Status: In progress

One of Those Nights

Home

When Mila finally did call Mike back, she assured him it was just a case of the 'hormonal pregnancy blues' and nothing else. Of course, he brought it. He had no reason not to.

And now it was the following Saturday night, meaning Pierce The Veil's UK run was done and both Mike and Vic were almost home.

"We just pulled up now Mils," assured Mike into his phone as he carried his luggage out of the trunk of the cab, depositing it onto the pavement whilst throwing on his backpack with his free hand.

Vic followed suite, handing the driver some cash before picking up his belongings from the pavement and looking up at the apartment building.

"Feels good to be home," Vic smiled over at his brother, watching as Mike hung up his phone and slipped it into the back pocket of his jeans.

Mike nodded in agreement. "Life's different now."

The two walked through the buildings large glass doors, luggage in tow as Vic acknowledged Mike's comment.

Vic was aware life was different now but if it were up to him, he wouldn't have it any other way. That's exactly how the Fuentes boys were brought up. They always made the most of every situation they were in and they always had each other’s back, no matter what.

"I know that.”

"I never really got the chance to thank you," admitted Mike as they approached the lift. He then pressed upwards arrow and waited, making eye contact with Vic.

"For?"

"For being okay with Mils moving in so soon. I know it must be hard."

The doors to the lift then opened and Vic shook his head, letting a chortle escape from lips as they both shuffled inside.

"Don’t be silly. You're my little brother, Mikey. If anyone has your back, it's me," he assured. "And as for Mila, well she's basically family now, too. It's going to take a while to adjust having an extra person in the apartment but I'll be fine. I know you'd do the same for me."

Mike nudged his brother in a playful manner with his fist. "How are you so sure?"

But Vic only grinned as the lift came to a halt and the doors released. "Home sweet home," he sang joyously.

"No place like it," added Mike as they vacated the elevator and briskly walked the few steps to number 11, a place they had called home for the past three years now. It was their haven when the road wasn’t.

The smell of food danced around their nostrils and they beamed in delight.

"The apartment hasn't smelt this good in forever," Vic mused, eagerly bringing his fist to the white wood of the door and knocking momentarily.

Mike smiled, his heart skipping a beat as he listened to the tread of light footsteps making their way to the door followed by a sweet, 'Just a minute!' He had longed for this moment.

Vic moved to the side ensuring that Mike got to see Mila first. He also didn't want to be mistaken for Mike for he knew that would make for an awkward situation between himself, Mike and Mila.

The door swung open, revealing a rather cheerful Mila. If she was still holding onto bitterness regarding Mike's secret, you couldn’t tell.

"Mike!" She gushed as she leapt into his arms and wrapped her legs around his waist, his backpack getting slightly in the way and Vic's presence completely slipping her mind.

"Mils. I missed you so much," admitted Mike as he nuzzled his face into the nape of her neck, their faces meeting seconds later.

They exchanged a short but sweet kiss before the sound of a scoff interrupted their moment.

Mike released Mila from his embrace and set her back down on two feet as she blushed at the sight of Vic, a smug grin adoring his face.

"I'm... So sorry," she apologized pathetically.

But Vic only extended his arms outwards. "Come 'ere," he gestured.

Mila smiled in relief, accepting his embrace and holding him tightly. There was something about Vic’s warmth that made Mila feel comfortable. They had barely spent time together but he already felt somewhat like a brother figure to her.

Releasing from the emrbace, Vic's eyes immediately focused on Mila's now small bump evident through her dark fitted shirt.

"And how’s my nephew?” He asked.

"Oh so you've already decided that we're having a boy?" Mike interjected, slightly cocking his eyebrow.

Vic nodded. "Gotta keep that Fuentes name going, bro."

Mila half-heartedly laughed. "Your nephew or niece is doing just fine,” she assured rubbing her stomach. “Now can the pair of you get inside because I’m hungry.”

Both Mike and Vic picked up their belongings, and just like every other time, left them by the door knowing they'd sort it out tomorrow when they weren't so jet lagged.

"I'm just going to change out of these jeans, babe," Mike announced as he passed through the kitchen, leaving both Mila and Vic alone.

“Okay, but be quick".

"Smells great by the way," Vic enthused.

"Let's hope it tastes great," she replied, opening the oven as Vic fetched the plates.

The two then prepared each plate and set the table making small talk between them as they sat down and waited for Mike who appeared moments later, sitting at the head with Mila on his right and Vic on his left.

"So," Mila started. "I've got an appointment with the doctor next week to ensure the baby's healthy."

Mike acknowledged Mila's comment but didn’t talk. Instead he cut into a potato on his plate and propped it into his mouth.

"How was tour?" She asked at a second attempt to start a conversation. She had found it somewhat odd that all of a sudden he was acting like he didn’t want to talk.

Mike's facial features then tightened as he swallowed before speaking. He couldn’t suppress his anger any longer.

"What is a box full of mine and Frankie’s things doing in our bedroom?"

Mila stopped cutting into her piece of roast chicken and froze, gazing at Mike wide eyed.

How could she of been so stupid to just leave it there after all this time?

"I... Um..."

"She came here, didn't she?" he questioned

"What?" Vic fretted. "Frankie?"

"Mike she just-"

But Mike didn’t care for Mila’s excuses.

"This is why you were ignoring my calls, isn't it?"

Mila looked down at her plate, breaking her gaze from Mike for a minute.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you!" He warned as his fist met the dark oat of the dinner table causing both Mila and Vic to stir in their seats.

"Don't speak to her like that," spoke Vic in a calm manner.

Mike almost looked disgusted as he brought his gaze towards his older brother.

"Just let her talk.”

But Vic’s comment only made Mike more irritated, and so he pushed his chair out from underneath him and bounced to his feet.

"I'm going to bed," he informed before removing himself from the table and muttering the words, 'Liar,' as he passed his now sobbing girlfriend.

“Mike,” urged Vic.

But Mike ignored his brother and disappeared down the hall leaving Vic unsure of what to do or say.

"He can be a real asshole sometimes."

Mila looked up and across the table at Vic. She felt embarrassed.

"She just came over, Vic,” Mila assured. “I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t want to mention it to Mike while he was away on tour.”

“Forget it,” Vic stated. “You cooked this incredible dinner and I’m starving so if Mike wants to act like a fucking two year old then let him act like a fucking two year old. He’ll get over it.”

Mila let a small smile escape from her lips as she wiped a few stray tears away from her eyes. She so badly wanted to chase after him and tell him how sorry she was. But she didn't. Instead, she sat there and ate dinner with Vic, making small talk as she tried to enjoy his company, the thought of Mike being mad at her never once leaving her clouded mind.

After dinner, Vic made sure he helped Mila clean the kitchen back to its normal sate.

“You didn’t have to help me clean up,” said Mila. “I know you must be exhausted.”

Vic shook his head placing the last of the dishes away. “Jet lag will keep me up most of the night,” he noted. "Plus it's my way of thanking you."

“It's fine. Although I'm not entirely sure I want to walk into that room knowing Mike’s as angry as he is,” Mila confessed biting down on her bottom lip in a child-like manner. “Think he might be asleep by now?”

Vic took a deep breath, his eyes meeting those of Mila’s. “You have to face him sooner or later. He just cares about you Mila and he’s just bummed you didn’t tell him. But he’ll get over it. Trust me.”

“Are you sure?”

Vic nodded. “Of course I'm sure. If he gives you any trouble, you just let me know. I'm off to get cleaned up.”

“Thanks, Vic.”

Vic nodded before making his way to the bathroom, Mila following as she turned off the lights to the apartment.

“Night Mils,” Vic mumbled before disappearing into the bathroom leaving Mila to face Mike on her own.

She reached for the doorknob in the dark, exhaling sharply as she turned the knob, fearing the person on the other side.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3