Status: In progress

One of Those Nights

Amends

The door creaked open leaving a very timid Mila standing at its entrance. The smell of vanilla from the burning candle on the nightstand hit her nostrils and it was then that she knew Mike was still awake.

She crept in slowly, closing the door shut behind her.

"Hey," she muttered at an attempt to ease the silence between them.

But Mike didn't answer. He remained still with his back against the head of the bed as he scanned the pages of a book titled, 'The Complete Book of Baby Names' - a book Cara had given Mila as a sort of 'congratulations'.

"See anything you like?" She asked as she slipped off her pants.

Still, he remained silent, quickly stealing a look at her in just her shirt and a pair of boy short briefs. If only he wasn't so frustrated he'd make an attempt at something. But he was far too stubborn for that right now.

Instead of giving up on trying to communicate with him, Mila hopped on into bed and scooted closer to him, pressing her cheek against his arm as she gazed at the page his was scanning through. He smelt of a mix between cologne and body wash and although he was being stubborn, it felt good to have him home.

Mike turned his head, looking down at Mila cuddled up against him.

"You're like a little kitten, y'know?" he spoke as a small smile crept across his face. "The less attention you're given, the more you want."

"Ah, he speaks," she teased.

"I'm still annoyed."

"You're annoyed because your ex girlfriend came over unannounced? Why can't I be annoyed because you failed to mention you were on a break with someone when we slept together?"

Mike closed the book and tossed it onto the nightstand causing Mila to sit up and face him.

"Technically, I didn't lie to you because it never came up in conversation. You lied to me when I asked you what was wrong. And that's why I'm annoyed. And we've had this whole trust conversation before and you know how much it annoys me but you still test me."

"This is exactly why I didn't tell you," Mila exasperated as she threw her hands up. "Because I didn't want you to be mad at me. I wanted to talk to you face to face."

Mike sighed. "Well, go right ahead. This is what you wanted, didn't you? We're face to face. Shoot."

Mila gave him a disgusted look. She was well and truly over arguing with him. It was becoming monotonous now.

"You're an asshole," she accused as she slid back down under the covers, her back now facing Mike.

He ran his hands through his hair out of frustration. "Mils..."

"Don't," she responded coldly as he put his hand on her shoulder.

One thing Mila disliked about Mike was that it always took him pushing her to the very edge before he showed any signs of backing down from a fight.

"Look, maybe I overreacted..." He began. "I can't stand Frankie, Mils. And to see that stuff set me off like you wouldn't believe. I'm sorry for calling you a liar. If you want to talk about the whole situation then I'm willing to answer any questions you may have."

Mila waited a moment before she turned over to face Mike. He remained with his back pressed against the bed head as she lay with her head against her soft pillow.

"You were really mean tonight," she noted.

"I know, darling," he said as he brushed a few strands of her blonde locks away from her face. "I'm a big fat jerk."

He had gone from angry to kidding in a matter of seconds.

Mila couldn't help let out a soft giggle, her head still pressed against the pillow as he stopped combing his fingers through her hair. She could never stay mad at him for long.

He then slid down into the comfort of the sheets, his face only inches apart from hers.

"She meant nothing to me, Mila," he admitted. "I would literally drink myself into oblivion every single weekend when we were together, and when we finally decided to go on a break it gave me the freedom to go out, find the prettiest girl in the room, take her home for a night and never see her again."

Mila's smile faded as he opened up to her about his past - a past she had been warned about by Cara.

"I felt like I was on a never ending downwards spiral. Most of my friends at twenty seven were either settling down or engaged to the partner of their dreams. And here I was... Twenty seven, fucking around, smoking weed daily and drinking until I couldn't feel a thing. I kept her around because she felt like the only stable thing in my life. But she didn't make me happy. Not one bit. She made me miserable as all hell."

"But what about Vic?" Questioned Mila curiously. "He's twenty nine and doesn't have anyone but he still seems happy."

"Vic is perfectly content with being on his own. After struggling with a few relationships he put all his heart into the band. But I'm... Different."

Mila frowned.

"You know this is going to sound corny but when I saw you in that bar I thought you were the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. I needed to see you again."

She blushed as he continued.

"And I'm a strong believer in everything happening for a reason. And although our situation may not seem ideal, I believe it saved me from that awful person I was."

Mila faintly smiled. "Thank you for being honest with me about Frankie, and your past."

"If she upset you Mils I want to know."

"It doesn't matter anymore. You and I are going to be parents in six months time and things like this shouldn't be bringing us apart. We're going to be a family and family sticks together. We should be planning our future and talking about our baby. We should be celebrating."

Mike smiled and placed a kiss on her forehead. "I agree," he confirmed. "Let's celebrate this child. Let's let the world know."

"How?"

Mike reached over to the nightstand grabbing his phone and the book he was skimming through earlier.

"What better way to let everyone know than putting it on the Internet?"

"How?" she repeated incredulously.

She was all for the idea of letting 'the world' know, but she wasn't sure what Mike had conjured up his head.

He laid back down, this time much closer to Mila and held the book against his chest, the title clearly on display. His free hand then activated the front camera on his phone.

"Are you serious ?" Mila questioned as she disapproved of her appearance displayed on the screen of the device.

The lighting was low from the candle but you could still manage to read the title of the book even though it was backwards and you could still tell that both Mike and Mila were in the picture.

"Smile," chorused Mike as he grinned, revealing his teeth.

Mila mirrored his exact smile and he took the photo.

"Aw," he cooed reviewing the photo. "We make a cute couple if I say so myself."

He tossed the book to the side once again and toyed with his phone, opening Instagram and choosing a filter. Mila watched closely as he captioned the photo.

'Picking the perfect name for Baby Fuentes with this one', 'this one' meaning Mila.

Mila smiled sweetly as he tagged her in the photo and uploaded it.

"You're a dag," she teased pecking him on the cheek.

Mike locked his phone and placed it on the nightstand along with the book.

"Did you actually see any names you liked?" She asked now curious. She had picked put a couple herself but wasn't sure of any until herself and Mike talked about them together.

He wrapped one arm around her and scooted closer to her.

"I saw a few that you had circled that I liked. Sofia was my favourite for a girl, because it's my abuelas name."

"I know," said Mila. "That's why I circled it. It's a beautiful name."

Mike smiled. "I also liked Madison and Hanna, and Nathaniel and River."

Mila nuzzled her head into his chest. "You should probably blow out that candle before we fall asleep and the whole house burns down," she mumbled against his chest. "Vic won't be too happy."

"It's not like I've been waiting three months to have sex with you or anything..." Mike hinted.

Mila looked up at him unamused. He was right. They had only slept with each other once and it had been three months.

"Tomorrow morning?" She suggested, too comfortable and exhausted to move from her position.

Mike sighed. "Okay I'll let it slide because I was being a jerk. But tomorrow morning you better wake me up with some seriously good morning sex."

Mila rolled her eyes. "I'll consider it."

"I mean it," he warned.

Mila only laughed as he pulled away from he and blew out the candle, only to return to his position of cuddling her.

"Goodnight," he said kissing her forehead.

"Night," she mumbled, satisfied that he was finally home and they were no longer bickering.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the all the comments on the last chapter. I didn't mean to leave you guys hanging like that! Hopefully you enjoyed this one.