Status: Acive, but currently on hold.

You can't cure me (REWRITING)

Chapter 7 - Losing

I simply can't stop the tears from flooding my face, so I just keep on crying uncontrollably. I'm still sat on my knees on the ground when I feel a pair of arms pulling me to someone's chest. I immediately tense up and start pushing them away with all the strength that was left in me. Somewhere, in the back of my mind, I know it's Jake who is trying to comfort me, but I don't want him to see me like this. As much as I struggle to get away from him, he just holds me tighter. I give up fighting him eventually, it has no use. It's like he knows that, even though I'm trying to get away, I actually want to be held. I start crying even more and Jake just lets me. He doesn't say a word, he just holds me tight. I don't know how long we're sitting there for. It can be minutes, it can be hours. It feels like hours though, I don't know. Eventually my body runs out of tears and I'm feeling exhausted, I'm feeling numb. I close my eyes and rest my head on Jake's shoulder. I'm tired of fighting. I just want to give up.
Jake rests his head on the top of my head.
"Lisa?" he mumbles. I don't say anything. What else's left to say other than goodbye?

"Lisa?" I whisper, but she doesn't respond. I let out a silent sigh. I wish I knew what was going on in that pretty head of hers right now, so I would know what to say. I want to console her so bad, but I'm afraid I'd say something wrong and make her feel hurt even more. It must've been so hard for her, all these years of self-hatred, years of trying to hide the scars for strangers, all these years of blaming herself for something that isn't even her fault. I wish she would see that. I wish she would see how much of a wonderful and sweet girl she is. We may haven't known each other for a very long time, but she's my friend. Seeing her like this, it hurts.

"Lisa?" I try again, but she still doesn't answer. I hesitate for a moment, but then pick her up and carry her to the couch and set her down. I glance at her, but she's just staring ahead of her, seemingly lost in her thoughts. I look at the cup she placed besides the couch before she told me all about her. I stand up and pick up the cup. There's still some of the liquid left in it. It smells like tea. I walk to her kitchen to make some new tea. While I'm waiting for the water to boil, I glance over to Lisa. She didn't move and was still just staring into space. I make some tea and walk back to her, handing her the cup. She takes it absent-mindedly and take a sip. I sit back down next to her, but with enough space between us. She looks at her hands and then at me.
"Why are you still here?" she whispers hoarsely, yet there's a little fierceness in her voice. I frown, shocked by her abrupt question.
"What? Why? Do you want me to leave?" I ask carefully.
"Everybody else does. I've gotten used to it by now, so I won't be surprised if you did."
"But I'm not like everybody else. I do care about you. Whether you believe it or not."
"Why would you care about someone like me?"
"What do you mean, 'someone like you'?"
"A monster, someone not worth living." she says quietly, barely audible, looking down at her hands again.
"Lisa, look at me." I urge her. She lifts up her head slowly and reluctantly. I move a little closer and look straight into her brown eyes. I cup her head with both of my hands.
"You are not a monster, okay? What happened to your parents isn't your fault. You are beautiful, inside and outside." I say, emphasizing every word. She drops her eyes.
"I am a monster, Jake. Haven't you seen the scars. They are there as a constant reminder of my weakness." she mutters.
"Lisa, I am going to repeat this as many times as needed; you are beautiful. Even with those scars. There's no use in hating them, because they aren't going anywhere. They will always be there, yes, but not as a reminder of what you call your weakness, but as what I call your courage. Not everyone would've done what you did. You ran back into a burning house, risking your own life. That takes guts and not everyone has them. And if no one wants to see past those scars, it's their loss." I say.
"I guess." she mumbles. I let go of her head and sit back to the spot I was sitting before. None of us both saying a word until Lisa breaks the silence.

"Aren't the others angry with me for leaving so soon yesterday and not showing up today?" she asks.
"No, of course they aren't. They understand you can't help the fact you're not feeling well."
"I've got to be honest with you though, I actually didn't want to go to Andy's and Juliet's today. I planned on telling you some kind of excuse so I wouldn't have to go and show my body. I didn't want to scare you or anyone else away from me. I just wasn't ready for that. The last time I went swimming, the staff of the swimming pool asked me to leave because they had received complaints of people taking offense of my body. All the looks I got back then..." she trails off. "The pain in my stomach this morning, sort of gave me the excuse I needed." she confesses.
"I'm glad you're telling me this, but you could've have said it yesterday too, you know. They would've understood if you didn't want to come." I reassure her.
"I just didn't want to sound rude, I guess. And it would've made the leaving part just a tiny bit more easy for me. I may have gotten used to people leaving me, but it still hurts every time someone decides to not longer wanting to be a part of my life."

How could I convince this girl that I, and I'm sure the rest of the band, weren't going to leave her? That she was our friend. How many times has she had to see people walk out of her life before? How could I convince her that she was beautiful, even with those scars on her lower body?
That's when my eye caught sight of the necklaces lying on the table. Sammi. Perhaps Sammi could help me out.
I guess Lisa saw me looking at the necklaces, because she asks: "do you mind giving them to Sammi when you see her?"
"No. I'm not giving them to her. You are." I say, a plan forming in my head.
"I am?" Lisa asks.
"Yes. You are." She looks at me with disbelief. "What?" I ask as innocently as possible.
"You think she still wants to see me after leaving so soon yesterday and not showing up today?" Insecurity's seeping through her voice.
"Lisa, they understand. They truly do. Don't worry about it."
"I'll try not to. Oh shit!" she exclaims all of a sudden.
"What? What's the matter?" I ask startled.
"I haven't visited my parents yet today! I've got to do that right now. I visit them daily, I cannot not go today!" she jumps up from the couch and looks around in panic. I go and stand besides her and put my hands on her shoulder.
"Lisa, calm down. It's only 7 o'clock. You've got plenty of time. You want me to come with you?'' She looks at me with a pained look on her face.
"I'd rather have you didn't come, to be honest. I'm sorry. It's just... It's pretty personal, you know. I'm sorry."
"No, it's okay. I understand. I'll just leave now. Will I see you tomorrow?"
"Depends on how I'm feeling tomorrow."

"Okay. Just let me know, okay? Bye." I pull my hands back and walk out the door. Once outside the building, I start thinking about what she'd told me this evening. I wonder when the right time will be to tell her I've got to go on tour in a matter of weeks and most of all, I wonder how she'd take it. I unlock my car and sit down. But before I go home there's just one more stop I have to make.