The Newsies

Chapter 18

Obviously, the words Spot spoke astonished not only the Newsies but the Smugglers. He was only a kid to the Smugglers (and forgetting that himself, constantly acted older than the men themselves) but he was a friend to the Newsies. Jack was as red as a pepper. His anger was going toward the Smugglers for killing the Williams family at first but it now turned to Spot. He knew Spot had been working for them the whole time. He knew Spot had something to do with the deaths of the Williams family. Jack was angrier than ever.

"Whatsa matta Jacky-boy? You afraid of some foreign leader? You said I had no control ovah youse, well... Now I do! I can tell you if and when you'll die!" Spot said, smirking. He bravely took a step towards Jack, who was now about to erupt. Spot kept walking until he was face to face with Jack and smiled. He did his annoying cocky head bob and gave him a sly look.

"Whaddya mean, Spot? Youse gonna shoot me?.. Huh?" Jack said, trying not to make any sudden moves, for Frank still had a gun tip pointed at him.

"Nah..." He said shaking his head. Spot turned around and walked a little towards the Smugglers. He stopped and looked back. "I am gonna give da signal of WHEN to shoot ya, Jacky-boy..." Just then Spot nodded his head at Frank. Frankie looked down the gun's top and aimed the shot directly at Jack. Jack's eyes widened. He knew that Spot wouldn't hesitate and knew that the end was drawing nearer. He squeezed his eyes and turned his head away. He heard the sound of the gun firing and flinched.... Noticing he didn't feel any pain, Jack opened one eye and looked at the gun that had smoke coming out of it. He then looked down at what should be his own dead body lying on the floor but instead saw someone else. His eyes widened at the sacrifice made. He quickly bent down over the still body.

"Buddy? Can you hear me? Skit...?" He put his hands on the bullet wound near his heart. He turned Skittery over and looked at his face. He was smiling.

"Hey Jack..." He said, with a paranoid look in his eye. Jack laughed a bit while a tear squeezed out.

"Heya, Skit.. Howya doin'?" He asked subtly. His face ached from the smile that stretched across his face. He sniffed away some tears and waited for an answer, patiently. Skittery groaned a bit and tried to sit up.

"Not too well..." Was his answer. Jack laughed at Skittery's emotions. He had never seen Skittery handle something so hard this well. He looked over at the rest of the newsies who looked devastated. Spot stepped in with a devious smirk on his face. He bobbed his head, as he did when trying to intimidate his enemy. Racetrack rolled his eyes at this annoying action Spot made. He fell down, due to his weakness, wishing he had the strength to beat his little smirk right off his horrible face. Mush saw this in Race, smiled and nodded. He walked over to Spot. Spot looked over at him with a confused face. Mush lifted his fist high in the air and punched him right in the face, sending him flying and skidding on the ground. Mush cracked his knuckles and walked back to his normal position, trying to stay casual. But the Smugglers saw the whole thing. Frank cocked his gun again to shoot Mush instead. The first thing the Newsie did was turn around and clear the space behind him. He grabbed Kid Blink, who was standing directly behind him and jumped off to the side, leaving the bullet flying across the town and never hitting a soul.

"Alright, thats enough." Frankie sighed. He walked up to Jack and pulled him away from Skittery. Jack struggled and kicked, yelling and screaming, but Frankie's grip was too strong. He saw some kids go over to Skittery and aid him a bit. Frank slammed Jack into a brick wall.

"Boy... Its high time you learned the truth--" Frank said. He pointed at Jack's silver pin and finished. "About this pin..."