‹ Prequel: Killing Me Slowly
Status: I want to dedicate this to all my readers who have stuck with me from the very beginning when i first published Secrets Will Kill You. It really means a lot.

Breathe Life Into Me

The Rescue Part 2

Brit’s POV

Okay…deep breath. Buck up. You can do this…. I walked back into the motel room with breakfast and coffee and saw the bathroom light was on. My phone was on the loudest setting but I still kept checking it every five minutes just in case….

“Brit?” I jumped, spinning around to see Sam drying his hair in just his jeans.

“Hi uhh…coffee?” I offered.

He nodded, taking a cup. “Where’s Dean and Cas?” he took a sip.

My hand clenched the bag tighter. “Doughnut?” I said, holding it up.

He eyed me. “Brit? Where’s Dean and Cas?” he repeated. I sighed…and then I told him….

“He what?” he exclaimed and threw the cup across the room, coffee splashing everywhere. That was friggin four bucks worth of coffee….

“And you let him?!”

“Sam…he’s with Benny…and Cas…I…I didn’t want him to go but…he was already gone…and…you know how he is. He’d do anything for Melissa…” I noticed the way he lightened up slightly. “I couldn’t just tell him no…and even if I did he wouldn’t have listened. He has a way to bring her back and he will bring her back…I know he will”

He didn’t know what to say. “You should know that I at least tried to tell him not to go. There’s no way I wanted him to go back there…”

“But he still went back” he shook his head. I looked to the floor. “So…since it’s just you and me today…what do you want to do?” he asked.

I looked back up at him and smiled. “Really?”

“Well we aren’t just going to stay here”

~

So we just went out for a walk. It was a really nice day for it. He bought me ice cream…we went to the park…chased the ducks into the pond…and ended our day just laying on the grass, staring up at the multicolored sky. It was pretty much a perfect day…and I felt guilty for it.

“Is it wrong?” I asked him suddenly.

“Is what wrong?”

“That we’re here…enjoying ourselves…and Dean is there…fighting to bring Melissa back…?”

He hesitated for an answer. “I don’t know…but I think if we were to just stay in that cooped up room all day, just waiting to hear back from them would kill us. I don’t think Mel would want us to waste our time worrying” I nodded.

“Had she…really come to you in your dreams? Was it real…was she…?” he wondered as he leaned up onto his elbow to hover over me.

“Well she definitely convinced me to believe it was all real…she knew things that…I don’t know. It’s hard to explain” I paused.

“It was also weird because I know she was still alive the whole time but she acted like she was gone…like she was acting as my guardian angel”

“Like we need anymore of those” he joked.

“I know” I laughed.

“I guess that’s what scared me…unsure if she was okay or not”

“Well we’ll know soon” he assured me, stroking my cheek. I looked up at him and I saw so much in his eyes…but there was one thing on my mind….

“Tell me about Emielia”

“What? Why?” he sat up and looked away from me.

I sat up too. “Well obviously you felt close with this girl, right? I want to know exactly what is was that you felt for her”

“Brittney…” he shook his head.

“Sam…this woman might have been the one who saved you from going absolutely insane…I need to know who she is” I pleaded.

He just stared at me for a very long moment…and then he agreed. I readied myself for what was to expect of what he felt for this woman….

Dean’s POV

When I looked around again everything was grey and dreary and just…sad. The big, green, leafy tree that was right next to me two seconds ago was now dead and bare. There was no blue sky, no green grass, no birds, no animals, no forest…just a bare desert.

I looked around and saw a petite body in the midst of the fog so I started toward it and when I got closer…I saw it was Mel. She was sitting down, cross-legged…just staring down at the ground, blankly. Her shirt and her jeans looked like they were torn at. Her hair looked like it hadn’t been washed and like rats have been sleeping in it. Her face looked like she had gotten into a fight even though it was just because of lack of sleep…and maybe for other reasons I don’t know. Her fingers looked like they had frostbite on them and her blue eyes…were a dull grey.

“Melissa?” No answer.

“Mel?” Still nothing.

I sat down in front of her and just stared at her for a long time. “Mel, are you still with me?” I felt everything in me breaking. I couldn’t be too late…I was so close…. I reached for her hand and held it in both of mine. It was freezing. I was afraid it was going to crumble to pieces if I held it too tight.

“Mel…you’re my best friend…I’m a mess without you…you can’t do this to me…you can’t really be gone…” I spoke quietly and held back my tears. “Please…just come back to me…”

Then…she squeezed my hand. My eyes shot up to her face. There was no emotion in it. But her fingers did curl.

I quickly got to my knees and cupped her cheeks so I could make her look into my eyes. “Melissa, listen to me, okay. You do not just get to save the world and die on me. It doesn’t happen that way. One: it’s not fair and two: who says you get to have all of the glory, huh?” No crack on her lips. “Come on, Mel. Damn it!”

A tear slipped down my cheek as I put her forehead against mine. I opened my eyes and saw her lips…just there in front of me. So I went in and kissed her. Everything in me went numb so I couldn’t really feel anything from it…but I did manage to feel her kiss back. I opened my eyes again…and she was smiling at me. That smile that I just couldn’t resist. Then there was a flash of light.

~

Everything was blurry as I started to get my vision back. I managed to hear Cas yelling and Benny grunted…and some leviathan roaring. “Dean! Are you okay?” Cas asked.

“I think so…” I got to my feet. I looked around and saw we were in Purgatory now and leviathan were attacking.

“What’s going on?”

“We need to get out of here. They all sense that Melissa is awaking so they are trying to get every last bit of her power” Benny explained.

“No! I’m not leaving without Mel. Not again”

I looked around and that’s when I saw her. She was in the same place as the last time when we last found her, just was floating in midair, horizontally and she looked like she was peacefully asleep. But now she had some kind of force field around her, protecting her. I grabbed a weapon, raced over to her and decapitated the leviathan who was trying to break through.

“Melissa!” I exclaimed, slamming everything I had down onto the shielding.

“It’s no use, Dean…”

“We are not leaving her again!” I snapped back at them. “Melissa, I’m not leaving without you so you either bring yourself out of this state of whatever or we’re both staying in this Hell hole” I snapped.

But it seemed to just make her angry. She began to levitate herself up into the air and her eyes shot open…they were pure pools of white. There was such an immense power coming out of her it was literally trying to blow us all away. I watched the leviathan get disintegrated and then…everything began to calm down…and she came falling to the ground. I caught her in my arms.

“Cas, the portal” I ordered.

They opened it and I went running through first, landing on the bed with Mel still in my arms. I watched anxiously as Benny came through…and then so did Cas. I breathed a sigh of relief as they closed it up.

~~

Cas and I were on our way back to Sam and Brit…with Mel in the back seat fast asleep. I’ll admit…I couldn’t get this smile off my face. “You’re happy” he acknowledged.

“Well obviously! We got her back! She’s here” I said, still in disbelief.

My eyes kept glancing up into the mirror to look back at her to make sure she wouldn’t disappear on me. “Well then…if you’re happy…and this is what you wanted…then so be it” I glanced over at him and couldn’t help but feel like he was hiding something from me….

A groan came from the backseat. I turned my head to see her moving around. “She’s waking up” I said and quickly pulled over. Cas popped into the back to help support her. I shut the car off, ran to the back and got in front of her.

“Mel? Hey, can you hear me?” I coached, holding her face in my hands. Her eyes began to open slowly.

“Dean?” Her voice was raspy and she choked a little on her air.

“Cas. Water” I ordered.

I wrapped an arm around her neck to keep her sitting up while Cas disappeared and then came back with a cup of water. I gave him a look. “A bottle would’ve been better” I scolded but took it anyway and helped her sip from it. When she finished it I shoved the cup back into Cas’ hands and held her tight. She looked up at me and then turned her head slightly to see Cas.

“Idiots" she chuckled shutting her eyes. I laughed.

She opened them again to look up at me and she brought a hand up to my cheek, wiping away a tear that had escaped. I grabbed her hand and held it to my lips. “Do you know what you put me through? What you put Brit through?” I asked her.

“You two must be complete messes. Sam must’ve really had to step up to keep you guys together huh” I didn’t have the heart to tell her where he’s been and how I’ve been struggling to keep his head in the game. I just pulled her close and held her tight.

"Don't you think this is getting a little old?" she joked quietly.

"Yea, I’d say" I laughed.

~~~~

We got back to the motel and I helped Mel out of the car. She was so obviously weak and struggling just to stand on her two feet I wanted to carry her but she refused. I slammed the door shut and we turned to walk inside only to see Brit and Sam standing there in pure shock.

"Hey guys" Mel breathed out.

Brit was the first to race over to us. She jumped into Melissa, wrapping her arms around her and digging her head into her chest. I had to support them because she almost knocked Mel over.

"You bitch. Do you know what you put me through?" Brit spat.

“So I’ve heard” Mel chuckled and held onto her. Then Sam came over as well to hug Mel and welcome her back. As he did so, Brit jumped onto me, squeezing the air out of me. She was crying.

She let go and then quickly wiped her face so she could escort Mel inside. She looked back at me over her shoulder and winked. “You really did it” Sam said, getting to my side.

“Yea, well Sammy. A man’s gotta do what a man’s gotta do” I told him and walked away from him and Cas as he just scoffed at me.

I walked inside the room to see Mel and Brit going on and on as if she was never gone. They were just picking right back up…and everything was falling back into place. But there was something in the back of my mind tugging at every instinct I had saying it can’t be that easy because well…when is it ever?
♠ ♠ ♠
i know i've been slacking and i know this may seemed rushed but i just couldnt find the right way to bring Mel back into the picture and i jsut couldnt wait anymore. i missed her too much lol so i hope this will suffice. For those who hate it...im sorry. if you want u can send me ur own versions and i would be more than happy to read them!!! that'd be awesome :) i love hearing feedback from you guys and you deserve more updates from me than i usually give and i apologize for that i just have a lot on my plate. i hope you can understand

With love always,

~Nicole <3