Status: In progress

One of Those Nights

An Unlikely Encounter

Before Mila headed back to LA, she had a lot of explaining to do. Especially to her best friend, Cara, whom she had selfishly left at the bar the night prior.

"What!?" Cara gasped, placing both her palms on the table as she sat opposite Mila at dinner that night, the news of her best friends one night stand coming as a shock to her.

Mila pressed a napkin to her lips and nodded, a childish grin adoring her face. 

"So unlike me, right?"

"No. Well, yes," said Cara. "I don't know wether to be happy for you or be mad at you for leaving me at the bar with that loser who looked like he belonged on the Jersey Shore. I didn’t even see who you left with!" Cara chuckled, rolling her eyes at the thought. 

Mila placed the napkin down, both finished and satisfied with her choice of dinner. 
"I'm sorry, Car," she apologised in between little giggles. "I think he was in some sort of band," she muttered referring to Mike. "He had photos all over his apartment that led me to believe so."

"Oh," said Cara nodding. “Impressive."

Mila shrugged. "Probably has sex with like one hundred groupies."

"Was he good at least?" Cara asked as she brushed her messy dirty blonde hair out of her eyes, taking a sip of her water. 

Mila didn't want to admit it, but yes, Mike was good. 

"Yeah," she shrugged. "He was alright."

"Did you use protection?"

Mila's eyes widened at the thought. 

"Mila?" Cara questioned, a worrying look across her face. "Did you?"

"I... Uh... Yeah. I think," she stuttered. 

That was the one part of the night Mila couldn't quite remember. 

"You think?"

Mila rolled her eyes trying to brush the thought off. "Mom, I'm sure we used protection, okay?"

Cara shook her head, laughing slightly. "Well," she started. "The last thing you need is to be popping out a baby," she proceeded to tease. 

Mila was about to reply but the two boys walking through the door, talking loudly amongst themselves distracted her thoughts. 

She diverted her gaze back to Cara, her eyes widening as she became worrisome. 

Cara noticed her change in colour and followed her eyes to the door, just inches from where they sat. She didn't give much thought to the situation before opening her mouth. 

"Vic?" Cara spoke much to Mila's surprise. 

Vic averted his gaze towards the table adjacent to the door.

Mila's heart began to thud as her eyes met with Mikes. 

She quickly broke their gaze, playing with the straw of her water, focusing on the ice particles intently.

"Fancy seeing you here, Mila," Mike spoke looking directly a Mila. “At, Olive Garden, in San Diego." 

Mike then turned to Cara. "Hi, Cara."

Mila looked up at him sympathetically and Vic awkwardly let out a small laugh, recognizing Mila from earlier that morning. 

Cara looked between all three, a confused expression adoring her soft features. "Don't tell me..." She trailed off.

Mila's cheeks turned a shade of ruby red as she looked at Cara. 

As if on queue, Cara and Vic both laughed. 

"Well this is awkward," Vic spoke. 

"I'm hungry," Mike stated, a hint of frustration in his tone. "It was good seeing you, Car. Say hi to James for us." 

The tension could be cut with a knife, Mila somewhat hurt he was vague. 

Vic nodded before waving both Cara and Mila off,  following Mike to a booth on the opposite of the room.

Once they were out of sight, Cara erupted into a fit of laughter, slamming her palms against the wood of the table in exaggeration. 

"Cara!" Mila hissed as she looked around. 

Cara ceased her laughing promptly. "Mike Fuentes? You had sex with Mike Fuentes?"

"How do you know even know them?"

"They're like my brothers friends," she said waving her hand around in a 'whatever' gesture. "But that's not the point. You had sex with Mike Fuentes."

Cara giggled like a school girl causing Mila to grow annoyed.

"Shut up, Cara," she stated. 

Cara stopped laughing. "Okay but why was he so... So angry? What did you do to the poor guy?"

Mila rolled her eyes. "I told him I had to go because I was heading back to LA. He invited me to breakfast or something."

"Why did you do that?" 

Mila shrugged. "It was awkward, okay? He asked me whilst I was standing half naked in his room. I gave him my number and when I left, his whole freaking band were sitting around the lounge room. It was mortifying." 

Cara smirked a little. "Explains why he's so butthurt." 

"What do you mean?" 

"He doesn't get turned down by girls a whole lot," said Cara. "Girls throw themselves at him because he's in a band," she rolled her eyes. 

Mila chortled monetarily. "Really?" 

Cara just nodded. 

"Do you have his number?" Mila asked.

Cara nodded again. 

"I'll send him an apologetic text when we leave," she assured. "Which should be now because I actually have to drive back to LA tonight and I can see Mike looking at us from the corner of my eye."

Cara finished off her drink, understanding her best friends willingness to get out of there. 

Meanwhile Mila pulled out her phone as Cara asked for the bill and proceeded to compose a text. 

Fiddling with her thumbs across the screen of the device, she racked her brain for the words she needed to put together for Mike.
♠ ♠ ♠
Really, really, appreciate those who take the time out to subscribe, recommend and especially those who comment. Thank you.