The Newsies

Chapter 5

CHAPTER FIVE

Jack stood confused. Why had Jerry backed down? Why did he just leave? Jack wondered if he intimidated him and that's why he left. Or if Jack's statements were just to good for Jerry's half brain. Jack trailed off in thoughts but stopped when Ling shoved him and shouted for him to "beat it". Jack gave Ling one mean look and stomped on back home.

"Hey, I won fair and square!" Race shouted at Mush.

"Uh, no you didn't! You 'misplaced' one of your marbles!! Liar!" Mush replied, angrily.

"Yeah, Race!" Snipeshooter joined in on the conversation, but his comments were obviously unwanted between the two, so he backed away and shut his mouth.

"Hey, ey, whats all the commotion?" Jack said as he entered the Lodging house. Really, he wasn't adressing his question to anyone, just to anyone who heard it and knew the answer, but Crutchy hoped he had addressed it to himself (because he had always like to talk directly to Jack) and answered proudly,

"Race and Mush played a game of marbles and Race cheated so now Mush is all angry, as always." Crutchy chuckled at his last word.

"Hey, I didn't cheat!" Race shouted moving himself so that he was on both knees and facing Jack.

"And, I am not always angry!" Mush said as well. At Mush's remarks everyone silenced, for Mush had always been an angry young man. Mush immediately shot a look at Crutchy,

"WHY YOU LITTLE--" He shouted, jumping towards him. But he was stopped by Jack's firm hand.

"Hey, I am tired of fights.. Please, let's not start another one." Jack said, impatiently. Mush nodded and sat back down.

"So, wherez were youse, Jack?" Boots asked.

"I-uh.. Like I said, I was at Brooklyn... I had a little talk with--" Suddenly, at Jack's words, all the kids broke out in excitement. Everyone shouted and yelled things like "You stood up to him?" and "Did he kick your butt?". Finally, after thousands of questions from hundreds of different people Jack shouted to silence them.

"No, I am fine... Yes, I did talk to him. And yes, I got in his face, as I do for any jerk who messes with me or any of us!" He stated, almost as if he were getting a speech in him.

"So, Jack... Was he scary?" Race asked, unknowing of how he looked exactly.

"Nah, not at all. He can be scary, but as himself, he is just another... Kid.." Jack answered shrugging, for he had been confused himself why everyone feared Jerry and not the mob of angry kids following Jerry.

This conversation went on for hours until finally, the boys had been interrupted. A loud drawn out scream of a child sounded from outside. The first to shoot up was Davey, for he knew this child was his own brother Les. Cautiously but quickly, Davey opened the front door and shot his head out. He saw something horrid. It was like this:

Thousands of women and children screaming, some even crying. There were men with guns and horses snatching kids away from their mothers. The looks of fear on the faces of all the civilians brought tears to the eyes of anyone who would see them. The bandits rushed in and out of houses and banks grabbing anything valuable.

Davey could not take it in, but he had to save Les. Scanning the town, Davey spotted little Les cuddling with his mother, screaming in fright, for a bandit had shot his father's leg. Davey ran first to his father. As he ran, he felt a building anger inside him followed by a horrid stinging tear build-up inside his eyes. As his legs moved on, he felt as if it'd take him forever to reach his father. Dodging bandit, bullets and bursting fires, Davey finally reached his father.

"Oh my G-- FATHER!" Davey screamed in terror. Before, he thought that when he was far away his father's leg looked fine, but from close up, it looked horribly terrifying. It was covered in fresh blood and the wound was very exposed.

"Davey... Oh, hello.. Its okay I'm fine-- Is your mother and brother alright? What about Liz?" His Father, Mr. Jacobs, asked with a very small tear streaming down his face.

"Yes, their fine.. Gah!..." Davey said, looking at his own hands and noticing how much blood really had been on his father. Suddenly, out of no where, a loud bang came from behind Davey. This lead Davey to see only white and hear the voice of his father's cry and the scream of Les' small voice. And everything grew very dim.. And very silent....