My Untitled Romance

A Better Place

"No, Frank, you can't go back and ask the girl that was in front of us if she liked the popcorn you threw at her." I said for the millionth time while we were making our way out of the movie theatre.
"But, But..." Frank sputtered.
"No," I said turning around, "It was rude enough of you to throw it at her; you'd look like a bigger ass if you actually asked her if she liked it."
Frank just sighed. I giggled. I had to admit it was funny, but now he was just being dumb about it. I felt my phone vibrate as I didn't have the chance to turn the vibe off. I looked at the caller ID; it wasn't a number I recognized.
"Hello?" I said answering the phone.
"Yes, is this Claire Evans?" A man on the other end asked.
"Yes....this is." I replied hesitantly.
"This is Dr. Mason from Knoxville Hospital. We would like you to come over as soon as possible."
"Why? What happened?" I asked, stopping in my tracks. Gerard stopped too giving me a concerned look.
"We'll answer all your questions when you get here." the Dr. replied.
"Ok, I'll be there." I said hanging up the phone.
"Who was that?" Gerard asked me.
"It was some Dr. Mason. He wants me to get to Knoxville Hospital as soon as possible. I have a feeling there something not good there waiting.
"Well, then we'd better hurry." Gerard replied pulling me in the direction of the car.
We got to the car and he stepped on it right away.
"Hey! The house is in that direction, Gerard!" Frank shouted and pointing in the other direction, acting like it was the end of the world that we were going in a different direction.
"Just shut up back there. We have to go to the hospital, it's an emergency." Gerard replied.
Frank just shut up, looking embarrassed.
As soon as we got parked I ran into the hospital and to the main desk, the others trailing behind.
"Hi, I'm Claire Evans. I was told to come here as soon as possible." I told the lady at the desk.
She looked at me sympathetically and rose. "Come this way. Only one person can come with you though." She said looking at the circus that I had brought with.
I looked at Gerard, having a feeling who was here. He nodded and we followed the lady. The others quietly sat down to wait. I followed the lady through the doors not knowing what to do or what was to come. Gerard was close behind. He didn’t say a word; I think he was thinking the same.
The lady led us to a room. All I saw was a doctor standing by an empty bed with a saddened look on his face.
“Ah, you must be Claire and…” He said as Gerard and I walked through the door.
“I’m Gerard, Claire’s father.” Gerard responded to the doctor’s pause.
“Right, well….you should sit down.” The doctor replied motioning to two seats next to the bed. He grabbed another and sat across from us. “I’m Dr. Mason by the way and I have some news.”
“This afternoon your mother was in a tragic accident. We tried to keep her alive but it seems that she has lost the will to live and has passed away.” He continued looking at me not knowing what my reaction would be. “We tried to get a hold of you as soon as possible, but she couldn’t hold on any longer….she died right before you got here.”
I sank down in my chair….I had no clue what to say or do. Gerard grasped me in a tight hug as my tears started to stream down my face.
“Shh…it’s ok, Claire. She’s in a better place now.” Gerard whispered into my head, trying to comfort me.
I looked up at him with tears in my eyes realizing that he was the only one even relevant to a parent that I had.