Status: Complete

Never What You Think

Never What You Think

It was a crisp Autumn day. The calm before the storm, as most people would call it; but, today no one would expect it to be meant so literal. The air was wonderfully cool with a sweet twist of heat. The kind of air that just felt…fresh. The sky held a grey that made birds as equally excited as the fans waiting outside of the one and only One Direction’s hotel. The five boys inside the hotel sat in separate rooms, enjoying their day off. Their deadly day off.

In room 409, Niall was playing a sweet tune on his guitar. He hummed along while watching the game, when he was interrupted by a knock at his door. He hoped up and danced over to it. He opened the door to reveal one of his band mates standing in-front of him, a smile plastered on his face. “Hey man!” Niall said moving aside to let his friend in. “Hey! What’s up?”
“Nothing much. Just catching the game, playing some tunes.” The blonde replied. He watched as his mate casually walked over to the window and shut the blind. Before Niall could question this, his friend said, “Yeah, sorry. It’s just so bright in here. Don’t you think?” Niall cocked an eyebrow then nudged his head to the side. “Whatever. Hey, did ya hear that song by Ne-yo? Mate, why don’t ya sit down. You’re making me nervous standing.” Niall muttered flopping back on his bed, picking up his guitar. The band member insouciantly walked over to Niall and gave him an icy smile. “Niall.” Niall’s eyes were locked on the flashing T.V. screen, hypnotized by the hefty players running across the screen. “Niall.” his friend repeated calmly. But Niall was still entombed with the game. His friend grew impatient. “Niall!” He growled loudly. There was an unrecognized hardness to his voice. Niall snapped his eyes to his friend’s face. “Yeah? Why are you still standing. Take a seat. You’re making me feel funny.” Niall said uneasily. “Niall, who do you think least belongs in the band?” Niall scrunched his eyebrows.
“What? That’s a stupid question. We all do.” He turned his attention to his guitar. His, now frowning, band mate stalked closer to him. “But you have to have a least favorite member.” Niall stood up and headed to the mini fridge. “Dude, I don’t-”
“Is it me?” His buddy walked closer to him.
“What? No! I love you, man. You know that.” Niall laughed. He laughed, but on the inside he felt uneasy. Something about the guy he thought he knew so well, was off. Very off. He hadn’t noticed himself backing away. “It is me. You hate me.” Niall continued to back away. Fear was growing in him with every step. Normally his buddy’s attitude was so calm and funny. However, he noticed his eyes were darker, and his smile was a crooked, evil kind of smile.
“No!” His voice was now quivering. Something was about to happen. Something bad. He could feel it in his gut. “No? Or maybe it’s everyone. Maybe you think you’re the best.”
“No! No, man, I don’t. Where are ya getting this?” He suddenly found himself backed into a wall. “Please.” He begged. “Please!” His friend didn’t seem to hear him though. He was lost in some meandering trance, just starring at Niall.
“News flash!.” The brown headed boy pulled out a knife from his back pocket, and Niall whimpered. Before Niall could get a chance to even defend himself, the knife was shoved deeply into his chest. “You’re not.” his mate continued. The blonde gasped. His friend smiled and watched Niall’s eyes dead over. “In-fact.” he said pushing the knife further into Niall’s chest, “I think you’re my least favorite.” He pulled the knife out watching the blood dribble to the floor. He frowned. “Messy.” Stepping over the, now dead, body he stepped into the bathroom to wash off his murder weapon. He then replaced it in his back pocket and left the room as if nothing happened.

Walking the cool, air conditioned halls felt empowering for the boy. He had just completed step 1 of his plan. As he knocked on the door of room 411, then began step 2.