The Newsies

Chapter 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

Now, of course you know that Jack's personanlity could be very much like those of the smugglers. Leaving others to die, not even helping one another and giving up easily. However, his thoughts had been different. He knew he'd done wrong by letting those horrible words slip through his lips. And so, now I shall leave you wondering of the reactions and actions of those he spoke the devious words to, and I shall go to the others (Smugglers and Davey) and the envy of Jack may be forgotten. (Though I will go back and it shall be even more of a shock than if I had went on and on about it which I am doing right now.)

"C'mon, you nasty li'l scoundrel!" A Smuggler shouted. "Quit draggin' your legs!" The man jerked Davey's still body and threw him to the ground.

"I...I can't move them..." Davey began to say, the words he spoke just barely slipping out.

"Of course you can't!" Frankie said. "The waist down is still paralyzed by my paralysis guns!" His voice rumbled through the cave, like a great thunder in an open prairie.

"Uh, Mistah Jacks'n, sir?" A jittery, odd looking Smuggler said, rubbing his stubby dirty hands together. "Wh-what'er we gunna do widda kid?" His voice cracked. Frankie shot the man a very horrid look. His eyes were furious but his mouth shut. He turned to a buff scary looking man and nodded. As he did this he spoke,

"The man wants to know why we stole the child?" He stomped his thick boots on the cave's hard rock ground. He stomped to Davey, who was on his knees, and grabbed his cheek mockingly. All the Smugglers laughed, as if these words were a joke. "Well," Frankie began again looking at the Jittery man. "How 'bout we demonstrate what we gunna do'z to da kid, huh?" He tilted his head and snatched a gun away from the buff man. He then cocked the silver long gun and placed the gun to the jittery man's head. Davey's heart pounded horridly. His lips pressed together tightly, trying to keep silent. He could hold no longer,

"NO! Please....Please, don't...." Davey lowered his head, knowing he'd have a disgustingly cruel punishment as well for speaking up.

"Do you know the man?" Frankie asked, sarcastically.

"Well-- No?" Davey replied, quite confused.

"Why should you care about this--- lousy scoundrel?"

"He is a human being, as am I! Why should I not care for a brother as he?" Davey said, obviously quoting his father. The Smugglers stood still, wondering of what these intelligent words had for a meaning.

"Well, he is no brother. See, you, being a city child have a family, money, house--- a heart!" Frankie finally said. "While the man has nothing but the opportunity to rob people like you and the guts to do it! So, why care about a Scoundrel such as he?" Davey looked up with pity in his eyes.

"Scoundrel or not. Guts have nothing to do with it. You can give up on the bad things, but the good things will always be there. Being a human being-- a living soul-- we are made to have goodness, our minds were given free will, we take that the wrong way... But you can always give up, and start over. No one can tell you what to do, or how to do it... They can only suggest a thing of your agreement shall be passed." Davey's eyes twinkled with love and sweetness. Obviously, Davey shown the example of a true human being. Being honest, brave, intelligent and most of all loving to what the word free will stands for. But, the Smugglers had no reason to listen to his garbage, so, being horribly rude and cruel, Frankie pulled the trigger.