True Love

The Truth.

"Where are you going?" Chance asked over the movie which was booming through the surround sound.

"More popcorn..." Mia said softly grabbing the bowl, Chance leaned his head back, puckering his lips. Mia let out a laugh before leaning down kissing him softly.

"Get a room!" Kenzie and Emma chimed almost in unison, making Chance and Mia laugh.

Mia walked into the kitchen grabbing another bag of popcorn from the cabinet before tossing it into the microwave.

It was Chance's last night in California and though the girls were completely overjoyed to see him, they were already upset over his looming departure. Mia had been dodging phone calls and text message from Zack by the dozen, she hated to do it, but Mia just couldn't deal with the drama right now.

She walked quietly back into the living room as the popcorn 'popped' from in the kitchen. Mia smiled, watching into the living room. The sight before her had always melted her heart. Chance was sitting smack dab in the middle of the couch, one girl laying on each side of him their heads laying on his chest while he had one arm wrapped around each of them. He was comfortably tucked under the girl’s character blankets, all while Sheldon slept peacefully on his lap.

They had always done this when they were younger. It took them awhile to figure out how to leave the house with two little ones, so movie night was always a great standby.

She smiled as Chance glanced over noticing her staring at him.

He winked at her, making her heart flutter.

She blew him a soft kiss.

But the doorbell echoed through the house, "I'll get it," Mia mumbled softly before opening the door, but standing in front of her was Zack. He was in jeans and a button up plaid shirt, his hands shoved deep into his pockets.

"Who is it baby?" Chance's voice called, but Mia cringed as Zack's eyes went wide.

"Salesman babe," She called stepping out onto the porch, closing the door tight behind her.

"So that's why you won't take my calls..." he spat before looking away. He couldn't even bring himself to look at her, "what was I just some kind of toy?" he asked, hate dripping from his every word.

"he just showed up, okay?" Mia defended, "Look..." Mia groaned running her fingers through her hair, "he leaves tomorrow, I promise I'll call you okay? Just please Zack...please. For the girls..."

His heart sunk.

He thought for a moment but nodded.

And he walked away silently, getting into his car.

Mia walked back into the house.

"What was that all about?" Chance called quickly but without missing a beat Mia answered.

"They just wanted me to sign some sort of petition..."

And that was all it took.
By nine the next morning the girls were putting Chance on his plane.
The goodbye was tear-filled but Mia would have expected no less.

The girls walked slowly before scooting into the backseat of the Range Rover. Mia got in the driver’s seat and went to put her keys in the ignition, but stopped as she laid her hands on the steering wheel.

"How does Pinkberry sound?" Mia asked, the girls just stared at her.

"Mom you know it's not even ten a.m. right?" Kenzie asked but Mia just nodded, silently answering the girl’s question.

"So...Pinkberry?"

They stopped picking up the yogurt and headed down to a spot on the beach Mia knew would be quiet.

They drug the blanket Mia made a point to keep in the car out onto the sand all of them opting to leave their shoes in the car.

"So..." Mia began as she mashed her spoon into her yogurt which was quickly becoming a kiwi-pineapple-black berry mess, "I think...I think it's time we have the talk..."

Emma and Mackenzie both looked at her, knowing full well what Mia actually meant. They knew this wasn't 'the talk' most kids their age would get. No, it would be the talk that would change their lives.

"Are you guys ready for this?" Mia asked, taking one hand into each of hers, lacing their fingers tightly, "And you know you can tell me if you aren't...I won't be mad. I promise, what I'm about to tell you has big implications. It will change your lives..."

Emma and Mackenzie stared at each other for a moment.

"We're ready..." Mackenzie asked as she took Emma's free hand into hers, "right?" Emma looked at her sister.

"We are..." Mia nodded letting out a deep breath. She had thought about this moment a million times in her mind. Was she doing the right thing? She had to believe that she was.

"We were so young..." Mia started as she looked between the girls placing a gentle kiss to both of their temples, "he wasn't ready. But...he knows now. I told him and...he really wants to meet you guys. He wants to be in your life and I feel like I robbed him of that chance thirteen years ago..." the girls both scooted in close wrapping Mia in their arms, "I know this is going to be hard...but I need you guys to promise me you’re going to give him a chance..." the girls both nodded without any hesitation.

"Mom?" Emma chimed softly, Mia could tell she was upset.

"Yeah baby?" She asked running her hand in gentle circles over Emma's back.

"What about daddy?" Mia thought for a moment.

"I don't know baby. Daddy and I are going to try and make things work...and he will always love you but I think we owe it to your dad to be his family too..."

"Who is he?" Kenzie's voice cracked softly as she reached up wiping at a stray tear.

Mia had never expected this moment to be so emotional.

She swallowed hard, holding the girls even closer.

"Zack..." Mia finally managed.

Image


Zack was slumped back into his couch.

He hadn't left the house in two days.

He hadn't bothered to shave or shower. Ichabod and Majesty had been his only company and he was perfectly content with that. He had been avoiding his family for the past two days, he had them all believing he had come down with some sort of stomach flu. His friends had been gracious enough to give him his space.

Zack was watching Night of the Living Dead for what could only have been the thousandth time.

He let out a loud groan as his phone began to vibrate across the coffee table.

He had intentions of ignoring it, but the name flashing across the screen wouldn't allow him to do that, because it was Mia.

He thought for a moment, he seriously contemplated not answering.

But something within him just wouldn't let that happen. So instead he slid his finger across the screen pressing the phone to his scruffy face, "Hello..." he huffed, laying his free hand over his forehead before he began to massage his temples.

"Hey..." her voice played over the line, "are you home? I need to see you, it’s about the girls..." Zack sat up quickly.

"Yeah, is something wrong?" he began to frantically look around, not only was he a mess but so was his place.

"Can I stop by?" he flew up off the couch instinctively grabbing every single thing he could manage to fit under his arm.

"Yeah," he huffed nervously.

"Text me your address, I can be there in twenty..." and without another word, she hung up.

He was in a panic, he cleaned the house up the best he could manage before practically throwing himself in the shower. He shaved, and he wasn't sure how but he hadn't managed to shave the skin right off his face. He threw product in his wet hair, slicking it back before pulling on a pair of jeans. He was pulling the clean Vengeance University t-shirt over his head just as the doorbell rang.

Zack bounded down the steps as he quickly corralled Ichabod and Majesty outside, leaving them in the backyard to play.

The doorbell rang once more.

Zack moved quickly, just short of jogging for the front door.

He twisted the handle, pulling it open. And there she stood, she was biting at her bottom lip. She had on boot cut dark washed jeans and a thin black colored long sleeve shirt that only covered one shoulder, she was carrying a purse that was an almost obnoxious shade of pink. He had seen that bag before, and he knew it was pricey. Val had asked Matt for one, but when he found out what they actually retailed for (and not the price she had tried to get him to believe) he told her no, but Zack's lips curled into a small smile. She was wearing a pair of black Converse, his girl was still in there.

She glanced over Zack, hesitating for a moment, "hey..." her voice trailed off as she tucked a piece of her curled chocolate hair behind her ear, "I'm sorry this was so sudden..." Mia said, but before Zack had a chance to speak the girls stepped out from behind her. Both girls were in jean shorts, but one had on a magenta colored top with thick straps and a blue bow tied around her middle, while the other girl wore a navy-colored tank top that read 'Love and Juicy', both of them were wearing classic white Converse.

"I..." Zack started, but he fell silent. The girls just stood silently, looking the man up and down.

"They know..." Mia mumbled softly, biting at her lip before a single crocodile tear rolled down her porcelain face.

"Please..." Zack began, his voice cutting in and out, "please don't hate me..." but before he could manage another word both girls stepped forward. Wrapping him in a hug.

He stood motionless, he was sandwiched between the girls much like he had seen them do to Mia many times before. Zack looked from Mia, who had tears welling in her eyes to his sides, at his daughters. He gently reached up, wrapping his arms around both of the girls, his grip tightening with every passing second.

And it was then that he too started to cry.
♠ ♠ ♠
The visual.

So this is slightly shorter than usual, but this was a pretty major chapter.
I debated back and forth for awhile on how I wanted this to play out, and this is what I went with.
I really hope you guys liked it.
Thank you so much for reading.
Seriously, you're all amazing.

I hope to have the next chapter out soon.
I'm home sick, and I'm all caught up on classwork.
So this is what I have to keep myself company.
Comment & Subscribe? I really appreciate it.

Also, I have a new blog entry up, please read it. It has some info on this story you guys are probably going to want to pay attention to.