You're the One That I Need, I Am the One That You Loathe

Sharing Compartments With Your Crush

Severus Snape wasn't your typical twelve year old boy. He didn't enjoy playing outside with his friend, he didn't ride his bike around the block or play with action figures. No, he'd stay inside, reading the black leather bound books in the small sitting room. The kids in the neighborhood that seen him around thought he was a perfect kid to pick on. They would throw rocks at him whenever he did leave the house to go to the library in town or torment him if he was in his small yard that had one dead tree and gray sickly grass.

He was also never good in school. The other students would tease him about his failing grades and his supposed dumbness. But Severus was everything but dumb. He was a smart bright child when it came to wizardry. After all, he didn't spend most of the time reading those books for nothing.

He never knew why he went to that muggle school anyway. He knew he was a wizard, and so did most of his family, so why was he sent away everyday to endure the awkwardness of public muggle school life? He supposed he had to go just so their small family wouldn't be looked at weirdly if their son wasn't enrolled in school. Of course, he couldn't wait to get his letter. The letter that would tell him that he would become a true wizard.

And as he waited fro that time when he would go, he did manage to make on friend in his neighborhood. Her name was Lily Evans and she was just like him. She had magical abilities and wasn't afraid to show it. She was amazed by Severus. She would sometimes study him, watching him preform the magic in which she could not. Sure, she was a brilliant young witch herself, but she admired Severus. She was envious at his obvious quick advancements in his own magical power.

Finally, the day came and both Severus and Lily received their acceptance letters. Before they knew it, they were in the school they belonged in and were excelling exceptionally well. But, the year went by quickly and all the students were on the train home for the summer holiday.

And of course, once he returned, Severus' old tormentors had wondered where their most loved victim had went for the year. But soon enough, the letters were sent out again for the new school year, saving him from the summer of relentless fear that plagued him. Severus was glad to be leaving him home once again, leaving behind the bullies and the sometimes over protective and criticizing family members he lived with.

"Sev?" a small but sweet voice called out.

Severus was sitting in the corner of the empty compartment on the train. His thighs were pressed against his chest, his arms wrapped around his legs as his head rested against the window, slowly watching the trees go by in a flash. His head lifted off the glass to look at the door. Lily, one of his few friends, was standing in the doorway of the compartment, her trunk leaning against the frame and her school bag resting against her thigh, a smile decorating her feminine features.

"Can I join you?" she asked, not wanting to come into the compartment unless he wanted her to. Besides, she could always join her girlfriends in the compartment down near the back of the train if he wanted to be alone. But she would lie, hoping he would want her to join him. "All the rest are full, and you look rather lonely."

Severus knew very well that all the other compartments weren't full, but rather occupied by several other students Lily probably didn't want to associate with. Severus gladly accepted her company and helped her store her trunk in the overhead rack. She thanked him and sat down across from him, staying silent as he regained his previous position.

"How was your summer, Sev?" she asked, finally breaking the silence. "I didn't see you around much."

Severus felt like he had to have an excuse for why he wasn't able to be outside much. He knew Lily would understand if he told her the truth, but he couldn't bring himself to do so. He didn't need to burden or worry her with his home life. She had her own problems to attended to, he figured. "I was sick most of the holiday."

Lily knew Severus was lying to him. Sure, she supposed he had been sick at some point, but she knew that wasn't the truth. He wouldn't look at her when he said it, a tell tale sign that he wasn't telling the truth. "What's the real reason, Sev?"

Severus sighed, knowing he just couldn't lie to her. "Kids don't associate well with the 'vampire-kid'. Nor do they want to be seen around him for fear that he'd kill them," he said, referring to the name and persona the neighborhood kids gave him.

His eyes flickered over to her, watching as he lips pursed and her bright green eyes bulled. He didn't linger long on her before he watched the now endless fields pass by through the glass window. Lily, as he figured, was furious that Severus had taken to staying inside because of these muggles. She didn't understand how people couldn't see the person that he was to her.

"I'm sorry, Sev," she tried. "They're mean muggles."

"But," he looked at her directly. "they don't lie. They can see me for exactly what I am."

Silence filled the compartment. And it stayed that way until the old witch came by with the lunch cart. She broke the seemingly never ending silence that pressed against their ears. Lily stood and grabbed her sachet at her side, pulling out a black velvet bag with tan twine rope around the opening. Severus watched her mouth move, but didn't hear that music-like voice dance through the air.

"Anything for you dear?" she asked Severus sweetly. But he declined, telling her that he was fine. He wasn't hungry anyway. She left without a second through, closing the compartment door softly as she headed to the next compartment of students.

"Are you sure you don't want anything, Sev?" Lily asked in a caring tone, opening a box of Bertie Bots Every Flavor Beans.

Severus glanced at her, a smile smile playing on his lips. "I'm sure. I'm fine." He resumed watching the landscape go by and the train move farther and farther north as the sky darkened into night.

Again, silence encased them like a comfortable warm blanket on a cold winter's eve. The over head lanterns flickered on, the flame casting the darkening compartment with light. Lily had taken to a book, but soon gave up, seeming to be frustrated with something. Severus was slowly sub coming to slumber from the gentle movement of the train. He thought he had dreamed Lily getting up and opening the compartment door, peaking her head out into the hall before returning to her seat.

"Damn Potter," Lily cursed.

"What?" Severus found himself asking, suddenly wide-awake and wanting to know why Lily would curse that Potter.

"Potter and his gang!" she fumed. "They keep walking past and looking in here and glaring at you!"

Severus glanced at the compartment door, seeing potter himself walk by, sticking his tongue out childishly at him before continuing by. Severus rolled his eyes, thinking that Potter couldn't be anymore childish. He was only hurt that they would even dare to make Lily angry by hating him with a passion. They were just like those muggle at home.

"I'm sorry." He didn't know why exactly he was apologizing, but it seemed like it was needed.

Lily face changed from anger to understandment. "Oh, Sev! Don't be sorry! You did nothing wrong. I'm just mad that Potter has to always ruin my time with you."

"I could leave if you wanted him to sit with you instead..." Severus offered, feeling hurt that Lily was just like everyone else, not actually wanting to spend time with him.

Lily gasped and came over to Severus' seat. She wrapped her arms around him and pulled his body into hers. He didn't know what was happening at first, but them he just gave it and wound his arms around her, smiling into her hair. This was his dream, literally. He had been dreaming of this moment most of the summer. And it was perfect. Everything he was dreaming of for those three months.

"Don't ever think that I don't want to be around you, Sev," she whispered into his neck. "You're one of the closest friends I have."

And at that exact moment, just as Severus' heart skipped a beat at hearing Lily say that about him, the compartment door slid open, disturbing the two second years' embrace. Both looked at the intruder. There, in the doorway, stood arrogant Potter, his friends at his sides. The smirk that was smeared on his face was unpleasant as he watched the two jump away from each other. Severus blushed when he realized he had enjoyed that hug much more than was necessary. Besides, Lily had just said that he was her closest friend. Did that mean that she might have had feelings for him like the way he did her? Or was she just trying to be nice?
♠ ♠ ♠
Please tell me what you think of this! I worked hard on this Chapter.