Status: I wrote this one summer after meeting the inspiration of this story. Maybe you can find out who is it :):):)

Emerald Eyes

Ava's Nightmare

That night I had a nightmare. The setting looked familiar. It was late at night, and my four-year-old self happily walked down the front porch. It was calm night in Santa Barbara. Seconds later, my parents walked out my house and kissed each other goodbye. It was November and my mother wanted to buy earrings for my Dad’s older sister. I ran to the black BMV parked in front of our house and waited by the backseat door. I could hear the sound of the car doors unlocking as my Mom helped me into the backseat and put on my seat belt. She closed the door and sat in to the drivers’ seat. She smiled and drove off. Throughout the drive I was staring at the pair of violet eyes from the rearview mirror. I could tell they were pleased. There was nothing Mother Daughter quality time. But the worst thing I could have ever imagined happened to me. My mother drove onto another street and took her eyes away from the rearview mirror. I also looked away and stared out the car window. That was when I saw a red car speeding towards our direction. As first I thought it was going too fast, but it was headed towards us. It was really speeding! I got scared and looked at my Mom. She was obliviously driving. I looked back at the car window and the car was metres away from us. My Mom finally looked to her left.

“Mommy!” I shouted with my might. But it was too late. All I could remember was the glass shattering and many turnovers of the black BMW. It was a matter of time before I blacked out, completely out cold. I gasped and my eyes shot open. I was heavily breathing as I could feel the beads of sweat on my forehead. I rose up from my bed and calmed down for a while. Then I started crying.