You're the One That I Need, I Am the One That You Loathe

Friends

Dumbledore stood once again, his half moon spectacles resting on the bridge of his nose slid down an inch or so. They balanced precariously on the edge of his long nose. The food disappeared from the table and the gold plates cleared themselves to a sparkling shine. The hall was silent.

"Now that we're all fed, watered and positively happy and warm, I think it's time for bed!" Dumbledore jocked lightly, an airy laugh emitting from his throat. "First years please follow your house Prefect. They will show you to your common rooms. Good night!"

Chatter broke out again, along with the sounds of a thousand students standing and making their way to the Entrance Hall. Drawles and Severus talked about their summers as they followed the other Slytherins down to the common room. Drawles was explaining that he went to the States over the summer, spending some time with his aunt and uncle while his parents went on their honeymoon.

"What 'bout yer holiday?" Drawles asked, glancing at him as they reached the entrance to their common room. "Pure Blood."

The bare stretch of stone in front of them expanded, reveling the entrance to the Slytherin common room. Drawles led the way, Severus following not far behind as he came up with another excuse about his holiday.

"Er..." he desperately scanned his mind for something to say. What could be better than going to the states, unattended? "I-I just spent t-time at home. You know h-how parents can b-be."

Drawles looked at him with a raised eye brow as Severus stumbled over his words. He brushed it off, thinking that Severus was just embarrassed about not doing anything spectacular like he did during the summer. They walked across the common room filled with their fellow Slytherins towards the boy's dormitories entrance. Drawles held the heavy green tapestry open for Severus as he entered the dark hall. The narrow corridor was lit with torches mounted on the wall.

Drawles and Severus' footsteps echoed off the stone, creating an erie atmosphere. But they soon came to their dormitory and as they entered they were both met with cold water splashed in their faces. Taken aback, Severus spit out the water that had gotten into his mouth before glaring at Xavier.

"Why did you do that?" Severus spat, tempted to pull his wand out and jinx Xavier.

"I'm sorry, Snape!" Xavier exclaimed, rushing over to clean up the mess with his wand. "I thought you were Vendora! Please forgive me!"

Once Xavier had cleaned all the water up, the door had opened once again. This time Vendora was strutting into the room, a smirk on his boyish face. Xavier cursed silently at missing the chance to throw the water in Vendora's face. Severus rolled his eyes, walking over to his four-poster bed and bending down as Xavier sat down on the edge of his own.

"How was your holiday? Mine was great! My mom took me to the city and we shopped all day!" Xavier told, a smile on his face as Severus opened his trunk, listening to the story. "She bought me some new clothes and a few records. Oh, you have to listen to this one band, Severus. They are amazing."

Severus listened as Xavier began to explain about the band as they both changed into their pajamas and climbed into their beds. The room was soon filled with snores and sleepy breathing. Xavier had talked himself into a slumber so deep it seemed that if Severus was to throw him off the Astronomy Tower, he wouldn't wake. Not long after, Severus had fallen asleep himself in the warm bed.

Xavier was sitting across from him at the Slytherin table in The Great Hall, talking merrily about that band. Severus was only half listening as his eyes skimmed the hall, looking for that red hair. She wasn't there. Severus scanned the Gryffindor table again, hoping he'd skipped over her or she'd sat down just now. Instead of Lily sitting down, Drawles sat down next to Xavier with a frown on his face.

"Why the frown, Drawles?" Xavier asked. "Come on, smiled some! Eat some eggs!"

"I'm ain't hungry," he mumbled, turning his head away from Xavier.

Severus continued to search the hall, but still no sign of Lily. He looked down at his own gold plate, the food reminding him how hungry he was. He spread the margarine out on a piece of toast as Xavier spread jam on a piece for Drawles.

"Oh, come off it. What could be so bad that you can't eat?"

"I don't wan' ter talk 'bout it," Drawles sternly said, looking up at them. Severus paused in bringing the buttered toast to his mouth as he noticed the reddening mark under his eyes and the obvious lack of his accent. Drawles quickly looked down, his shaggy brown hair covering his face.

"Oh, Drawles!" Xavier exclaimed quietly. "What happened? Who did this? Oh, come on! Lemme see!"

Xavier lifted his head, turning it and looking at the red mark. He lightly brushed his fingers over the tender spot, assessing the damage. Severus eyed the mark. His eyes flickered to the doors. James and Sirius were walking through the door, laughing together. He narrowed his eyes at them, just knowing they had something to do with this. James glanced at him, smirking before sitting down next to his friends.

"That's goin' to bruise, Drawles," Xavier said as he let go of his face.

"I know," Drawles lowered his head.

"You can't let them do this to you," Sev told him. " I can... get him for you?"

"No!" Drawles immediately reacted. "Don't. Please, Severus, jus' drop it."

Severus sighed. He'd wanted to do something to James. Anything, as long as he got his revenge. No one messed with his friends and got away with it. It boiled low in his stomach, warning him. But it wasn't like he was going to listen to that warning. He pushed it down, forcing it to compress and shrink down into hiding.

Severus gave up for now. Drawles would eventually change his mine. But all thought of revenge was wiped from his mind when a loud whoosh echoed through the Great Hall. Severus looked up at the enchanted ceiling (the sky was a clear sunny day) to see hundreds of owls of all sorts of colors and breeds swooping down into the hall.

"Mail," Xavier breathed to a first year next to him.

The owls circled and found their recipients, dropping small packages, letters and The Daily Prophet down to them. A brown tawny owl dropped a letter in Xavier's eggs, swooped low enough to graze his head, ruffling his hair, then flew off. A potted owl landed on the table next to Severus, a letter and The Daily Prophet tied to his legs. He held out his leg for Severus and he untied the twine. Severus unfolded the parchment as the owl dipped his beak into Severus' goblet. Smoothing the parchment out on the table, Severus began to read the letter from home.

Severus,
How is Hogwarts? Anything new at the school? How are you're friends? Damian is doing well. Her pregnancy isn't hindering her work yet. She still refuses to rest a little. Your father hasn't agreed to let her stay with us, and Grandmother Prince hasn't gotten better lately. She's still in Mungo's.
The Evan's invited me to dinner last night after you and Lily got onto the train. It was lovely. They are such nice Muggles. Your father joined but he didn't seem to enjoy it much. You know how it goes. He's on a trip now, though. He had to head to northern England yesterday for work.
Check out the Prophet today. There's been more disappearances. One was near here. That bloke down the street from us was who it was. He, what the Muggles know, was walking his dog and he just disappeared. His dog was found running and barking loudly near the river.
Please tell me how your first day goes and all about your classes.
Have a good first day,
Mother

Severus smiled lightly at his mothers letter. He was glad she didn't tell him too much about the bad. He had enough on his mind at the moment. He re-read the letter. Damian was his grandmothers house-elf she'd inherrited when her mother was put into St. Mungo's last month. Of course, Severus' father wasn't happy about another magical thing entering his home. But Severus figured that he was to frightened of the power behind the magic to kick to elf out of the house.

"Mums ill," Xavier stated. She's come down with the flu, it seems. How's your mum?"

Severus glanced up at Xavier. "She's good. Says Damian won't take a rest and that fathers on a business trip."

Xavier smiled, taking a bit of his sausage link. Severus finished up his toast as he read the Daily Prophet. Nothing new was released about the disappearances and the Minister was refusing, according to the article, to make a statement. He told Xavier and Drawles about the new disappearance of the Muggle and they both agreed with him that whoever or whatever was behind them wasn't going to just kill them. They had to have a purpose for taking them.

Professor Slughorn, the Potions teacher and their Head of House, began passing out schedules. Drawles had started to perk up a bit by the time Slughorn reached them.