‹ Prequel: Killing Me Slowly
Status: I want to dedicate this to all my readers who have stuck with me from the very beginning when i first published Secrets Will Kill You. It really means a lot.

Breathe Life Into Me

The Angel Or The Traitor? Part 2

“Slow read?” we asked Kevin, causing him to jump since Cas did his angel thing and had us all just drop in. I looked around and saw we were inside some kind of docked boat. “Slowest” he breathed out, shaking his head at us and then going back to what he was doing.

“Where's Garth?”

“Supply run? I don't know. Sort of lost track of when he comes and goes. You guys need help with something? I'm working here”

“You look horrible” Cas noted.

“Yeah. Thanks”

“He's right. Are you okay, Kevin?” I wondered.

“Fine. I'm just…in the middle of this” “And? Any luck?”

“Interpreting half a demon tablet? No. I got nothing”

“All right, well, buck up, 'cause, uh, we need some more of that demon TNT ASAP” Dean said. “You
used it all?” he stood and faced us.

“Yeah, so let's whip up another batch”

“Sure. West Bank witch hazel, skull of Egyptian calf, the tail of some random-ass newt that may or may not be extinct…”

“All right, all right, I get it – ingredients are hard to come by, huh?”

“That's just the first three ingredients”

“Give me the list. I'll get what we need” Dean and I smiled at our little handy angel that may not have been pocket sized but he was definitely easy to move.

While Cas went on his scavenger hunt for Kevin’s supplies I was becoming curious with Garth’s stuff in the boat…when I saw Dean was getting impatient and trying to bother Kevin who was trying to block out everything with his music so he could finish the tablet.

Dean!” I scolded.

“What? I was just telling the kid how hot his mom was”

“Ew”

“I’m bored

“You’re a child”

He opened his mouth to respond but his phone began to ring instead. He answered. “Hey, I thought I told you to go underground” he suddenly became serious. I set the book down and walked over to him. It was Benny…I could tell…. “I know. Your granddaughter told me…well, shoe on the other foot, you would have done the same…”

His eyes met mine and I was wondering what was going on through his head. I wanted to know what he was thinking…. This had to end…we had to know it couldn’t go on forever…being “friends” like this….

“Working a case on the other side of the country. Why? What's up?” I waited anxiously.

“Benny... one day at a time, man…all right, as soon as I'm done with this case, I'll uhh I'll be there,
okay?” I felt my chest tighten a little as he hung up.

“Is he alright?” I asked.

“Yea…” he brushed me off and walked toward Kevin to get his attention.

“Hey. Where is your mom?”

“Somewhere safe”

“You kicked your mom to the curb?”

“She was too distracting. I couldn't focus. The angels said I had to go to the desert to learn the word of God, all right? So…this is my desert”

“But your mom’s your mom, Kevin” I reminded him.

“I can't enjoy a world I need to save, Brittney. I can enjoy it when this is all over with. For right now…there's nothing more important than this”

I felt bad that Kevin had to be dragged into this…this time it wasn’t our fault though…not really. He’s a prophet…it was bound to happen either way…. “Dean…what did Benny say?” I gave him a concerned look. He just ran a hand down his face and opened his mouth to tell me but then we heard the sound of wings landing.

“I got what we need” Cas spoke.

“Well, it's about time” Dean grunted as we turned to face him…but it wasn’t just Cas. He had Mel and Sam standing with him. “What's he doing here?” Dean glared at his little brother.

“Dean…” I sighed.

“Don't worry, Dean. Once we save Alfie, I'm out” Sam promised. “Sam” Mel chided lightly.
We exchanged a look. What could we do? This was a brother thing…but they were our family….

“Oh, once we save Alfie. Don't hurt yourself, Sam. Cas, Brit and I can handle it” Dean spat.

“Not according to Cas” Mel spoke up, stepping forward and crossing her arms.

For a moment…I saw the same Mel I grew up with. The one who didn’t take shit from anyone…the one who stood up for what was right…the one who had enough love to give an army but an empty enough heart to hold it all inside…. Seeing her stand so tall in front of me…seeing her rebuild herself….

I noticed Dean had lightened up a little. “Mel…you should take Sam and get out of here. It could get messy” he avoided her eyes.

“I’m not going anywhere without you and Sam and I know you won’t go anywhere without Brittney. We’re doing this together. As a team. I’m stronger than ever and so are all do you. We can do this” she tried…and he even thought about it for a minute.

“I thought I told you we didn’t need him” he muttered to Cas.

“We need everything, Dean. And I need both of you, as you say, to stow your crap. Can you do that?” Cas wondered. The brothers exchanged a look and I felt some kind of compromise in the air.

We all got to the factory as night fell.

“That was a nice speech back there” I whispered to Mel as we all got out of the car.

“Thanks. Do you think it worked?”

“Inspirational moments aren’t really their thing…and I guess it all depends on what happened back at the hotel”

“He didn’t really tell me anything” she said pretty quick. I just let it go.

“So, there are four main points of warding-north, south, east, and west-and four Enochian symbols, like this that you need to destroy before I can enter” Cas explained as he drew the symbol on Sam’s hand.

“Okay, so, what? We go in, take care of the hell mooks, and you extract the angel?” Mel asked.

“Yes. After killing so many, I need to save at least this one”

“Sounds like a plan” Sam and I agreed.

“Okay. Let's do this” Dean whipped out the demon knife.

“Wait. Here” he handed me his angel sword.

“This doesn't just work on angels. It kills demons, too” I smiled. “Thanks Cas”

Dean’s POV

We made our way toward the factory and took out the first three demons that were standing guard outside. Then we walked in and as we were walking through the building we began to paint X’s over the anti-angel symbols. We separated-Mel with me and Brit with Sam.

"Aren't you the least bit curious about what Sam and I were up to...?"

"Not in the slightest. I just don't care anymore Mel..."

"That's not true..."

"Well I can’t care. He can do what he wants. He's a big boy. He doesn't need me anymore"

"But your wrong Dean" I looked at her. "He'll always need you. And you’ll always need him. and it wasn't fair that you made me and Brit to choose between you guys because we'll always need you guys too" Yea she was right...like always. I guess I was just being stubborn....

"I bet I can kill more demons than you can and still manage to cancel out the anti-angel sigils" she challenged and then just took off running down the hallway. I chased after her. How many guys can say they hunt with their girl...? And when they say hunt mean it the same way I do....

Keeping score she had four down and I had three. We were rounding around to where Sam and Brit should've been when Mel suddenly picked up the pace. Normally I would've assumed that she heard something I couldn't...but she wasn't able to do that anymore so it had to be something else.
When I rounded the corner I saw Mel jumping up onto a steel bar and swinging down onto a demon who had Brit pinned. Sam wasn't around though. I heard some grunts and a couple boxes fall over so I raced over to the sounds and saw Sam fighting (and losing) to another demon. Something inside me triggered and I grabbed the demon so I could spin him around to face me. I punched him in the face first and then stabbed him so he fell to the ground dead.

"Thanks" he breathed out.

"Come on" was all I said and we rushed back to the girls who were fighting off more demons that were pouring out of every entryway. Sam and I raced over to them and sliced the heads off any of them who tried to lay their hands on the girls...our girls....

I don't care what Sam said about his feelings or who he was seeing or banging at the time. He'll always have Brit. She will always be the one he goes to...and I used to think I would be the one who would need help realizing how to find a stable (almost stable) relationship...but it's him. If he doesn't know what he has then he has to realize it fast and stop being a dick....

We followed the screams as we continued further into the factory. It was definitely Alfie. "Dean..." Brit nodded to up ahead.

I saw some shadows passing by and quickly pulled Mel back seeing as she wasn't stopping. She gave me a hard look but when she saw why we stopped she shut up. Sam and Brit threw over some of our hand made anti-demon bombs and we kept moving.

"We have to be getting closer. Alfie doesn't sound like he can take much more" Mel murmured. I took out the spray can and crossed out the 'keep away angels' sigil. Anytime now Cas....

And just like that he was there for us. "Cas! Hey! You okay?" Sam asked as I noticed he was struggling to stand and having a hard time breathing.

"It must be the sigils. I'm not at full power" he heaved.

"Sam, help me muss this crud" I grunted.

"No, wait! There's no time. Samandiriel won't last much longer" Cas pointed I a door down the hall. I raced to it and tried to unlock it. It was no good.

"Here, Cas..." Brit went to hand him back his sword. "Cas?" Mel sounded concerned . I spun to see him covering his ears in pain and he started to stumble back, cowering in fear....

"Dean! The door!" Mel ordered.

"Do you think you can do it?" I asked her.

But I saw the nerves set in and she was suddenly insecure and unsure of herself. So I just went back to trying myself. It was still no use. "Okay plan B"

"We have a plan B?" Brit asked me.

So I acted on impulse with Sam acting at my side as we charged at the door. It didn’t feel like it was budging in the slightest with each tackle we threw at it but we kept trying. "Come on, Cas. Get it together!" Mel tried to get through to him as she and Brit were down on the floor next to him trying to help him out of whatever trauma he was experiencing. If only this door would just bust down....
Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Brit and Mel standing there with these looks on their faces that were so intense I didn't want to be in their way. Sam and I moved to the side and watched as the girls ran at full speed into the steel door, knocking it down in one shot. We raced in to help them to their feet and Mel groaned when I touched her shoulder. I lifted her sleeve to see a huge bruise already forming. I turned my head expecting Crowley but he was gone. Coward...he's lucky....

Brit’s POV

The guys were fighting off the other demons as Mel and I helped Cas over to Alfie who was strapped to a chair and had some kind of metal gear nailed to his head. “Be very careful. Even the slightest movement can injure or even puncture him emotionally and physically” Cas instructed. Mel and I exchanged a look and then quickly…but carefully…began to help Alfie out of this trap.
When we got all the nails out of his head we helped up and into Cas’ arms. “Go. Now!” I ordered and he quickly got them out. We turned to see the other demons down and out. The only one left was one who seemed like he was in on this with Crowley.

“Please! Yes, I know things! There's so much you don't know. You need me” he insisted.

“Yeah…I don't think so” Dean said and stabbed him with the knife.

“Hey, are you okay?” Sam came up to me. “Yea…lets go find Cas and Alfie” I said quickly and we all rushed out.

Mel’s POV

“Cas!” I called to him. But when we got closer I saw he was cradling a lifeless Alfie in his arms. “What the hell happened?” Sam asked.

“He was compromised” He slowly got to his feet and brought his eyes up from the body. “He came at me. I killed him in self-defense” I eyed him because something about it all just didn’t seem right…it was almost like it was…rehearsed….

Some blood began to trickle down from his eye. “Cas, are you okay?” Dean asked. He wiped at the blood. “My vessel must have been damaged in the melee. I have to go. Samandiriel's remains belong in Heaven” was all he said as he bent down to grab Alfie.

“Cas…hold on…” I tried.

“Thank you all…for everything you've done” With that…he was gone.

~~

"Okay. That should do it. Cas can't see or hear us now" Sam said as him and Brit finished up the last of the anti-angel symbols around Rufus' place. "Okay, what the hell?" Dean and I stopped pacing to snap at both of them.

"I know..."

"I told you something was off with him since he got back from Purgatory" Dean shook his head and continued to pace away.

"So, what, you think someone's messing with him or something?" I asked.

"Who?" Dean wondered. "Angels?" Sam questioned. "Why would the angels have him kill another angel?" Brit disagreed.

"You know what, man? We got this. You go" Dean suddenly gave a cold shoulder to Sam taking up a spot on the couch.

"What?"

"Don't you have a girl to get back to?" We all looked at Sam but he looked away. "Since when are you on the Amelia bandwagon?" Right now...it was just Dean and Sam I the room. Brit and I didn't even exist anymore and It was nice to see them be civilized with each other again....
Dean ran his hands down his face and picked up his beer from the table. "I don't know. I'm just tired of all the fighting. And, you know, maybe I'm a little bit jealous. I could never separate myself from the job like you could. Hell, maybe it's time for at least one of us to be happy"

"What, you being such a big hugger and all?" He thought about his next words.

"The thought of her...does make me happy...and she could be waiting for me if I went back. Id be a very lucky man if she was...but I'd also be a very stupid man not to realize what you have right here" he walked toward Brit.

"The thought of her and what we could have is nice...but it's just a thought. It could never happen. It's not like what we do have...she's not like what I have right here. Something that's real and tangible...something I don't want to ever lose..." He cupped her cheek as she just stared up at him in awe.

"With everything staring down at us, with all that's left to be done..."

"Things will get messy. And we need to stick together" Brit finished for him. "Yea" he smiled down at him.

"Whatever you decide, decide it. Both feet in or both feet out. Anything in between is what gets you dead" Dean established being a bit morbid even though i could tell he was happy to have the team back. Isn't that kind of like what I've told him...?

It got a bit later and Sam and Brit were dozing off on the couch...I admit I was doing the same. But I noticed Dean wasn't at my side anymore and he was talking outside to somebody. I got up slowly and walked over to the window.

"Listen, Benny. Everything you've done for me, I will never forget, but, uh...This is it...end of the line. You, uh...you stay good, all right? Yeah, man. Adios" He hang up.

It broke my heart to bar him sound so sad and heartbroken and almost lost. He looked at me and tried to smile so I tried to smile back. "Both feet in or out right" I tried to make him feel better. "Right" He took my hand and lead me back inside.

We walked in to see Sam and Brit sitting close together I the couch with four beers out and ready to go as the TV was on. They looked up and smiled at us. We walked over to them and I sat next to Brit with Dean on my other side. That's how our night ended-with all of us together drinking beer and watching some TV. In the end...it'll always be us. No one else matters because all we have and all we need is each other...and that's good enough for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know. im a terrible person for not updating. A LOT has been going on in my life. im doing my best! i hope you enjoy it