Status: Complete

Phoebe

Chapter Twenty-One

It occurred to me that I couldn't spend the rest of my life in Joey's driveway. He had rejected me, pure and simple. Now the only thing for me to do was try to move on with my life and forget the pain.

I started my car and headed home. Just when I was about to open the front door, it opened for me. Out stumbled Kevin Royce, head football player for Laurel High, followed by my petite sister. Apparently, she had pushed him, because people just don't fly out of doors for the fun of it.

"Why are you doing this?" Kevin moaned.

It surprised me to see tears on his cheeks.

"You think I don't see a player when I see one?"

"What -- What are you talking about?"

Ivy's breaking up with Kevin. I started laughing mentally when the thought hit me. I had spent these last few weeks fretting over my sister for no reason at all. She was stronger than I had given her credit for. She could handle idiots like Kevin without my help.

"Twenty-two girls? All of whom think you're an ass? Sorry, but I'll take a woman's words over a man's any day of the week, and twenty-two girls all saying the same thing about you sort of confirms it."

"But I've changed since being with you," he said, attempting to woo Ivy into not dumping him.

"I don't care."

Kevin let out a wail. "Please, please don't dump me."

"Sorry, but no. I can't stand you, Kev. I want you gone, and I want you gone now. Get off of my porch, and don't ever come back."

He gulped once or twice, decided that Ivy definitely wasn't changing her mind no matter how much he groveled, and slipped down the stairs.

We both watched as he got in his car and sped away.

I turned back to look at Ivy incredulously. "Was that Kevin crying?"

"Yeah, why didn't you get a picture?" she joked. Then, she started laughing profusely. I stared at her with wide eyes, hoping that her newfound insanity wouldn't turn my way.

"Sorry, Pheebes, for not believing you earlier. You tried to tell me that he was no good, but I couldn't believe you. But then I saw the list of all those girls."

I had only printed off one copy, and that copy was now shredded to pieces.

"What were you doing on my computer?" I asked a bit frantically after realizing what must have happened.

"Well, you see, I was going to pull some evil trick on you, but then I saw that document on the screen. Of course I couldn't do through with it then. So I called Kevin up, told him to come over, and started to break up with him. The dude flipped out. I guess he doesn't handle rejection well."

At the word rejection, my face fell. In all the excitement, I had forgotten the whole Joey thing. But now it came back to mind ten times worse.

Ivy saw my reaction. "Spill. What's up with you?"

"Nothing."

"That's b.s.," she declared as she reached forward and grabbed my hand.

Ivy led me to our kitchen and didn't let go of my hand until she was sure that I was seated in one of the tall barstools around the counter. She didn't say anything as she moved about the kitchen making something. Finally, she placed a steaming bowl in front of me and sat to my right.

"I always say, 'A bowl of Ramen keeps the robbers away,'" she joked. Then more seriously she added, "I know something's upset you. Since you never liked Kevin, I can't put your sadness on our breakup. So what is it?"

I debated whether or not I should tell her. Then I thought the hell with it and began to dish.

"Remember the hallway incident where we both were out of line? Well I skipped class because I was so angry. I didn't leave campus or anything like that. Instead, I went to the library. There was a boy there."

"You mean the one you've been hanging around lately?" Ivy interrupted.

I hadn't realized Ivy had been following my life from a distance. But I suppose in a small town it's not very hard to know what everyone else is doing. I don't even know the names of a tenth of the people in Laurel, but I could tell you what almost everyone at the high school was doing this weekend. That's not even going into what I know some people did last weekend. It's amazing what you can learn if you just listen.

"Yeah, that one. Joey's his name," I answered. "Anyway, when he asked me what was wrong and I told him it was about Kevin, he became distant. Joey thought you and I were fighting over Kevin and didn't want to get involved. Once I set him straight....Well, we sort of became friends. He doesn't really like Kevin either, you know, just like most of the school doesn't."

"Once again Twila Ivy Whitaker dates the wrong guy," said my sister, shaking her head. "I lied to you earlier, Pheebes, when I said that Grandma kicked me out. I decided to leave because there was this one creep who wouldn't leave me alone. We had dated and then it ended badly. I got tired of his shit, really I did, so I decided just to move in with you guys. Besides, twins are supposed to live with one another -- at least until college."

"Why didn't you just say that's the reason you moved to Laurel? Why say Grandma kicked you out?" I wondered aloud.

Ivy shook her head left to right and shrugged. "I was a bit embarassed, to be honest. People go to great lengths to conceal their inner self from others. I suppose you could say I was doing the exact same thing by lying. Anyway, go on."

"So Joey and I became friends, particularly after we partnered up with these sophomore girls to bring down Kevin. We had this whole elaborate plan -- which you already know about of course. But then we thought it wasn't enough just to make a spectacle and to vandalize his car. So we started asking around. I compiled that list, and then I went over to Joey's to show him. He didn't really like it too much because he was concerned about the impact on the girls. But there was something more than that."

"There always is," Ivy commented.

"I think he was jealous that I was spending so much of my time thinking about Kevin -- or rather, thinking of ways to get back at Kevin. We got into an argument, and it really tore me up. Today, after school, I sort of lost control. I unintentionally drove to see Theodore, Kevin's older brother. And I know it seems odd that I'm really good friends with my enemy's brother, Ive, but we really can't help who our siblings are."

"True."

"So I talked with Ted for a bit. He really helped me out. Taking his advice, I went to see Joey. I explained to him that I was done trying to interfere with your life and that things would eventually be worked out. I said something about Scarlett O'Hara being wrong for denying Rhett, something about how I'd always love him. But I don't know how that made Joey feel. He didn't say anything. He went back inside without saying a word."

"And that's why you're a mess now?"

"Yes," I admitted. "I suppose Joey just doesn't like me as much as I like him."

"You're sure this isn't just a misunderstanding?" Ivy asked softly.

"Joey didn't say a word, Ivy. I would have expected him to say one of two things. Either 'Yes, Phoebe, I love you back' or 'Get the heck off my porch because I don't like you that much.' He didn't say either one."

"Well, maybe that's the point. He didn't say either phrase. That's your answer right there. It's like I say -- a misunderstanding. You should talk to him tomorrow. Tell him how you feel."

I had already put my heart out there against my better intentions, and I had been hurt. I didn't plan on letting myself get hurt again. At least not for a long time.

"No," I said quickly. "I'm not going to speak to Joey."

Ivy didn't like my answer. "Fine, if you insist on being stubborn, don't talk to Joey."

"I'm a Taurus. It's in my blood to be stubborn. Of course I insist."

With a huff, I began eating my Ramen noodles.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow. It's been a while. A long, long while. Like eight months. Anyway, I've finally updated this hot June 24th day. Only one more chapter to go and then...done. I should have finished this story months ago, but....well, I guess I just didn't feel like it. But I feel pretty happy about this chapter and the next, so....yeah. Worth the wait, sort of.

Thanks for reading. And, as I'm constantly trying to stress, feedback is welcome and appreciated.