The Newsies

CHAPTER 24

And so, after fighting off smugglers, saving their friend Davey, suffering from a loss, changing their spirits and hearts; all the Newsies learned a life long lesson.--- Wait... lets see what happened with Mush's problem.

Mush's big boots (Too big for his own feet) slammed on the ground as he paced back in forth in the Sheriff's office. He pondered the thought of abandoning the boys for the PD before finally coming to the conclusion that he must go back. His heart raced as he thought about this. One nod, three steps and one turn of the doorknob. He stopped in the middle of turning it.

"OH MAN! What am I gonna do?" His lips pressed against each other. "How am I going to talk with them? Am I even gonna talk with them?" He began to sweat. "YES! Of course, I must! Its the right thing to do... Or... Is it?" His indecisiveness began to kick in. His brown eyes twitched as he turned the knob more and forced himself through the door, once out (or in) he slammed right into the Mayor.

"Mr. Mayor-sir..." Mush exclaimed, tipping his hat.

"Young man... " Windley leaned in. "You haven't lost yet..." He winked and leaned back. "Those boys STILL have not lost faith in you. Feel free to return to your normal life." He smiled and stepped back to clear the opening for Mush. "Go on! New York awaits your arrival." The man's rosy-red cheeks glistened as he chuckled in the jolliest way.

"Why, thank you sir." Mush said tipping his ranger hat and suddenly missing his old Newsboy hat. He threw off the hat, ripped off the badge, untied the holster, and ran back to his friends who IMMEDIATELY accepted him back. "Hey, Spot." Mush said, slowly and reluctantly walking towards Spot.

"Uh...Hiya, Mush." He said smiling. There was a long pause that was broken suddenly when Spot spat on his own hand and held it in front of Mush. Mush, nodding and laughing, did the same to Spot and they shook on it.

That night, the boys were invited to the Mayor's speech. They sat down and listened to every word.

"--and... None of this could've been possible if..." Mayor Windley smiled and looked at Jack. "If it were not for these young boys from New York." He shouted. All citizens smiled and clapped for them, as the Newsies, one by one, made their way up to the stage. They all pushed Jack to the front and told him to give a speech.

"Uh--well..." Jack said, once all had silenced. "Y'know... I've always wanted to come to Santa Fe and live here... Once I made enough money to pay for my trip...." All the citizens got excited and hopeful.
"--But... After spending my fair share of time wid my friends here in Santa Fe.. I-I think I've had my fill of this foreign place." He looked at Davey and then Spot. "As...As a wise man once said, 'Everyone can change.' And... I think being here in Santa Fe made me realize how much I didn't know myself. I believe I met myself here. As some of you may know, I lost a dear friend of mine here... And as his woids still lingah. I tink dat no mattah what..." He smiled at his friends. "No mattah where... I'll always be happy as long as I know who I am... I believe that now my angah and frustration has left me..and--" A tear dripped from his eye but no sign of sadness was shown. His voice kept its strong-ness. "I'll nevah...evah only tink of myself when I tink of Santa Fe.... I'll tink of the family of Belle...and awll da odduh families that had a loss... I will tink of Skit, and his smile... and I'll tink of my friends..." He hesitated as if he had much more to say. "Tank you..." He ended, and walked back to his friends, who were all quivering and holding back tears.

"Ahem, thank you very much, young man. I've got an offer for you." The Mayor said smiling and holding out a few hundred bucks. The crowd of Newsies got excited. "If you agree to be in our government with the duties of being my secretary, I will give you this money to stay here in Santa Fe with your own house." All the newsies smiled at Jack. "But if you decline... You can take this money with you back to New York... What say you?" A sweet smirk stretched across Windley's face as he handed the money to Jack. Jack's eyes glistened but his face stayed straight and emotionless...

"I say... That I'll stick to what I said before... Santa Fe was good for the time being and all...And the people were real nice..." Belle's face lit up and she smiled at him, happily. "--But.... I have to say no.. I still have some tings ta do back in New York...and I have a family now... Tanks, but no tanks." Jack smiled and hopped of the stage, followed by many a-newsies, and rushed back to the train yards, being stopped suddenly by a group of funeral planners. The men and women of the group had the Newsies sign a sheet of paper and informed them that Skit would be sent to be buried back in New York. The nodded and had a long moment of silence as they rushed back on track to the train yards....Once the moment of silence was broken, all spirits were raised once more. The newsies cheered and laughed and pushed and pulled, trying to get a better look at the money given to them.

"That was real thoughtful of you... The speech and all.." Davey said, smiling.

"I know... But, lets not get all sappy 'bout today, kay... I'm kinda homesick..." He looked at Davey and began to laugh. The two of them put arms around their shoulders and were off to the train....

Of course, you wanna know what they did with the money they received, right? Well.... That's a whole other story. Yes, this won't be the last of these fine boys. Including me, your lovely narrator! We'll be back... But, I can tell you this-- We're not the only ones in this story who'll be back...*Wink, Wink*

.......Smugglers....... 321