The Newsies

Chapter 11

CHAPTER ELEVEN

As you may know already, Jack's dream was to go to Santa Fe. But, the main reason of going was to get away from his old life (his friends, the newises, and selling papes in New York) and start his new one (Settle down on a ranch in Santa Fe with a beautiful girl). He now knew this part of his dream had been crushed when, as he watched his friends hop off the train and rush down the sandy dusty ground with arms raised and voices screaming "I'm Free".

"Hey, hey! Look, what is that?!" Mush said walking up to a tall green cactus. It was obviously an old cactus, for it lost most of the colors on it, but its spikes were bigger than any cactus in ol' Santa Fe.

"Hey Mush! Don't touch tha--" Jack yelled to him, knowing that Mush was quite dim-witted and the plant was even smarter than him. Jack tried to warn Mush, but... It was too late.

"OW!" Mush screamed horrified at the surprising prick the spike had on his finger. All newises began laughing as they patted Mush's back and hurried off into the distance.

Santa Fe was not exactly how Jack imagined, but it was close. He saw many people there dressed like cowboys and women with two pigtails and boots. The boys ran on for hours searching around the large place, when suddenly, Jack remembered Davey.

"Hey... Fellas!" All ears turned to Jack as he spoke. "If we're tryin' tah find Davey, we need tah follow de people who were following us!" He called to them, with strength in his voice. Newises joined in shouting and screaming.

"So, listen 'ere!" Jack suddenly lowered his voice and turned to Spot. "You go tell 'im all dat de Smugglas are over dere, kay?" Jack ordered. Spot, looking surprised that Jack had the guts to step up and order around the highest kid in all of Brooklyn, nodded and whispered in every ear the words Jack had spoken. Jack watched the crowd of Newsies turn around and watch the Smugglers run off. Jack's eyes widened at the sight.

"Hey, look!" Boots yelled, pointing at the smugglers.

"They've got Davey!" Race shouted, with a pinch of joy and a bit of fright.

"FOLLOW 'EM!" Jack shouted chasing towards the smugglers. He looked back behind while he ran to see him leaving his dream home. 'Santa Fe...I can't spend my whole life hidin'.... Now's my chance! Who knows when my next one'll be! Santa FE! ...Please....Wait for me...' Jack thought. Not only in his mind, but his heart. The words, 'Wait for me' stuck in his head, as he muttered the silent words, 'Save my place, Santa Fe....I'll be there...'. The kind of lump that goes in your throat when you hear someone sing a lullaby stuck in his throat as he ran on and on, having to forget his dream, but never forgetting his place in Santa Fe. Suddenly, Jack's thoughts left him when Race purposely bashed into him knocking him over. Race, being dramatic, had grabbed onto Jack's words about 'not wanting them' and hung their the whole time. His face had been twisted, his words had been foul and his eyes had been burning. He just wasn't himself. If Jack didn't want him, then he had no point in life. He had no family, no sister or brother or loving gentle mother, he would have to live by himself. He couldn't do that, so he took his anger out on everyone around him.

"Here, Jack." Mush said, putting his blood covered hand out to help him up. His finger had still been bleeding and now dried up, leaving the crevices clean and untouched.

"Yeah, thanks..." Jack plopped his hand in Mush's and pulled himself to his feet, immediately shooting off right after towards Race. He remembered what he had said to poor Racetrack and knew he should apologize, but knew he couldn't, due to his pride.

"Hey, Race! You got some noive!" (Which means 'nerve' in New York) "Knocking down your ol' pal Jack!" He said this with what looked like a smile on his face as his eyes met up with Race's.

"Yeah..." Race replied, keeping a steady pace with his running, but not with his mind. "You got that right, Kelly!" Jack was surprised at Race calling him by his last name. "Old pal! Not anymore..." He sped up to get out of Jack's reach and earshot so he could say more rude things under his breath. Jack didn't like this. He, as well, sped up and came side by side with Race.

"Whaddya twalkin' 'bout?" He asked trying to sound nice. "I'm still your pal...Right?" At this Race stopped and Jack didn't even notice 'til a while later when he looked back to see Race way behind him. Spot was now next to Jack, and decided to tick him off.

"Hey, girlfriend trouble?" Jerry laughed at his mean remark, along with some other kids.

Finally, after a long while, the boys saw the smugglers hop into a hole and throw in Davey's body. They knew that the smugglers had no guards, so they immediately dashed to the hole.

"Okay..." Jack whispered. "You all stay here and cova for us! But you guys,--" Jack pointed to a couple of boys, "You come with me." The boys nodded, as the called on boys followed Jack into the cave. The tunnel leading to the main cave was well lit, until a while it became pitch black.

"Hey, Jack. You still dere?" Jerry asked.

"Yeah, why? You scared wid out me? Wanna hold my hand?" Was Jack's reply. A few boys chuckled, while Race, being hit by Jerry, who thought he was Jack, jumped at the hard punch Jerry threw.

"Hey, wouldja get ya fingahs owff my shoulda!" Jack said.

"Who?"

"Whoever has their fingahs on my shoulda!" He replied.

"Not me..."

"Me neither.." The boys stopped awhile and noticed that they all had something on them. Race brought out his packet of matches, for he carried them everywhere, and struck one. The boys eyes adjusted to the dim light and noticed what was on them. Black widows, wolf spiders, scorpions, tarantulas and other freaky weird arachnids. Jerry, who had always been terrified of spiders, opened his mouth to scream, but Jack slapped his hand on his mouth and flicked the spiders off him. Everyone was shaking them off when suddenly, one of them screamed. The boys stopped because as soon as the boy screamed, the dim light went out.

"Who got hurt?" Jack asked, waiting for a reply. Quickly Snipeshooter grabbed Race's match box and struck a match. Jack quickly jumped to the ground, putting his hand on the wide black widow bite on Racetrack's leg.

"OW!!" Race screeched. Jerry looked away. Boots gagged. Snipeshooter flinched. Jack, who knew his friend was not going to make it, teared up.

"Hey! Stop... I'll be fine." Race said, trying to believe his own words. Jack tried to smile. Tears stung his eyes, but never were released. Race, trying to stay calm and taking after what he saw Jack do, stood up, but his bones were weak and felt like they were breaking. Jack shot up and stomped to the wall. He knew deep down that Race was a human, and a friend, and should be treated like one. But his mind told him, he shouldn't treat him at all. He didn't care about Race, because at this point he wanted to see the face of Davey and the mysterious Frankie.

"Hey, where you goin'?" Boots asked, helping Race to lie down.

"Leave 'im." Jack said, turning around to look at them. "He's no use now." The boys exchanged looks as the sound of chattering voices echoed through the wide cave.