, stepping aside.

"O-okay," Val stammered again as Matt nearly had to push her in the door.

Val and Matt hesitantly followed Mia through the house before Mia walked into what was clearly going to be the living room, "Have a seat," Mia said softly motioning to the couch, "excuse the mess I just...haven't quite finished unpacking yet..."

Mia sat silently, her hands in her lap as she nervously twiddle her thumbs.

Val just stared at Mia in awe.

But Matt? His mind was racing. He couldn't believe it. Mia was sitting right in front of him, hell, she was going to be his next door neighbor. How the hell was he supposed to tell Zack?

" Its really you..." Matt was pulled from his thoughts as Val's voice cut through the brooding silence. Mia just smiled softly, nodding.

Matt couldn't get over Mia, she was gorgeous. She was beautiful in high school, there was never any doubt about that, but something was different. She still had those girl next door dimples, her hair was longer than it had been in the past, and Mia wasn't as tan, but he assumed that was because she had lived in New York and hadn't spent every waking moment on the beach and in the sun, but she had a glow about her. She looked...happy.

Sure it had been years since they had seen Mia, and rightfully he should have hated her, but Mia was his friend in high school, he had always gone to her when he needed to talk about Val or any kind of advice...he had missed her too.

"You look good Mia..." Matt said, interjecting with his very thought. She smiled, nervously brushing a piece of hair behind her ear.

"You look pretty good yourself Shads," she piped, offering him a wink. His smile became wide, "by the way..." Mia began softly, "I am so proud of you guys...you really made it..."

Matt opened his mouth in preparation to thank her, but it was at that moment shrill screams filled the house.

"Get him! Get him! Get him! Get him!" Emma's voice called, Mia closed her eyes as rabid footsteps over took the house.

"Sheldon! Stop! Bad dog!" Mackenzie chided loudly.

It sounded like she had a herd of horses galloping through her house.

It was just a matter of seconds before the small black and white colored French bulldog ran past them, snorting loudly with a pink Chuck Taylor hanging from his mouth.

Mia took a deep breath standing up, "please excuse m-" it was at that moment Mackenzie and Emma tore past her, still screaming at the dog.

But suddenly Gavin walked into the room holding Sheldon tucked carefully under his arm, "Looking for something?" he asked, holding up the tennis shoe as the girls stopped, obviously pouting. Gavin smiled, handing the shoe back to Emma, who had only one shoe on, her other foot bare. She had obviously been trying to put her shoes on when the dog took off with it, "who's a good boy?" Gavin asked scratching at the dogs chin.

Though Sheldon was Mia's dog, Gavin had brought him to California with him, it was one less thing for Mia to worry about in the move. After all, Sheldon was her baby, he was only eight months old.

"Obviously not Sheldon, he took my shoe," Mia crossed her arms over her chest.

"You have a shoe rack for a reason Emma, you know he likes tennis shoes. Put them up, or it’s your fault."

"Mooooooom!" Emma whined.

Mia just rolled her eyes, she had almost forgotten Matt and Val were there.

That is...until she turned around.

Her stomach sank.

Matt and Val were both clearly in even more shock. Their mouths hung open, their eyes wide.

Mia cleared her throat, "Matt...Val..." Mia began softly pulling Emma and Mackenzie on either side of her, "these are my daughters, Emma and Mackenzie..." Mia stopped, giving them a moment as they glanced back and forth between the girls, "girls, this is Matt and Val, my friends from high school."

"Nice to meet you..." the girls chorused, smiling widely.

"How old are you?" Val blurted, anger becoming evident in her voice. Emma and Mackenzie both glanced up at Mia, who was taking a deep breath, her eyes closed tight.

"We just turned thirteen..." Emma said quickly.

"Girls!" Madeline's voice called loudly as she walked into the living room, "The delivery truck is here, go upstairs so we can show the men where to put everything." she stated, more than asked, knowing Mia was in a bit of a...mishap.

"Go..." Mia huffed pushing them towards her mother.

The girls ran off without hesitation, Mia sat down slowly.

She had to gather the courage to look at Matt and Val.

"You were pregnant..." Val hissed, tears forming in the corners of her eyes.

"You don't know that..." Val's mouth fell open.

"Do not lie to me Mia." she was seething.

"Maybe they're not Zack's," Mia defended, crossing her arms tightly over her chest. Val stood up quickly, pointing towards upstairs.

"The hell their not!" she almost creamed as tears began to stream down her face, "They have his bone structure! They have his eyes!" Matt grabbed onto Val, pulling her back down onto the couch.

"Val just...slow down." Val glared at Matt.

"You're defending her?" she hissed towards her husband. Matt rolled his eyes.

"No, I'm not. Look I'm not fucking happy with her either, but maybe we should listen to her." Mia took a deep breath, taking a moment she thought.

"I was pregnant. Zack had the band, it wasn't realistic for him to become a father."

"So you kept it from him?" Val hissed. Matt just glared at her.

"Do they know?" Matt asked simply.

"About their father?" Matt just nodded yes, "No, I told them that one day I would tell them everything, but at the time we were young. They're not angry, they've been patient. And they want to meet him, when I am ready. But for the time being, the man I am with is, in their eyes, their father." Matt nodded slowly.

"You have to tell them." Matt said simply, but stern. Mia nodded.

"And I plan too,"

"Now." Mia closed her eyes.

"Matt I can't just drop that kind of bomb on him."

"We'll have a barbeque tonight, you come. Bring the girls."

"Matt I-" Matt held up a hand, stopping her.

"You don't have to tell him tonight, but I'm giving you two weeks. And if he doesn't know by then? I'm telling him." Mia took a deep breath, nodding hesitantly. She let out a deep breath, dabbing the tear forming in the corner of her eye.

"Okay...fair enough." Matt stood up without a word, he stared at Mia for a moment before pulling her up off the couch into his strong arms. Wrapping her tightly he kissed at her temple.

"Its good to have you back..." he whispered, just for the two of them to hear.

"Be at the house tonight at eight," Val spat, pulling them from their hug, "don't be late." she hissed before taking off for the door.

"Just...give her some time?" Matt said softly, again, Mia could only nod, "See you tonight?"

"Be there at eight..." she mumbled softly ads Matt walked for the door.

She knew coming back to California was a mistake...
♠ ♠ ♠
I am completely overwhelmed at how well this has already done.
Seriously, thank you guys SO much.
I hope you all liked it.
However, please be patient.
I have finals next week, so I promise I'll try to update a.s.a.p if not late next week at the very latest.
Also I did some changing around with the characters, in case you wanted to take a look.

So in the meantime, comment & subscribe?
Thanks so much for reading :)