‹ Prequel: Killing Me Slowly
Status: I want to dedicate this to all my readers who have stuck with me from the very beginning when i first published Secrets Will Kill You. It really means a lot.

Breathe Life Into Me

The First Trial Part 2

Brit POV

“So...what's our play?" Sam asked as we walked over to Dean and Mel.

“Well, you camp here, figure out who whored their soul. I'm gonna go scout the grounds, see if I can't gank Huckleberry Hound before he makes his next move" Dean answered him, never taking his hand away from Mel.

“Wait, you're not going alone, Dean. I'm gonna come with you”

“Wrong”

“Uh, they're on lockdown, and you need backup”

“No, I don't”

“Yes, you do...” Why did I suddenly feel like they forgot Mel and I were standing right there?

“No, I need you to be safe, Sam, okay? I need you all to be safe. That's what I need”

His eyes met mine. “Dean, when are we ever safe?” I said lightly.

He averted his eyes at first...but when he brought them up again. That’s when I saw it. He was going in alone...and he wanted my backup. “This is different”

“How?" Sam demanded.

“Because of the three trials crap, God's little obstacle course. We've been down roads like this before, man, with Yellow-Eyes, Lucifer, dick friggin' Roman. We both know where this ends...one of us dies...or worse"

“So, what, you just up and decided it's gonna be you?"

“I'm a grunt, Sam. You're not. You've always been the brains of this operation”

“Dean..."

“And you told me yourself that you see a way out. You see a light at the end of this ugly-ass tunnel. I don't. But I tell you what I do know, it's that I'm gonna die with a gun in my hand. 'Cause that's what I have waiting for me, that's all I have waiting for me. I want you to get out...” He faced Mel. “I need you to get out...” his voice cracked as they stared into each other’s eyes.

I glanced at Sam and then hung my head. This was the Dean and Melissa Show. It always was and always will be...so shouldnt the main stars get a happy ending? What happened to happily ever after? Why can’t any of us catch a break? Ever....

“I want you to have a life...become a man and women of Letters or whatever...” he continued talking to all of us but kept his eyes on Mel. He looked back up at me and Sam. “Get married...have kids...grandkids...live till you're fat and bald and chugging Viagra...” he chuckled with eyes on his little brother. He looked back down at Mel. “Move on...forget about me...” he murmured. She started shaking her head as he was getting choked up. “That’s my perfect ending and it's the only one that I'm gonna get...” he cleared his throat and looked up to the ceiling before snapping a hard set of eyes to Sam.

“So I'm gonna do these trials. I'm gonna do them alone, end of story. You're staying here. I'm going out there. If land shark comes knocking, you call me. If you try to follow me, I'm gonna put a bullet in your damn leg” he grunted at him and then kissed Mel hard before forcing himself to walk out the back door, leaving her to linger and just watch after him.

“Brittney...you need to go...you need to go watch his back...” she murmured.

“What?! But you heard...”

“I think he really would shoot Sam to stop him...and he would never forgive me if I went...but I saw the look he gave you...he wants you part of his team. He wants you to watch his back and he needs you...more now than ever...”

I thought about her words.... “What? No way. If I lose my brother I’m not going to lose you too” Sam pulled me back, away from Mel.

I clenched my fist and took a deep breath. This was my best friend asking for my help to protect someone she loved more than anything else in the world...possibly even more than she loved me. I had to do this for her...and for Dean...the show must go on. I looked up at Sam and smiled.

“I’ll be fine” I told him and rushed out of the door, chasing after Dean.

Sam’s POV

I paced around the rooms, occasionally glancing outside, wearing a pair of glasses Dean had rigged to see hellhounds. My eyes went to Mel a few times who was peeking through the curtains every now and again. I was pissed and annoyed...but not with her. I know if she even tried to convince Dean to not do it then it wouldnt work and it would just drive a wedge between them because he wouldve still gone anyway because he feels it’s the right thing to do. He feels this is what’s right and that he doesnt deserve a good ending.

“I need to take a leak" Noah voiced.

“Hold it" I barked.

“Yeah, at my age? Not really an option, so either you let me go or get me a bottle”

“Ugh. You're disgusting” Cindy scoffed.

I just rolled my eyes as I moved over to Mel’s side. “You okay?” I asked her.

She didnt answer at first. “I have this feeling...like I should be scared of hellhounds...like I should be anxious or terrified even...”

“Well...they’re scary things” I pointed out.

“No, not because they’re scary...because of something they’ve done...I guess because of what they do...I cant remember...how Dean went to Hell...I mean, I know he was there...he sold his soul for us, I remember that...but how did he get there? Was it Lilith? A demon? A hellhound?” Her voice was sharp and monotonous and her eyes pierced through the window. “Why can’t I remember?” she cursed herself.

Before I could try to comfort her she straightened her posture quickly, spun and sprinted across the living room, jumping over the couch in the process, like she was jumping hurdles. I noticed Alice was missing and ran in Mel’s direction as she almost broke the front door from throwing it open so hard. When I reached outside I saw Mel tackle Alice down and pinned her down against the grass.

“No, no, please. Just let me go, please. Please. No! Please, don't hurt my family" she cried.

“We’re not. We’re trying to help you" Mel snapped as she thrusted Alice back to her feet and then froze, spinning around and turning in all directions. I started toward her. “Get in the house" she ordered.

“What? What?”

“Get in the house!" she barked, causing Alice to jump and race passed me, back inside.

“It’s here. I’m done sitting around” was all she said as she stalked back into the house and I could only imagine what she was planning. I found myself smiling to myself because for just a moment...I saw the old Mel back...and it made me feel more relaxed. I never realized how much I really counted on Mel’s confidence.

Brit’s POV

“Dean...you deserve a better happy ending then just dying...” I started as we cautiously walking through the barn where most of the help slept at night.

“Brit, I wanted you here to watch my back, not give me a lecture...” I grabbed his arm to stop him.

“Hey, I’m here because Mel asked me to be...and because I couldnt just sit back and watch you screw it up. So if we’re doing this thing right now then we’re doing it together...”

“Brit, I can’t let you do the trials too...what’s the point of that...” “The point is that you wont have to do them alone” I gave him a look and then kept walking, not giving him a chance to argue.

I could hear a faint sound coming through the walls. It sounded like loud, eardrum bursting music and when we came to the room that the music seemed to be coming from Dean opened the door slowly and we saw Ellie dancing around the room, drinking from a bottle of booze and she was in lacey clothing. Dean stepped over to the stereo and turned it off, gaining Ellie’s attention.

“Just in time" she smirked at him.

“Ellie, are you okay?" Dean asked carefully.

“I'm good. And I bet you're great” She leaned into him, kissing his lips as his eyes went to mine and I made a face as he pulled back.

“Yep, great" she sighed happily.

“Listen to me, Ellie. Whatever happens, whatever you hear, you need to stay in here with that door locked. Sit tight, okay? This is gonna sound crazy, but there is something evil out there" he tried to explain.

“I know" she shrugged.

“You know?" I narrowed my eyes at her. “It’s coming from me" she admitted and my eyes popped. What?! “When my parents split up, my mom took a job here. This was before the Cassitys had money, but it was the best she could do. So I grew up on this farm..." she started to explain herself.

“That's how you met Crowley?" I asked.

“They had this big dinner, and after, I saw him kissing Margie. I ran. I didn't know what to do. But Crowley found me. We talked. He seemed so nice”

Dean and I both scoffed. “The best con men always do” he commented.

“He asked me, if I had one wish, what would it be? So I told him”

“And he made you sign over your soul” I assumed. “He didn't make me do anything. My mom, she had Parkinson's, early stages, and I knew how that story would end. So I took the deal. Ma is retired down in Phoenix now, plays golf every day" “That was a stupid move, Ellie" Dean chided. “I did it for my mom, Dean. What would you do for your mom?" Dean glanced back at me., We both knew that answer.

You had to know this was coming" I sighed.

“No. How?”

“Crowley didn't tell you about the 10-year ticking clock?"

“What? I knew that when I died, I wasn't going to heaven, but he never said anything about that or monsters”

“What a douche bag. He probably didn't say jack to Carl or Margot, either" Dean said.

“Margie made a deal? So she's...”

“She's gone" I nodded.

“Oh, God. I...a few years ago, Carl got drunk. He told me he did some kind of magic at a crossroads, summoned a demon. I put two and two together, and when I saw what that thing did to him... I just never knew about Margie. I thought I was next”

“And you didn't run?" Dean asked.

“Where would I run? All I wanted was one last meal, some good tunes, and maybe...” she gestured to Dean and the bed and I just gagged. “I don't want to die...Dean, what's happening?"

I noticed the way she looked at Dean and then at me, like we were something different from normal. “Ellie, whatever you're seeing, it's not real. It means the Hellhound, it's close. Look, you need to stay inside this circle, okay?” he formed a circle of goofer dust and forced her to step inside. “No matter what happens, you stay inside that circle. You understand me?" he grunted, she nodded and we both raced out of there.

When we reached outside I saw Dean eyeing one of the other barns as the doors blew shut and Dean put on his hellhound glasses. He pulled out the knife as we reached the barn and I slid open the doors. “Wait. Here” he hissed at me and I watched him walk inside. I could hear some growling and I even saw some dust and hay fly up into the air.

“Oh, so you’re Crowley's bitch. I guess pets really do look like their owners. What are you waiting for? Come and get it!" He could see it. He could really see it!

Dean raised his arm above his head to throw down the knife but he got thrown across the barn, landing on some blocks of hay. I charged in and ran for the knife but it felt like a wre I opened my eyes but everything was a blur. I was able to make out one of the bodies...it looked like Mel...she was firing round after round at the monster dog with Sam right behind her. I wanted to yell for them to get out and get away but I couldnt even breathe at the moment. My sight was slowly coming back and I saw some blood sprayed across the floor and the dog whined in pain. But then I watched as the thing must have left the ground, leaping through the air, taking down Mel and Sam. I made out the fact that while Sam was flat on his back, Mel was on top of him with her back on his front and they were both fighting off the dog’s attacks. I looked to my right and saw the knife. I stretched out and slid it over in their direction and Mel was reaching out for it while Sam was still holding off the monster. Then right as she gripped onto the handle, Sam’s hand covered hers and together they stabbed the knife upward, into the body. I watched as they sliced down and black blood began to fall on the two of them like a dam opened up and water ran rushing out.

I used the wall to push myself up to my feet and saw Sam pushed the dead hellhound to the side and Mel rolled off his stomach, pushing herself up onto her knees. We all just exchanged a look as Sam and Mel sat there bathed in the hellhound’s blood. Then we all just collapsed back to the ground, exhausted. Dean turned his head to look over at me and I saw the distress in his eyes. Well...so much for that.

~

“You need to go to a hospital" Ellie said as I got done patching up Dean’s injuries. The gashes were pretty deep but it wasnt anything I couldnt handle.

“Oh, I've had worse” he shrugged it off.

“Yeah, he's had worse" Sam and I both grunted in response.

Dean just glared at me as I stood back up to my feet and crossed my arms. I noticed his eyes went to Mel and Sam who had changed out of their soiled clothes and into new ones. Their skin was still stained though.

“So, what now?" Ellie broke the silence.

“Now we make a hex bag, and you start running. If Crowley can't find you, then he won't be able to sic another mutt on you" Dean answered.

“So I'm not going to hell?”

“Not on my watch” He paused. “Will you give us a minute?" he gestured to the rest of us. She nodded and then walked out.

“Dean, even if she can dodge Crowley, as soon as Ellie dies, her soul is earmarked for hell” Sam reasoned.

“Not if we shut it down first” Dean said, pulling out the spell from his pocket.

“It’s not going to work for you, Dean” Mel sighed. He ignored her and recited the words. Nothing happened. “Doesn't matter. We'll track down another Hellhound, and I’ll kill it”

Mel stepped forward, ripping the paper out of his hands. “No” Her voice was stern and almost deadly. I thought she was going to slap him.

“Melissa, I didn't pass the test..." he reminded her.

She nodded. “I know. And neither did Brittney. I’d call that a win” she smiled in my direction but I couldnt even manage it.

“How could you possibly...”

“Sam and I passed the test. And we’re going to do the rest of them”

“Like Hell you are...”

“We’re closing the gates, Dean. I won’t stand by and let you do it while knowing it’s just a suicide mission for you”

He looked at her more gently. “Mel...”

“Dean...I want to slam hell shut, too, okay? But I want to survive it. I want to live, and so should you. You have friends up here, family. I mean, hell, you even got your own room now...” she grinned. “You have me...” she murmured and I watched him lean his face more into her hand, needing the feel of her touch.

“I don’t know what’s going on with me...why I can’t remember some things...but I have this gut feeling that tells me I can’t let you do this...that it’s my...our...turn to save you...” That gut feeling was her mind trying to recall Dean being dragged away.

“I know I didnt used to...but I’m starting to see a light at the end of this tunnel...and I’m sorry neither of you do...” Her eyes met mine for a brief moment and Dean and Sam looked over at me as well but I averted my eyes. “But you need to trust me and Sam. The light is there. And if you come with us...we can take you to it” She looked over her shoulder at Sam who smiled, encouraging her to continue.

“Mel...be smart here..." he choked out his words.

“I am smart, Dean and so are you. You’re not a grunt..."

“You’re a genius. From when it comes to lore to you're the best damn hunter I have ever seen. Better than any of us, better than dad. We believe in you, Dean. So, please please believe in us, too” Sam stood tall behind Mel, the two of them supporting one another completely with Dean being outnumbered.

He went to hand the paper to Sam and I jumped forward. “You’re serious? This is the new plan now?” I looked at all of them like they were crazy. I thought at least Dean would talk them out of it but he fell for their scheme.

“Brittney...”

“No, dont Brittney me. You’re in no condition to even consider something like this right now...”

“My condition is fine...”

“No! No, it’s not fine!”

“Brit, you have to calm down...” Sam tried.

“How can I calm down when we dont know what this will do to you guys?! For all we know you both become sacrifices by the third trial!”

“You’ve been reading too many...”

“This isnt a joke, Sam! I...I can’t...” I was at a loss for words as my eyes flashed between the two of them like lightning. “I just can’t do it anymore...the sacrificing, the suicide missions...”

“We dont know that this is...” Mel started but then stopped. I felt her walk toward me and she took my hands in hers. “I promise...this isnt what it seems like. We all want the same thing right? To close the gates. And if this is the only way then...”

“I know...I just...I wish it was all or nothing...” She gave me sad eyes, understanding what I meant. I either wanted all four of us to be going through it together...or no one going through it at all.

“But that’s not how it ended up...so you need to let us do this...okay?” Since when did she become the voice of reason?

My eyes met Sam’s and he tried to smile back at me but it was just pathetic. He knew we would be talking about this later. But I just nodded at Mel and watched her get to Sam’s side. They exchanged a look first and then read from the paper. There was a whooshing sound like a window had been opened and the wind broke loose but no window was open. I looked back at Sam and Mel who went wide eyed as they both grunted and fell to the floor, writhing in pain. Instinctively I ran to Mel as Dean ran to Sam.

“Mel?! Come on, Mel! Talk to me!” I tried to get through to her but she was just in so much pain.

“Sammy? Come on, Sam!” He was the same way.

And then there was a white light that traveled up through Mel’s veins in her arms and all of a sudden they werent in so much pain anymore. She was breathing hard as I wrapped an arm around her to keep her steady on our knees. “You okay?” I demanded, looking into her eyes. She gasped sharply.

“I’m good...I’m okay...” she breathed out and looked over at Sam. He nodded at her, shaking just as bad as she was.

“We can do this” he nodded.

My big sister...my only role model ever...was always ready to give up everything if it meant protecting me...she was always ready for anything...and always knew the outcome. She prepared for the worst but somehow knew everything would be okay...so why couldnt I do the same for her? Why did I know this was going to end badly and why couldnt I do anything to help? How come Melissa always knew what to do, always had a plan and a backup plan up her sleave? And all I could do was watch her risk everything for me...for all of us...