Status: I wrote this one summer after meeting the inspiration of this story. Maybe you can find out who is it :):):)

Emerald Eyes

Afternooon at the Beach

I knew by now I should’ve asked her out. It seemed like Chase was doing pretty well with girl issues. He already had a girlfriend, Mia Long, who he asked out in September. One day he caught me staring at her again when Ava in the music room. I watched her melodiously play the harp, impressing Mr. Bolton. Her hair was in a long ponytail hanging down one shoulder. I could tell she was very focused, Mr. Bolton looked overwhelmed as he smiled. I couldn’t hear anything behind the closed door.

“Does she know?” I heard a voice next to me.

I jumped, “Jeez Chase!” I gasped.

“Spying on her again?” he asked.

“I’m not spying on her, I was looking for Mr. Bolton,” I lied. Chase eyed me and raised his eyebrows, I hated it when he did that.

“Okay, I was spying on her, but I just can’t ask her out,” I said.

“Why not? Ava’s like the quietest girl in ninth grade,” Chase said.

“What if she says no?” I asked. Chase laughed, “No?’ he repeated chuckling.

“Asher, do you know how many girls would kill to go out with you? You remember eighth grade when Rachel Moore cried her eyes out when you wouldn’t be her Valentine?”

“That was different,” I said. “Besides Ava looks like she doesn’t even need a boyfriend.” Just then Ava stood while Mr. Bolton thanked her.

“Oh god,” I said, I started running down the halls as Chase went after me. When I got home that day, I walked into the kitchen. Ashley and her friend Mandy was there. They were looking at the screen of a mini pink laptop. Ashley got it for thirteenth birthday. They seemed to be really occupied in what they were doing because they didn’t even notice when I walked in.

“Oh my god,” I heard Ashley say.

“Jake Weston has a Facebook?” she said.

“Shut up,” Mandy replied.

“Seriously, he’s like the cutest guy in seventh grade,” Ashley said. She looked at the laptop and then at Mandy,

“Dare me to send a friend request?” she said.

“Totally,” Mandy replied. Just then I opened the refrigerator and the two of them looked up.

“Hey Asher,” Ashley said.

“Hi Asher,” Mandy gushed.

My sister eyed her best friend, “Oh my god, do all my friends have crushes on my older brother?” Ashley asked herself.

“He’s cute,” Mandy said quietly. I smirked to myself, I knew I wasn’t interested in thirteen-year-olds.

I poured myself a glass of orange juice, while Ashley closed her laptop, “Let’s go to my room,” Ashley said. Mandy nodded and got down from the kitchen high chair. She smiled and waved at me as she left.

My Dad then appeared from the hallway, “Oh Asher you’re home from school,” he said.

“Yeah,” I replied. I looked at my Dad, he had the same black hair and green eyes as I did. A lot people say I looked just like him as a teenager. He always jokes how the nurses in the hospital find it difficult to work with him, trying to not be distracted by his looks.

“Are you in the mood for an evening surf before I go the hospital?” he asked.

“You mean it?” I asked. My Dad never let me go surfing at sunset.

“Tonight’s an exception,” he replied.

“Sweet!” I exclaimed. I put my glass in the sink and raced upstairs. I changed into my blue swimming shorts and got my things ready. A few minutes later I was outside in the driveway, holding onto my sapphire blue surfing board. My Dad was wearing a white shirt and black shorts, holding onto a red one. He helped me place the surfing boards on top of his black suburban.