Status: In progress

One of Those Nights

Long Distance Call

Mila outstretched her arms above her head and then down to her sides as she yawned, all whilst gazing over a cloudless San Diego afternoon from the window of Mike's bedroom.

Today marked one week that Mike had been gone.

One week since she stood wrapped in his arms at the departures terminal at LAX.

One week since he stood there too. Promises of nightly calls and daily texts rolling off his tongue in between pecks of kisses.

And he did. He called every night and the texts were never ending. But that didn't stop Mila from feeling empty. She had grown attached to Mike so quickly that even one week apart had felt like an eternity.

Mila turned her back to the large window and propped herself back down on the unmade bed that now belonged to herself and Mike, padding her hands around the white cottoned sheets for her phone - the device had become accustomed to rarely leaving her side with Mike being many miles away.

Ignoring all notifications that weren't from Mike, she navigated her thumb straight to her contacts where she tapped his name in and promptly called him, eager to hear the sound of his voice and ask him all about his day. It was almost ritual by now.

'Hello, darling,' an overly joyous Mike answered after less than a few rings, elated to hear his girlfriend's voice again.

'Hey,' an exhausted Mila replied.

The background laughter and talk which drowned Mike's voice a little suddenly shallowed.

'Sorry. Just having a few post show drinks with the guys. How have you been? I miss you.'

'Between work, moving and telling Cara... it's been exhausting. I just woke up from an afternoon nap, actually. But I miss you too, Mike. I miss you a lot actually. I wish you were here.'

She tried her hardest to sound somewhat content. She hated worrying him.

But the tone in Mike's voice quickly changed as he sardined himself in his bunk away from the others, noticing the sadness that seeped through her sentences. She couldn't hide it from him.

'You told Cara?'

Mila sighed. 'I had to Mike. She's my best friend and-'

'No I mean, it's fine. It's great even. I'm glad you finally told her. She would of found out sooner or later, right? What did she say?'

Mila lay with her back pressed to the mattress, gazing to the ceiling as her free hand toyed with her hair.

'She was... Indifferent. And shocked. I don't blame her-'

'She hates me, I know,' Mike cut off abruptly.

'She doesn't hate you, Mike. She was just taken back.'

'I've changed, Mils. You know I've changed. Cara knows the old me.'

But before Mila could reply, a knocking at the door interrupted their conversation.

'Hang on, Mike I have to grab the door,' she said as she quickly bounced onto her feet from the mattress of their bed.

'Who is it?'

'It's probably Cara. Can I call you back later? She's been helping me move a bunch of stuff down.'

Mike didn't feel like he had much of a choice, and so he agreed.

'Okay, Mils,' he sighed. 'I miss you.'

Although unspoken of, both knew it was too soon for, 'I love you', and so they both had settled on, 'I miss you' instead

'Miss you too,' she chimed hurriedly as she hit the 'End Call' button and tossed the device onto the bed, making a swift exit from their bedroom and then down the hall and to the front door.

She then swung the door open like an overly excited child on a Christmas morning, a friendly smile adoring her features as she expected Cara to be on the other side, only to be disappointed when it wasn't.

"Hi," a pretty brunette with deep brown eyes greeted her, a medium sized box in her hands.

"Oh," Mila swallowed, slightly beet red by what she was wearing; A black tank which belonged to Mike and yoga shorts. "Hey?"

"I'm sorry," the brunette apologized freeing her right hand from under the box and extending it. "I'm Frankie."

Mila studied the girls hand for a moment before awkwardly shaking it.

She thought for a second it may have been Jaime's girlfriend. She had never met Jaime's girlfriend but Mike mentioned she would probably pop around sometime during the two weeks he were away to introduce herself. But then it registered that Jaime's girlfriend was called Jessica, and not Frankie.

"I'm sorry," the girl, now known as 'Frankie' repeated before taking her hand and placing it back under the box.

"I'm," she muttered. "I'm Mike's... ex."

A dry lump formed in Mila's throat. The kind of dry lump that formed in your throat whilst trying to suppress hot tears from streaming down your cheekbones. She could have sworn that in that moment, her heart skipped a beat. And in the worst way possible.

Mike didn't talk about his ex's, and that was fine by Mila. That's how she wanted it. But now his ex was in front of her. With a box in her hands. Mila couldn't of been anymore confused. It was like a bad movie.

Frankie proceeded to prop down the box.

"It was kind of getting heavy," she mumbled half heatedly before averting her attention back to Mila.

But Mila didn't care for half hearted comments.

"Look, I'm not here to cause trouble between you and Mike. I just had a few things I needed to get rid of."

Not knowing what else to say Mila cleared her throat and then gently introduced herself.

"I'm... Mila."

Frankie nodded. "I know. I mean, everyone knows."

A confused look adorned her features in response to Frankie's comment.

How was that even possible? Her and Mike had only been official for one week. And apart from close friends and family, nobody knew. At least that's what she thought.

"Sorry?"

"It's a small town," Frankie shrugged. "News spreads like wild fire 'round here. Did you know Mike and I were on a break when you and him slept together? I bet you didn't," she shot, her words getting more and more venomous with each sentence.

"No I-"

"Why would you know?," She cut off sarcastically laughing. "Why would that idiot bother telling you? Instead he knocks you up and next thing you know he's introduced you to his whole family, you're moving in together and his life is picture fucking perfect. I bet he hasn't even mentioned me? Just forgot about me. Of course he just forgot about me."

Mila took a step back as tears started to well in her eyes.

How did Frankie know so much about herself and Mike?

Frankie then noticed the hurt portrayed in Mila's baby blues and suddenly felt sorry.

"Shit," she muttered. "I'm really sorry, Mila. I'm just angry. I'm so angry at him," she seethed.

At a loss for words, Mila managed to construct a sentence. "I... I think it's best if you leave, please," she choked.

Frankie stared at Mila for a moment and watched. "I didn't mean-"

"I'll be sure to give this to him," Mila responded as she bent down and took the box from the floor before turning her back to Frankie.

"Mila," Frankie sighed.

But instead of responding, Mila closed the door with a bump of her hip.

Once inside, away from Frankie, she pressed her back towards the door, dropped the box down not caring where or how it landed, and started sobbing.

And that's when Mila considered that maybe this was all one big mistake.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you guys for sticking by this and constantly commenting and sending me lovely feedback, even when I take forever to update. I'm sorry if there's a few errors in this one. I wanted to get it out to you guys as soon as I possibly could. <3