Status: In progress

One of Those Nights

The Kerr's

"You're what?"

"Pregnant," she repeated, much to her family’s dismay.

"Pregnant? But how?" Her mother questioned, placing her fork to the edge of her plate.

Suddenly the Kerr's had lost their appetite for Eleanor Kerr's Sunday roast, including Eleanor herself.

"I thought you and Brody broke up, like, months ago?" Asked her sister, Greer.

Greer was older than Mila by three years. Unlike her sister, Greer's hair was a sort of dirty blonde that sat just above her shoulders.

"We did," Mila confirmed picking up her glass of water and taking a quick sip, lubricating her dry throat before propping the glass back down on the table.

"Well, who's-"

"Mike's," she spoke, cutting off her sister, whilst meeting her mothers gaze. Her mother was the only member of the family who knew of Mike.

"But you and Mike are just friends," her mother gently gulped.

"I know. It just... It just happened."

"Mila, you're only twenty one," David, Mila's father began. "What are you going to do? You have your whole life ahead of you. A child is a big commitment."

Mila was taken back by how calm her father had taken the news but before she could reply, Greer interrupted.

"Who is Mike?" She snapped. "Some one night stand?"

"No!" Mila lied.

"Girls!" her father barked, causing everyone at the table to stir in their seats. "I'm trying to have a conversation with Mila," he said, turning his attention back to Greer. "Let her have a chance to talk."

Mila cleared her throat as all eyes set on her. "Mike and I... We've been friends for a while," she fibbed. "And we've been dating for a while now. This sort of just happened. But, Mike and I have decided we're going to keep the baby and I'm going to move back to San Diego."

"You're moving back to San Diego? What about your job? You worked so hard to move to Los Angeles and make a name for yourself, and now you're just throwing that all away?" Her mother stammered.

Mila knew that breaking the news wasn't going to be a walk in the park. It wasn't going to be like lunch with the Fuentes' where Mike's father made a joke about her pregnancy to lighten the mood. It was a different kind of ‘walk in the park’ with the Kerr's. In fact, describing it as a walk was wrong, it was almost like a struggle through the park.

"That's just something I have to deal with, mom," admitted Mila. "Mike and I are capable of raising this child, so there's no reason why we can't or why we shouldn't. I'll find work here, and I'll commute back to LA for bigger clients."

"What does this Mike do, Mila? I mean, we'd like to meet him soon, if possible," questioned her father.

Mila took a deep breath. "Mike is," she hesitated. "Mike's in a band."

Greer let out a soft chuckle.

"So he's unemployed?" shot her mother. "Great."

Mila rolled her eyes. "You guys are unbelievable, really. He is not unemployed. Being in a band is his job. And he can't be too bad because he's heading to the UK on Friday for two weeks to tour. Not that what he does should matter, to any of you," she glared. "Mike has a great heart and whether or not you support us through this, we are having this child."

Mila couldn't really stand it anymore. She needed to escape and so she quickly excused herself from the table and scurried to the sliding glass door connecting the dining room to the backyard.

Once her skin hit the night air and she was on the back porch, she felt relieved. She closed the sliding door behind her as her family sat in silence and took a seat out of their view on a chair that was part of the outdoor dining setting. She then quickly pulled out her cell phone as hot tears started to make pools in her eyes as she scrolled through her contacts to compose a text message.

'Family didn't take the news too well. I'm heading back to LA tonight. I guess I'll see you when you get back. Be safe. X.'

As she hit send the screen door slid open, revealing a very calm Mr Kerr. Mila thanked his ability to remain calm in most situations due to his job as an international pilot, the lives of hundreds resting upon his shoulders as he crossed countries upon countries.

"Hey, kiddo," he mumbled. "Mind if I take a seat?"

David Kerr looked a lot like Kelsey Grammer. Everyone said it.

"No. Not at all."

Mila watched as he occupied the seat beside her, fixating his posture so he was comfortable against the waterproof material of the chair.

"What are we going to do with you?" He laughed averting his gaze outwards towards the night sky. "I can't ground you," he joked, turning his vision back to Mila.

Mila let out a forced smile. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he spoke. "Things happen. That's life."

"Mom hates me," Mila worried. "She's never going to let this go."

"She doesn't hate you, Mila. Your mom and I love both yourself and Greer more than anything in this entire world. You'll understand once you have this child what I mean by that. Give it time. She'll come around."

Mila looked at her father and smiled.

"What happened to the days where you used to come in crying because Jack from across the road tried to kiss you, huh?"

She let out a short laugh before shaking her head. She was moments away from replying before the sound of her phone’s ring tone interrupted her speech.

"Shoot," she shrilled as Mike's name flashed across her screen.

"Lover boy?" Her dad smirked.

"Yeah, I'm sorry I've got to take this. But we'll continue this conversation. Promise," assured Mila as she stood up from her seat.

"Go right ahead, kiddo. Tell him your old man says hi... And that he wants to kill him... But maybe skip the last part."

Mila shook her head, letting out a small chuckle before answering the phone.

"Mike, hey."

"Mils, why did it take you so long to answer? Are you okay? What's going on? I'm coming to pick you up right -"

"Mike," she cut off. "It's fine. I'm fine," she assured as she walked off into the distance of the backyard.

"I know you're not fine, Mila. Just let me come and get you. It's not good for you to be upset. It's not good for the baby."

Mila smiled. "Mike, really. I'm fine. Mom's having kittens over the news but dad just talked to me after I sent that text and he's, well... He's alright."

The pools of salted tears were starting to evaporate from her eyes and cheeks. She wasn’t lying; her father had made her feel somewhat better.

"What did she say?"

"A lot of stuff that I really can't be bothered to explain right now. But just know that I'm okay and that my mom will come around eventually. I've got a long drive back to LA so I'll speak to you in the morning, okay?"

"Mila, you are not going back to LA tonight," Mike stated. "You've had a big day. You and the baby are probably exhausted. It's not a good idea."

"Mike, how can the baby be exhausted?"

"That's not the point, Mila."

"I'm going, Mike. I have work and a landlord to deal with."

Mila could hear Mike sigh from the other end of the phone.

"I don't like how we said goodbye this afternoon," he admitted from the other end.

Mila let the static consume them for a moment before replying.

"Yeah, I guess."

"The boys are flying out from San Diego on Friday but I'm considering flying out from LAX. We could spend Thursday night together and say goodbye, properly. There's also something I want to ask you."

"But Mike, haven't your flights already been booked? It's okay, you know. We were both angry and weren't thinking straight. It's not worth you spending money to change your flight and flying alone to the UK. Besides, why can't you ask me over the phone?"

"Stop being difficult," Mike half heartedly joked. "I have a lot of explaining to do, especially about what I said this afternoon. So I'll see you Thursday, okay?"

"Fine," she gave in. "I'll see you on Thursday."
♠ ♠ ♠
Your feedback is amazing and continuously inspires me to write more and more. So thank you to all of those who have subscribed, recommended and commented.