Status: In progress

One of Those Nights

The Second Trimester

Mila burst through the doors of Doctor Denysiak's office, glancing at her watch and then glancing around the waiting room, looking for Mike.

She sighed out of relief once her eyes found him sitting in the corner, reading a parenting magazine.

A coy smile pursed across her lips. "Hey," she murmured, ruffling the top of his head before accompanying the seat beside him, not even thinking twice about the fact that he wasn't wearing a beanie or hat like usual.

The second Mike noticed her, a smiled formed across his lips too, and he set down the magazine he was reading, averting his full attention towards her.

"Hey," he greeted.

"Sorry I'm late. Traffic was crazy," she frowned, biting her bottom lip. "Doctor Denysiak hasn't called me out yet, has she?"

Mike shook his head. "She seems to be running late. How was work?"

"Good," she replied. "Did Vic drive you here? I'm sorry I couldn't make it to get you."

"Stop saying sorry, Mils," assured Mike. "I understand you have work commitments. And yeah, Vic dropped me off. He was passing through."

Mila smiled, and before she could reply, the words, 'Ms Kerr' were heard.

"That's us," spoke Mike, taking Mila's hand and squeezing it reassuringly. Today marked the second trimester of Mila's pregnancy, and he couldn't manage to contain his excitement.

The two both stood up and made their way over to Doctor Denysiak who stood in front of her office, clipboard in hand and in the same attire she always wore; her pencil skirt and blouse.

"Come in," she encouraged as both Mike and Mila made their way into her office, taking seats adjacent to her desk.

"Firstly I'd just like to say, welcome to your second trimester," Doctor Denysiak announced. "How have you been feeling?"

"Apart from a little nauseous here and there, I've been feeling good. Good enough to work and go about my daily duties."

"Much to my dismay," Mike added, causing Mila to glance at him.

Doctor Denysiak let a small chuckle escape her lips. "It's perfectly fine for Mila to work, Mike. So long as her workload isn't too stressful or strenuous. The nauseousness you're feeling should subside within the next week or two. If it doesn't though, be sure to call and make an appointment with me. Did the two of you have any questions before I continue?"

"Actually, yeah. I have a few," said Mike, much to Mila's surprise.

What did Mike possibly have to ask? The two hadn't discussed questions they were going to ask Doctor Denysiak prior to their appointment.

"Yes, Mike?"

"This hospital Mila is booked into... Sharp Mary Birch or something? It's the best, right? I want this process to be as stress free as possible for Mila."

"Mike," Mila blushed.

She was appreciative of Mike's concern, but she had told him numerous times that the Sharp Mary Birch hospital was her choice because of its credibility. He didn't need to ask.

"No, that's completely understandable," interjected Doctor Denysiak politely. "The Sharp Mary Birch hospital is one of the best for childbirth, Mike. They offer a wide range of classes Mila can attend on her own such as yoga, and classes the two of you can attend together to prepare the two of you. I understand your schedule is complicated, so we'll have to find a time that suits you both, closer to the birth of the baby. It's best if you take the classes around the seventh month to ensure everything is still fresh in your mind."

Mike nodded and smiled. "That sounds perfect, doctor. I just want the best for Mila."

"Of course. It's good to see your participation and I'm here to answer any questions and concerns you may have during the pregnancy," she encouraged before averting her attention towards Mila. "We're just going to run some blood work before checking your weight and the height of your uterus today, Mila. This process is just to ensure the baby is developing properly. Then we can move on to the exciting part, another ultrasound."

Both Mila and Mike grew giddy with excitement at the mention of another ultrasound. They knew that their child would now possess features that made him or her look more like a baby and less like a peanut. It was a feeling neither of them could truly describe.

Moments after Doctor Denysiak ran appropriate blood work and measurements, Mila hopped on the ultrasound bed, an all too familiar feeling that brought a smile to her face.

Mike sat beside her, anxiously holding her hand as Mila lifted up her shirt and Doctor Denysiak prepared her for the ultrasound.

"Your baby's eyes should begin taking their position now," Doctor Denysiak informed as she rubbed a cold gel-like liquid over Mila's stomach. "And he or she should be around 7 to 8 centre meters in length."

Both Mike Mila watched the ultra sound screen with intent in their eyes as Doctor Denysiak ran an instrument over Mila's stomach. Their smiles only widened as the image turned from black to an image of their baby.

"Woah," said Mike in awe.

"As you can see, he or she is very tiny," informed Doctor Denysiak. "And... there's the heartbeat."

Mike squeezed Mila's hand tightly, a feeling he couldn't explain coming over him. It bewildered him that growing inside of Mila was a part of him, and that part of him had a heartbeat. It was the second time hearing his child's heartbeat but it was something he would never get used to. He could only compare the feeling to love. He felt in love.

And without much thought, he leaned over and whispered the words, 'I love you', as he kissed Mila's forehead gently.

-

Later that afternoon on the car ride home, Mila couldn't help but recite Mike's words of, 'I love you', over and over again in her head.

She concentrated on Mike as he drove her car, studying his features.

Did she love him back?

Inevitably, one day she would love Mike, whether it be next week or next month, but she wasn't entirely sure she loved him right now.

"Are you okay?" Mike questioned.

"Of course I am," she replied quickly, smiling to ensure Mike believed her. "That was incredible, huh?"

Mike nodded in delight. "It was something else," he agreed, reaching for her hand and squeezing it tightly.

She was grateful that she had managed to steer the conversation away from what was really bothering her. However, Mike didn't think much about what he had said back in Doctor Denysiak's office. To him, it came naturally, and whether or not Mila was ready to say it just yet, was completely up to her.

"I actually had something I wanted to ask you," admitted Mike, averting his gaze between the traffic and Mila, their hands still linked.

Mila held her breath for a while before speaking.

"Oh... Yeah?"

Letting a small chortle escape his lips, he responded. "Don't sound so enthused, Mils."

"What did you want to ask?" She smirked, playfully.

Taking a deep breath, he continued. "Well you know how I'm going back on tour soon? For a really long time?"

Mila frowned at the thought. Of course she knew he was going on tour soon for a really long time. In fact, from now until the baby was born, Mike would be on and off tour. She knew all of this, she was just trying to avoid letting it consume her thoughts. The thought of being alone and pregnant scared her.

"Yeah..." she muttered in response.

"I know you've got a life of your own and work and you're pregnant but I was just wondering...," he paused. "Well...," he bit his bottom lip anxiously. "It would mean the world to me if you could come and spend a week or two out on the road with me."

Mila sighed. The idea wasn't completely unrealistic. Jaime's girlfriend Jess did it and so did Casey's girlfriend. But the difference between those girls and Mila was that they weren't pregnant.

"I'm pregnant, Mike. I'm not entirely sure a tour bus is the best kind of environment for me to be in."

"Please," he urged. "Please just come..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Mike said I love you and Mila didn't say it back!?!?

Firstly, I'd just like to thank both A_Bella and wildwiththewind for commenting over at www.piercetheveilfanfiction.com, even though they read this story on here. Means a lot! And of course, thank you to anyone who commented/recommended over here.

I now post this story over at http://www.piercetheveilfanfiction.com/Story/10505/One-Of-Those-Nights/ in addition to Mibba if you fancy, however I still prefer here for some reason. Maybe because this story is better received here (I mean 81 recommendations, woah! You guys are the best!)

Thank you!