‹ Prequel: This Burning Room
Status: read it!

To Set You Free

Elena

I ran my finger over the rim of the coffee cup, feeling the steam curl around my knuckle. I was up before the sun and birds, to try and finish an online assignment for one of my college classes. This was the only time I could log on and get a good hour or so of work done. This was the only hour that I had to my self during the day. It wasn't easy trying to juggle two part time jobs, college, and four year old twins.

My peaceful morning is disrupted by a loud scream followed by a cry. I rush into my bedroom. There I find my son, Wyatt laying on the floor clutching his head and Kinleigh perched gracefully on the bed still.

"He kicked me, so I pushed him off the bed," Kinleigh said simply. She was my princess who didn't let anyone push her around. I was exactly like her as a kid.

"I didn't mean to, Kin, I was still sleepin'! Mama, tell her I didn't mean to! Make her say sorry!" Wyatt yelled. Tears were no longer streaming down his face, his hands were at his sides balled in tight fists.

"Kinleigh, Wyatt didn't mean to kick you. He sometimes does that in his sleep. He kicks mommy all the time. You can't push him off the bed. That is a wrong choice. What do you do when you make wrong choices?" I scoop Wyatt into my arms and sit in on my bed beside me.

"I'm sorry Wy, I thought you were being mean to me."

"I forgive you Kinleigh," Wyatt said while trying to give Kinleigh a hug.

"Ew," Kinleigh laughed, pulling away from her brother. "You have fart breath!"

Wyatt turned quickly to me, "Mama do I have fart breath?" he breathed out deeply in front of my nose.

He indeed had morning breath, or what my kids call fart breath. "You do Wy! There is only one way to cure fart breath. Lets go brush our teeth."

I picked both of my children up off my bed. "Can we have breakfast first?" Kinleigh asked.

"Sure. What do you guys want?"

"Birthday cake!" Wyatt screamed, hurting my ear drum.

"Glitter!" Kinleigh was right behind her brother with ridiculous breakfast ideas.

"Nobodys birthday is today silly, and we can't eat glitter sweetie," I still have each child resting on both hips as I work our way to the kitchen. "How about toast."

"With strawberries and bananas?" both of them said at the same time.

"Of course," I let them slide down my side so they climb up on their designated island stool.

I pop two pieces of bread into the toaster then head to the fridge to get the strawberries. I just finished cutting up the berries up along with a banana just as the toast popped up from the toaster. Lightly, I buttered the pieces then put them on a paper plate then sprinkled the fruit on top.

"Thanks mama," they both said before stuffing their faces.

Once they were done eating I let them play in their room, which is filled with all of the newest toys, so I could take a quick shower. I used to enjoy showers but now, I was always filled with panic. Fear that Kinleigh or Wyatt would get hurt.

Once out I wrapped a towel around my body and made my way to my room. I stopped in the kids room to check if they were still okay.

Kinleigh was brushing out the hair of one of her dolls and Wyatt was playing with his dirt bikes.

I slipped into my room and ruffled through my closet. I am pulling my top over my head as Kinleigh struts in my room.

"Mommy, you're so pretty."

"Thank you baby. You're pretty too."

She stood in front of me in the full length mirror. I lightly stroked her long hair as she gazed up at me through the glass. I've changed a lot over the years. I've stopped taking all the medications that I had been. I gained fifteen pounds during the pregnancy, which never went away. I was fine with that though. I no longer strive to be thing, I only wanted to be a mom. My hair is healthy and glossy, though I still hate it. I look good, healthy, clean, like how a mother should be.

I smiled down at Kinleigh. It amazed me how much I saw her father in her eyes. They are the exact same honey brown color. Wyatt came rushing in, his toy still in hand. His attitude reminded me of his father too. A fearless daredevil with a huge heart.

"Guys ready to go to school?" I ask, breaking out of my heart warming thoughts.

They smiled. They loved going to preschool though it was only three times a week from eight till noon. "Nana is going to pick you up okay guys? I'll see you when I get home. Give me a kiss," I bent down so I was at eye level with my children, placing kisses on each of their cheeks. "I love you two."

"Love you too, Mama," Kinleigh said sweetly. Wyatt was too busy wiping off his kiss.

My heart aches to leave them. I wish I could lock the door to our apartment and spend everyday with them, stealing them all to myself. However I couldn't, so while they were at school I went to job number one.

I walk into the little boutique where I work. Early morning shoppers were already there, a few items in their hands.

"Good morning, Elena," I hear a voice say as I enter the break room to clock in.

"Oh, good morning, Celia," I greeted my boss, though each word was dripping with acid.

"Did the babies get to school okay?" She is terrible at making small talk.

"Yes, I get them to school okay everyday. You're picking them up right?" I asked leaving the break room and taking my spot behind the cash register.

"Actually, I can't. I had some unexpected plans come up last night. So you can leave early if you like. I'll have Robin come it."

"Oh okay," I said. I didn't want to question her plans if the meant I got to spend more times with my kids.

"Give my grand kids kisses," Celia calls over her shoulder before walking out of the front door, leaving me to run her shop by myself.

The day went by fast, soon enough I was back in my car with Wyatt and Kinleigh strapped in their car seats behind me.

Once at our apartment, Kinleigh and Wyatt played in their room while I prepared lunch.

Once the kitchen nuggets were finished and the kids were done eating, it was nap time, though it was only for about thirty minutes.

It was enough time for me to finish my homework and submit it to my teacher.

"Mama, look at me!" Wyatt comes running out of his mom, his underwear was on his head and a blanket was tied around his neck. "I'm a dare devil!"

"Oh you are?"

Wyatt nodded his head enthusiastically. I laughed loudly, he is truly something else.

Four thirty rolls around and my front door opens. It's Annie, a teenage girl who lives down the hall. She comes to babysit for me when Celia is busy and I have to work job number two.

"Hey Annie," I call from my room, while I am finishing getting dressed.

"Hey Elena," I see her wave as she walks past my room and into the kids room. I heard them squeal in delight, they loved Annie and Annie loved them.

"Whats up minions?" I heard her say before I stopped listening.

I clipped on my necklace, the one I got for Christmas the previous year. Celia had got it for me and said it was from the kids. It was the nicest thing she has ever done.

"Okay kiddos, I'm leaving. Come give me a hug," I shouted from the living room.

Kinleigh and Wyatt come running towards me, hugging my legs. I bend to kiss the tops of their heads. "I'll be home around midnight. Money is on the table, the kids can have one snack before they brush their teeth and go to bed at eight thirty. Thanks again."

My second job brings back a lot of memories. It was once a run down bar only surviving by an occasional gig, now it was a town hot spot. It was always busy, even on a Monday night. Eric, my boss is wiping down the bar top as I walk in.

"Look good, mama," He pulls me into a swift hug. He has helped me a lot over the years. I look up to him like a brother, and I owe him for letting me have a job.

I start taking peoples drink orders. It was early but the place was packed. The bar was busy but it was never like this.

"Eric why is it so busy?" I asked when I got a second.

"You don't know?" He looked confused.

I turned when I heard a tap on the mic. A mic that hadn't been turned on for years. My heart stopped, it was him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I shoulder be doing my comp. homework but I wrote this instead. (:

Love you. C;