The Newsies

CHAPTER 3

CHAPTER THREE

"Hey, Jackie Boy!" A faint voice called, in the white plain view. Jack had been out for an hour or two.

"I guess Oscar punched me pretty hard... Or was it Morris?" Jack replied, finally getting his sight back. A figure began to shape into a familiar shape. Black hair, brown eyes, flat cap. He knew this was Racetrack.

"Yeah, that's the problem 'ere, Jack!" Race said to him, in his complainy sorta tone.

"You didn't even pay attention to the fight you were in! I mean, for goodness sake, you don't even know who hit ya!" At this Race stood straight up and fixed his cap into position.

"Yeah.. I got a little distracted and--" Jack began, but was interrupted by someone else.

"A little? More like a lot! You had a poifect shot!" By "Poifect" he meant "Perfect". You would not know, due to their heavy New York accents. This time, the kid who spoke was Snipeshooter, a young and frisky boy who fell in love with something of Racetracks a while back. There were many children in New York who smoked cheap cigars that they could steal. Racetrack was one of them, but SnipeShooter wanted to be. So, very often, he'd steal some of Racetrack's and stash them away. Anyway, as Snipe said this, the crowd of Newsies nodded and shouted in agreement.

"Alright, alright... I saw a girl... I never saw her before so I--" Jack tried to say again but this time everyone interrupted.

They began to laugh, for they thought Jack's being distracted was amusing. Laughing, Mush leaned forward and began to flutter his eyelashes and prance around the room pretending to be a girl.

"Oh!" He said, in a high pitch voice,

"Hello, there! Yoo hoo!" He said dancing around and pretending to hold an umbrella. He waved his hand at Jack and everyone began to laugh. Of course Jack rolled his eyes, then said,

"Hey, you're just makin' yourselves into idiots. Not me.." At that, everyone stopped and noticed how stupid they must've looked. But they just laughed at him anyway. Kloppmann, still irritated by many things, came in the room of the lodging house where the boys were and handed a cold ice packet to Jack.
"Get well soon..." He said, rolling his eyes and stomping to his bedroom.

"Yeah, thanks... Old man..." Jack said, gently pressing the ice packet against his bruised jaw. Suddenly, everyone stopped when there was a knock at the front door. Racetrack immediately shot up (Thinking he was in charge now that Jack was "injured") and ran to the door. He looked back at everyone cautiously, before opening it. There stood Davey and Les. Of course, Les being impatient, rushed in.

"Oh, Jack! JACK! You won't believe it, OH, you won't believe it!!" Les shouted as he ran to Jack.

"Oh, Jack! GUESS WHAT! Guess what!" He said (almost demanding). His whole face was lit up and he had a huge smile that stretched from cheek to cheek.

"Yeah, slow down, Kid... Now what is it?" Jack said, smiling at his favorite little kid, Les.

"Oh, Jack!" Les could barely force it out, but after a few more "Oh, Jack"s he had.

"Jack! My family suffered from the loss of Sarah, but guess what!?! My mother adopted a teenage girl living in a Girls Lodging house! She is almost the same age as Sarah! But she is better--" Les said. But at his last words, Davey hit him in the head, scolding him.

"Sorry... Any-Anyway! She is so beautiful! Her name is Elizabeth Precille Howard!" He shouted. Jack couldn't help but wonder if it was the same girl he had seen.

"Ey, uh.. Does she have Blonde hair, brown eyes and pursed lips." Jack asked. Suddenly, Davey joined in.

"Uh, yeah.. How'd ya know?" He said, a bit nervous that his only not messed up family member might have met Jack before.

"I saw her outside and-- " Jack didn't know exactly what to say. So, he just forced out a thought.

"So, anyway, how many papes did anyone sell?" He said smiling. Boots looked down a bit and immediately shot out an answer,

"Well, Jerry "Spot" Conlon... He came and uh...." Boots stopped himself.

"And uh what?" Jack said confused.

"And he warned us to stop or he'd shoot us with the marbles I lent him..." Boots said squeezing his eyes. Jack hated when the Newsies felt intimidated by Spot or Jerry. Because, Jack knew for sure, he was nothing but a little wimp. (Well, that is what he told himself everyday so he wouldn't back out of fights with him)

"Oh... Yeah? So, you stopped?" Jack said. He immediately shot up from his chair and stomped to the door.

"Hey, where you goin'?" Davey asked.

"To go talk to dis... Uh.. Jerry Conlon." Jack said nodding. At that, he slammed the door shut, leaving the rest of the boys thinking about what to do