Status: Complete!

Across Time

One of Two

Celine raked her thin fingers across the dirt in the old junkyard trying to find anything worth salvaging. On her last trip she stumbled upon a broken iPod Touch that went nicely with her collection of artifacts. She enjoyed collecting things. Her collection was like her best friend – her family. It was always there for her when she needed a laugh, a cry, or just something to smash when she was angry. It never betrayed her or made fun of her much like people had her entire life. So yet again the young lanky woman spent her days rummaging through the old junk looking for anything to connect her to the past.

The past was where Celine felt she belonged. She wasn't like most of the people her age she didn't enjoy playing video games. She had only worn the virtual reality helmet once and it didn't suit to her liking. She didn't understand why someone would want to subject themselves to such gut wrenching carnage. She would stick to collecting. Her collection started out small when she found an old cassette tape the first time she happened upon this junkyard. She had been running away from Edward as his little gang.

He was once her friend. He would have done anything for her and she for him. At least until they started going to high school. Then he began to see Celine for the pathetic nerd that everyone else saw her as. She hated losing him. He was like family to her since hers had died when she was just ten years old. Her mother and father both tragically murdered. Celine wiped her pale tear-stained cheeks with the back of her dirt riddled hand. The thought of her parents limp bodies flashing through her mind. She cursed lightly under her breath and dug deep into the next junk pile. She pulled out a metal box. She opened the box and peeked inside.

A small smile flashed across her face as her dark eyes scanned the contents. There were old ticket stubs, programs, and even a few CDs. Stuck to the inside of the top were even a few stickers riddled with band names. This was the mother load. She closed the box swiftly and started to leave the junk yard with her new find. People disappeared past her as they teleported back and forth from one location to the next. She could use the teleportation station just like everyone else, but she knew it wasn't relevant. It cut down travel from the east coast to the west coast from hours or days depending on travel to just milliseconds. The teleportation devices had been invented to give everyone more time, but it didn't. It caused more rushing and more stress. Celine enjoyed living life quietly and stress free with her collection.

Her eyes hit the storage warehouse where she lived. Her great-grandfather had owned the place and it had been passed down in her family to her father. After her parents died she just found it too hard to let it go. So she stayed there using the extra spaces to fill with her collection. She opened the large metal door and slipped inside. It was cold and dreary inside, but it was home. Celine placed the box on a table and opened it once again. She organized everything into nice little piles while she cataloged them. There were dozens of tickets riddled with names like: Black Veil Brides, Bullet for My Valentine, and Avenged Sevenfold. Why a bride would wear a black veil puzzled her? Let alone the idea of why someone would give their valentine a bullet on such a gracious holiday. There were many things that confused about music from long ago, but it felt right.

She picked up the CDs and opened one called Sounding of the Seventh Trumpet by Avenged Sevenfold. The disc seemed to be in pretty good condition and there was a possibility that it could still be played. She placed it inside a player that she had salvaged taking it back to pristine working conditions. The first track began to play and it was unlike anything that she had ever heard before. Most music she had encountered now was heavily auto tuned and synthesized to be whatever an artist wanted it to be. Then she heard the most beautiful thing she'd ever heard in the world. The voice was raw and pure. It was heaven to her ears.