Status: I wrote this one summer after meeting the inspiration of this story. Maybe you can find out who is it :):):)

Emerald Eyes

The Art Project

One day after school, I saw her reading alone at one of the school benches. Her brown hair was brushing out of her face, and I could tell she was really into what she was reading. I stared at her from across the lawn. I with Chase and my other friends as were discussing our Christmas vacations. I was the only one in the group who kept silent. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of her. My friends often joked why I wouldn’t go out with Sadie Adams, the most popular girl in school. She always smiled at me in the hallway and playfully followed me around. I didn’t really have much appeal in her, to me she was annoying and conceited. I couldn’t care less if her mother was the star of Saving Savannah, Ashley’s favorite TV-show.

“Asher? What are you staring at?” Chase asked, startling me. He was standing me, away from my other group of friends.

“Nothing,” I blushed. Chase looked towards the direction where Ava was sitting.

“Her name is Ava,” he said.

“What?” I questioned.

“Ash, I know you like her, you’ve been staring at her all through first semester.” I couldn’t believe my best friend, but he probably was smarter than me.

“I hear she likes you,” Chase said.

“I’ve never even talked to her before,” I replied.

“Doesn’t matter, she’s nice and shy, perfect target.” I eyed Chase, and then sighed.

I didn’t know what to do at that point. I ended up not even being able to have a conversation with Ava Stream throughout the seventh grade. By the time eighth grade approached her look changed. She waved her hair. She looked prettier that way. I wanted to tell her that, but I didn’t how. The only time ever we encountered each other that school year was in May, despite the long stares in the hallways.

We were partners in Art Class. Mrs. Ericson paired us up. I walked over to her, and stared at her violet eyes. She looked at me, causing us both to blush. Maybe she liked me to. I stared at her wine sweater and jeans. She had a black band on her wrist and pulled her long, wavy brown hair into a neat, high ponytail. Her face was flawless and had perfect angles, causing me to blush again.

The class duty was to draw your partner, and then take it home to color it. I thought it was a good idea, giving me a chance to gaze at her. Mrs. Ericson went around giving everyone large pieces of paper and pencils.

“You were in my English class last year,” I smiled trying to start a conversation. She looked and nodded.

“Yeah,” she said softly.

“You wrote really nice essays, even though Ms. Quay had to read them,” I said. I hoping I wasn’t making her feel embarrassed because of her shyness, I wish I hadn’t said anything.

“Thank you, so were yours,” she said instead. She made a small effort to smile, her violet eyes twinkled. I smiled back at her.

Mrs. Ericson came by and gave Ava two large canvases and pencils. She gave me one, our hands brushed again each other as I took a pencil from her. Then we sat opposite each other on the art tables, and started drawing. I started off with her face, which was heart-shaped.

We eyed each other many times, I swore one time I saw her blush. I could see her drawing of myself too. She was really good at drawing. She drew my black hair the way I always had it. I drew her eyes with her eyelashes. She had perfect eyebrows, I made sure I drew them like bird’s wings.

By the time we finished, I said, “You’re a good model,” I said.

She blushed, “Thanks,” she giggled. That was the first I heard her laugh, in the two years I’ve known her.

“You too,” she said.