The Newsies

Chapter 17

Jack's nose suddenly stuffed. Slowly opening his eyes, he began to see what had been stuffing them up. Jaw dropped and eyes as big as soccer balls, Jack hopped to his feet. He had noticed that the Smugglers must have known they were following them so they began to set things on fire. The fire popped, crackled and spread further and further. At every crackle the fire got louder. The sound of burnt wood cracking in halves echoed through the messy stable.

"Hey, Boys!" Jack yelled loudly. The sound of his strong voice made the rest of the boys flinch. The first one up was Skittery, who, when seeing the fire, screamed and began to run around trying to get out. He immediately turned around and ran as fast as he could, not realizing there was a wall right there, and smashed face first into the scorching hot wall. Jack rolled his eyes. "-- Get up! Everyone help!" Jack ordered. Looking around Jack noticed that Spot wasn't at all moved by the fire. He looked not only calm but almost happy. Jack tilted his head to the side and called louder this time. "Everyone includes you Spot!" Spot jumped a little and looked at Jack wide eyed. Finally, he nodded and grabbed a broken board. Jack huffed in suspicion.

"Hey, Jack!!" Race yelled. All eyes turned to the horrible help seeking cry he had just made. Jack ran to him. "Where's Les?" Everyone rolled their eyes and went back to trying to get the burning wood out of the way of the door. Jack leaned closer to Race.

"Hey, next time, don't yell like youse been hoit!!" Jack said. "You scared the crud atta us!" Race sunk into his shoulders in embarrassment. He nodded and walked over to help the boys. Jack walked further into the haystacks and saw Les huddling in a corner. A flash of pure fright was in his small beady eyes.

"Les?" Jack tried to tell him to come. For some reason, Les looked like he didn't trust him. Jack dashed towards him and ran him out of the room. "What's da matta which you?" Jack scolded. "How come ya didn't answer my call?" Les looked at him. His eyes were still frightful. His lips, curved down showing that he was about to cry.

"I-I-" Les seemed like he was traumatized. Jack put a hand up to stop him.

"Look, I'm sorry! You don't have to talk. Now, come on.." He said, moving to the rest of the boys. Smoke was rising all around them in big black clouds. Mush, surprisingly, stepped in and took his hat off. Everyone was getting overwhelmed with heat. Mush had finally decided to help when he rolled his sleeves up and lifted his hands to the big plank blocking their way. He gripped the edges and lifted with all his might, moving the plank with ease. Sunlight pushed itself inside the burning room. Everyone stared in awe..

"Hey! Ya idiots! Lets get atta here!" Mush said, snapping his fingers. Taking one quick look at their neighbors, the boys dashed out of the stable, coughing and stumbling. Racetrack ran to a lamp post and held on tight, for he was weaker than before. He began to cough so hard, it seemed he'd cough his own lungs out. His small round face began to grow red. He slowly lowered himself to sit. Before anyone could notice Race, Spot ran in front of him to hide him from their sight.

"Hey! Guys look!" Spot shouted. All eyes turned to where his finger pointed. Jack's eyes widened at the sight. The smugglers hadn't burnt only one building, the Williams family house was burning as well. Jack shot to the house.

"WAIT! It is not SAFE!" Skittery shouted but was unheard. Jack's legs moved faster than ever. He huffed with his last breaths in him not caring if he was out of breath. Finally he reached the house. Breaking the door down, he ran into it, panicking a bit.

"Belle? Papa?" He called. He called every name and waited for an answer. He listened but the only sounds were the ones of the roaring fire. He made himself run up the stairs and opened the main bedroom. His eyes widened at the huge fire that had taken the whole room. He saw only the partially burnt shoes still on the feet of both Mr. and Mrs. Williams who lie in their final resting places on the master bed. Jack's eyes stung with tears. His body developed an odd feeling. He had never felt like this before. He began to run to the children's bedroom. When he realized that Wendy, Thomas and Joseph's room were completely collapsed. His heart pounded hard and he felt a horrible feeling in his stomach. He noticed that this family, so sweet and innocent, had all died and did NOT deserve it. Suddenly he heard a voice calling his name. He turned and saw that the next room was Belle's. He ran to it and broke the door down. The fire had not taken the whole room. The bed still lay untouched by flames, and Belle was hiding under it. Jack's face filled with fright, he hoped not to make a mistake to save this young lady. He bent down and reached his hand out to her.

"Take my hand!" He shouted over the sound of crackling fire. Belle looked at this heroic face. The brave cowboy, Jack Kelly, had come to rescue a stranger. It reminded her of Jack Belasco. Reaching her hand towards his, she did as he said. Her small dainty fingers clasped his hand. He pulled her all the way out and over his shoulders. He carried the fragile woman to the streets and lay her down.

"Wait! My father and mother! Wendy, Joseph, Thomas-- Where are they?" She asked, terrified. Jack's eyes filled with tears as he looked up and said.

"They.. They're gone..." He looked down. She gasped. Her eyes twinkled. Tears began to streak down her face as she sobbed into her dirty burnt hands.

"I've lost--- E- Everything!" She yelled, angry and sad. An overwhelming rush of sadness went across Jack. He fell to his knees next to her. As his eyes filled with more tears. For the first time in his life, he blinked the horrible forgotten emotional liquid out of his eyes. He began to cry then sob. He was thinking about how Belle had everything: Family, friends, money, a house.
And she lost it all in one fire. Just as he lost everything. For the first time he cried out loud (and very loud). Race was sitting by the post and saw him crying. His eyes widened. He quickly stumbled to Jack. Resting his hand on his shoulder he began to whisper hoarse words.

"Its okay Jack...Its okay.. I am here." He said, very scratchy. Jack had felt so sentimental that he actually loved the sound of Race's voice. Although hoarse, Jack heard an angel's voice. He plunged his face into Race's chest, making small pathetic squeaking noises followed by streaming tears. Race hugged Jack tighter and said, "Don't cry..." Jack rubbed his eyes and wiped the tears away. He took one look at Race's pale sickly face and began to cry again.
Skittery saw this and immediately was on his knees beside them.

"Why's he crying? What happened? Is he okay!? He's never cried before!" Skittery said, faster than ever. Race rolled his eyes and put a finger to his own lips meaning, "Shush". Skittery held his mouth and nodded.

Jack thought about his father being a bandit and his mother being deceased. He thought of how he had no family that loved him. Jack knew that he shouldn't cry, but didn't care. He kept sobbing into Race's arms when suddenly they heard a voice scream.

"HELP! JACK!" Jack's head shot up to this familiar voice. He couldn't see much due to the tears in his eyes but heard one of the Newsies yell, "Its Davey!!" Everyone stopped and looked. Jack wiped the tears away and sniffed finally regaining his sight to see the Smugglers and Frankie holding Davey back. Frank had a gun to Davey's head. All the boys ran after them, including Jack. After getting pretty close to the Smugglers, Frankie cocked the gun and tilted his head.

"Uh-uh.." He said, "Hand over the pin, thief!" He moved the gun tip to Jack and pointed to the silver pin his father had given him. "Now! Or I will shoot..." Spot slowly walked to the crowd of Smugglers. Surprisingly, they let him come. Not shooting or tackling. Then he stood next to Frankie, arms crossed and face horribly cross, he leaned to him and said,

"Shoot 'im..."