Status: Acive, but currently on hold.

You can't cure me (REWRITING)

Chapter 10 - Drinks

I take a sip of my orange juice and feel someone staring at me. I look back up to notice it's CC whose eyes I felt. I look into his brown eyes for a second, but look away quickly.
"What?" I laugh at him. I'm kind of surprised that I laughed because his staring made me feel quite uncomfortable. I hate it when people stare at me. It always makes me feel like they're judging me, like they can see through my clothes and look at all the disgustingly scarred skin that's my lower abdomen and thighs, like they can see the scars on my legs that're left after the doctors had to take skin from them to implant on my lower abdomen to replace all the skin that had burned off. CC smiles back at me.
"Nothing. I was just wondering-" I hold in my breath, not knowing what to expect. Is he going to ask me about my life? What if he does? Would I be up to it to tell him, and everyone on this table, what happened 5 years ago. No. I know I'm not
"-why you are drinking orange juice, that's all", he finishes. I gently let escape my breath that I was holding this entire time, hoping no one noticed.
"Oh, it's just.. I'm still having these headaches so I took precautions and took painkillers with me. I'm not drinking tonight in case I have to take one. I don't want to mix alcohol and meds", I explain, earning an 'oh' sound from everyone at the table.
"Fair enough", the boy smiles and I can't help but smile back at him. He has such a pretty smile. There was a little gap between his front teeth and usually it bothers me when people have that, but not with him. It just somehow completes his smile. I didn't realize I was staring at him until someone awkwardly clears their throat, causing for both CC and I to pull away from each other's gaze. I look at Jake who had apparently been the one to clear his throat. A faint smile forms on my lips and I'm pretty sure my face has a look of embarrassment on it. He smiles back but from the look in his eyes I can tell it isn't a genuine smile, it's a forced one. Jake's lips may be smiling, but his eyes aren't. They're holding another emotion, one I can't quite put my finger on.
I'm about the ask him about it, but am interrupted by one of the waiters placing a drink on the table. We all look at him in surprise.
"It's from that guy at the bar. He bought it for you." he says looking at me. I glance over my shoulder but I can't see anyone sitting at the bar.
"Which guy?" I ask.
"The one", the waiter looks up into the direction of the bar, "who apparently left. Either way, he already paid for it, so enjoy your drink." He smiles at me and turns around to serve another table. I look at the glass warily. It's the first time someone ever bought me a drink, but what bothers me the most is that that person just left without saying or doing anything.
"Whoever wants the drink, go for it", I gesture to the glass which is still standing in the middle of our table. CC immediately claims it and I let out a small laugh. It, somehow, doesn't surprise me it would be CC who'd take the glass. He raises an eyebrow at me as if saying 'you sure about this?' and I give him a small nod. CC takes a sip and soon gulps the rest of the liquid, making a small noise in satisfaction. We all laugh at his reaction and he looks at us baffled at our reaction.
"What? It was a Martini. You all know how much I love my dirty Martini's", he exclaims. Everyone at our table starts laughing, except for me. I feel like I am missing an important part of the joke.
Jake sees the puzzled look on my face and says: "I'll explain it to you later, if you want." I simply nod and take a sip of my orange juice.
"Why didn't you want the drink though, Lisa?" CC asks me all of a sudden.
"Because as I told you earlier, I don't want to drink any alcoholic drinks when there's a high chance that I may have to take medication. And because of the fact someone took the time to order something for me, only to disappear straight after it is brought to me, I think that's a bit suspicious, don't you?"
CC just shrugs and said: "There was nothing wrong with it, it tasted just fine."
I smile at him once again. I sure have been smiling a lot this evening.

The rest of the evening goes quite well. As I expected I feel another headache coming up and I take some painkillers to prevent it from getting worse. CC and I talk about what kind of pranks he's pulled on his band mates so far when they're on tour. I can't stop laughing when he admits he took a water bottle, emptied it and filled it back with vinegar. When Jake asks him what he did with it, CC simply states that Jake shouldn't worry about it and that he has took care of it. The look on Jake's face when he says he'd only drink from water bottles that were closed was enough to send our whole table into a fit of laughter.

I look at my watch and see it's already almost half 1 in the morning. I let out a big yawn and Jake suggests he'd take me home. I happily accept that offer and say my goodbyes to CC, Jinxx and Sammi. As does Jake and we leave.

The whole car ride back home is silent. I can tell Jake is nervous about something because he doesn't even say a word. He is just so fixated on the road. Which would be a good thing if it wasn't for the fact that there's barely any trafic at this time of night. I am too tired to bring it up and lean my head against the window, silently watching the passing buildings and the few people who are out on the street. I feel my eyelids getting heavier as the minutes pass by and decide to rest my eyes a little.

We're already at my house the next time I open my eyes again. Jake gently shakes me in order to get me to wake up. I rub my eyes and get out of the car. As soon as I stand up I have to clutch the car door so I wouldn't fall over. Jake is next to me in no time.
"Are you alright?" His voice dripping with worry..
"Yes, I am. Just lost my balance again. Happens all the time. Don't worry about it", I quickly say to assure him I'm okay.
He just nods once and shuts the car door. Not saying a word he walks me to my door. I put my keys in the keyhole but before turning the knob, I turn around to face Jake.
"Do you want to come in?" I'm determined to find out the reason he's been so awfully quiet the entire car ride home. To my surprise, he doesn't answer me. He just gives me a small nod.
I turn the knob and walk in, Jake following me suit.
I flip on the lights and toss my keys on the counter. Jake sits down on the couch and soon I join him. I notice he's still anxious about something, like he isn't telling me something. I decide to not ask about it. If he want to tell me something, he'll tell me eventually. I'm not going to pressure him into anything. I grab the TV remote and push the button to turn it on. Some comedy I already seen starts to become visible on the screen. I don't really pay attention to it as Jake clears his throat.
"Lisa.." he starts. I turn around to face him. He's looking at his hands. I wait for him to continue, but when he doesn't I say: "yes, Jake?"
"There's something I need to tell you, and I beg of you, please, don't take this the wrong way." he says rapidly, he looks me straight in the eye. I blink a few times and then motion for him to continue, curiosity taking over.