‹ Prequel: Killing Me Slowly
Status: I want to dedicate this to all my readers who have stuck with me from the very beginning when i first published Secrets Will Kill You. It really means a lot.

Breathe Life Into Me

Fallen To Pieces

+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~

Mel

"This makes no sense. I mean, how many angels fell? Hundreds, thousands? And nobody sees anything. This is..." I started, shaking my head as I just stared out the window of the passenger seat while Dean drove us all down the highway.

"Hey, look at this. They're calling it a meteor shower. Seriously? What's going on, man?" Sam flipped shut the newspaper and tossed it to the floor.

I eyed Dean and then looked back at Brit who had her eyes on the floor. "Hey...you okay?" I asked her.

"Me? Oh yea, I'm fine! Why wouldnt I be?" she smiled but it didnt look right to me. "It's just..."

"It's just we got a major freakin' crap fest on our hands. Yeah, tell me about it. Thousands of superpowered dicks touching down, and we got no idea where to start" Sam shook his head, incredulous as he reached for Brit's hand.

"Angels aren't our problem right now, okay? Or demons, or Metatron, or whatever the hell happened to Cas" Dean spoke up and he seemed really upset.

"Why? Because we hugged it out in that church and now we're gonna go to Disneyland? Dean, you said it yourself, we're not gonna sleep till this is done"

"I know"

"So, what's the problem?" He didnt respond.

"Dean? Hey...what's wrong?" I asked gently, putting a hand on the back of his neck.

He turned his head to look over at me and he grabbed my hand with his, pressing it against his cheek. Something was wrong.

"Look, there's no easy way to say this, okay? But something happened back there in the church. And we don't know what, we don't know why..." Brit spoke fast and I looked back at her. "Sam...Melissa...you're dying"

"What?" I narrowed my eyes at her, forcing a laugh.

"Shut up" Sam didnt believe her either.

My eyes went back to Dean and the look on his face...it wasnt a good one. No, it wasnt possible.

"Look, just because you're dying doesn't mean you're dead. Not yet, okay? We've jimmied ourselves out of worse. We're gonna fight this. I got the plan. You just got to hang on. You hear me?" Dean instructed and gave me hard eyes as he held tightly onto my hand.

"Absolutely" Sam laughed.

"You think we're lying?" he snapped his eyes to the rear view mirror.

"Pretty much, yeah"

"You understand that we're not really in this car right now. We are in your heads and you're both in a coma and are dying" Brit spoke slow.

"How could you possibly know that?" I eyed them both.

"Because we're you and you're you. This is all you. We're in your head!" she yelled at us.

Sam and I exchanged a look. "Which head?" we both asked.

"Both of yours. One of yours. Whichever helps you process all of this" she sighed.

"None of this is helping me process it, Brittney" I snapped.

"You're both serious? The whole reason I stopped doing the trials was not to die" Sam reminded.

"And the next time we see Naomi or Metatron or whoever is to blame for this, we will get some justice, but for right now, we got to fight this, man" Dean said, glancing between the both of us.

Sam and I exchanged another look. "Okay. All right, what's the plan?"

"I'm working on it"

"And what does that mean, exactly? Because apparently we're kind of dying here" I said, slouching in my seat and pulling my hand back away from him.

"It means I'm working on it, all right?" he snapped. I shot up onto my knees and faced him again.

"The thing is, Dean. If we're dying...and I believe you, I definitely do. It wouldnt surprise me..."

"Mel!" Brit interrupted my babble.

"If you're both you but you're really us and you're the part of us that wants to fight to live..." Sam continued for me.

"Yes. I have no idea what you just said, but continue" Dean urged.

"But if you don't have any idea how we're supposed to fight, then are we supposed to be fighting at all?" I wondered aloud.

"Are you serious?"

"Hell yes they're serious" another voice filled the air and my eyes snapped the back seat where Bobby was now separating Brit and Sam.

"And if you ask me, I think the kid's got a good point"

What the hell is going on? Of all the times we all died I don't remember this ever happening. Why should I question fighting to stay alive? Maybe at one point I would've loved to give up...and I would've considered how easy it would be...but now...?

Dean

"The MRI shows massive internal burns affecting many of the major organs. Oxygen to the brain has been severely deprived. The coma is the result of the body doing everything in its limited power to protect itself from further harm..."

I could hear everything the doctor was saying but none of it was making sense. This wasnt supposed to happen.

"If your brother continues on this trajectory, the machines might keep him alive, but..."

"He'll be dead" I said for him.

"Technically, yes. I'm afraid so"

"And what about..."

I couldnt even think about it...seeing her in the condition she's in isnt the way I wanted to rem-.... I shook myself out of it.

"Your wife is...not doing any better. We tended to her broken arm but it had already started to cause infection so she may need further surgery, possibly even amputation but honestly I'm not too sure her heart will be able to handle it. Her condition is the same as your brothers- oxygen levels are low, internal burns..."

"So, there's - there's no recovery? I mean, there's no bounce-back. There's no nothing? For either of them?"

"I'm afraid that's in God's hands now"

I scoffed and felt this sudden rage build up. "You're a doctor. You're a medical professional. You're trying to tell me that my brother's life is in God's hands? What, is that supposed to be a comfort?"

"Mr. Dougherty..."

"No, God has nothing to do with this equation at all"

"I didn't mean..."

"That's not good enough!"

I couldnt look at him anymore though. I wasnt sure what to do this time. I wasnt sure if there was a way out of this one...but that doesnt mean I can give up. Not on them.

I found myself passing the church chapel a couple times before actually walking in. I was itching in the discomfort that I felt in my stomach as I looked at all of the other people praying and wondering if someone would answer them. I saw Brit was one of those people, sitting in the back row and in the corner. As I slid in next to her I put on my game face. She didnt look at me though. She just slid closer and leaned against herself me like she was just tired of holding herself up. Her eyes were sad and her face was pale. She looked old.

"This is it, Dean..." she murmured but I didnt want to hear it.

I wasn't ready to hear it. So I carefully positioned herself off of me and I knelt down and folded my hands, imitating everyone else in the room. I could feel her watching me now as I took a deep breath.

"Cas, are you there? Sammy and Mel are hurt. They're hurt...pretty bad. And, um...I know you think that I'm pissed at you, okay? But I don't care that the angels fell. So whatever you did or didn't do, it doesn't matter, okay? We'll work it out. Please, man, I need you here..." I did my best to keep my voice steady but it was seriously hard.

"Dean..." Brit put a hand on my shoulder.

I shook my head when I opened my eyes and saw there was still no Cas. No, this isn't over...I refuse to let either of us fall to pieces...not yet...

"Screw it. Okay, listen up. This one goes out to any angel with their ears on. This is Dean Winchester...and I need your help...the deal is this-Linwood Memorial Hospital. Randolph, New York. The first one who can help me gets my help in return...and you know that ain't nothin'. Hell, it's no secret that we haven't always seen eye to eye. But you know that I am good for my word. And, uh...I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't needing, so...please..."

There...it was out there...now all we do now, I guess...is wait.

Mel

"Sam and Mel want to die, and you think they've got a point?" Brit exclaimed.

"Hey...we don't want to die. That's not what he meant..." I said gently, making eye contact with Sam and wondering if it was what he meant.

"No, I just asked if maybe we were supposed to..."

"Shut it, Sam" Dean ordered and snapped his eyes at Bobby. "You. Go. Oh, and, uh, before you throw me under the bus, you're welcome for the hell rescue"

"Hey, first of all, you didn't rescue jack, half-wit. Sam and Mel did. Second of all..." He looked to me and Sam. "You kids are in a coma. Now, suck as that may, sometimes that's just the way things go"

"What are you talking about? There's always a way. You taught us that" Brit reminded.

"Oh, you mean like the way one of you idjits does some "bass-ackwards" crazy thing to beat death, like sell your soul?"

"Exactly like selling my soul" Dean nodded.

"Yeah, like that worked so well the last time" But Dean just waved him off.

"Enough! Both of you! I can't hear myself think!" Sam snapped.

"Well, you're not actually buying this, are you?"

"Excuse me. Are you dead? Because I am, and maybe I'm here because I'm the part of Sam and Mel that actually knows what the hell they're talking about"

"Well, I'm in the front seat because Mel put me here because she wants to fight. Right?" his eyes startled me.

Then, in an instant Bobby was in the front too, separating me from Dean while Brit popped up front, into my seat and I realized I was now in the back with Sam. They all looked back at us.

"Well...that just got real uncomfortable. See ya, guys" Bobby said and reached for us.

"Mel, don't you dare..." Brit tried to stop us but it was too late.

Me, Sam and Bobby weren't in the car anymore. We were in some woods. "Yip, yip, yip, am I right?" Bobby sighed.

"Bobby...this can't possibly be right...I mean...to just stop fighting...?"

I couldnt even fathom the idea...but could he have a point? Was it time to just...stop...? He just gave me a gentle look.

"Lets walk" he gestured for us to follow and we did.

I mean...Bobby had to be here for a reason and if it was to tell me to curl up and die? I think I at least owe it to him to listen to what he has to say.

Brit

I walked Dean to Mel's room which was down the hall and around the corner from Sam's and I watched him fall to his knees at her bedside as he took her hand into his own and he began mumbling words that were inaudible for me to hear. I decided to give him some time with her and took advantage of the alone time I was going to have with Sam.

Seeing Sam laying in the bed so helpless was no easier than seeing Mel...but I think I was hoping to see him and feel that calming, safe sensation...like how I usually feel when I'm with him...but how is he supposed to make me feel safe when he's dying.... I know it's selfish of me to want him here to comfort me when he's the one that needs comforting but I havent had much Sam Time lately and I miss him and...it might be too late....

I wiped away my tears and walked over to the chair, pulling it over to his bedside. I took his hand and tried to warm it up.

"Hey, Sammy..." I sniffled. "So uhh I don't know if you can hear me but I really need you here, Sam...with me...with Dean...no telling what he'll do if you die on him again..." I tried to laugh but it just turned into a sob.

"You can't leave yet, Sam. I won't let you...who's going to listen to me ramble on about nothing and not judge me even once? You know how Mel can get...she can only take so much of my big mouth...and Dean's not much of a listener...who's going to love me the way you do..." I cried even harder. "Who else is there? Who else do I have..."

The tears wouldnt stop now. I felt my whole body shaking so I held onto Sam even tighter. If Sam and Mel check out...there's no way I'll be able to pull Dean through the pain...I'll barely be able to pull myself...

I heard the door begin to open so I quickly wiped away my tears and shook myself out of the intense feelings.

"Hey..." Dean voiced lightly as he came up behind me. "Come on, I have an idea" he took my hand and pulled me out of the room.

"Thanks, Doc but I got this one covered though" he said quickly as we passed a woman wearing a lab coat. I wasn't sure how he knew her but I didn't have time to ask.

He dragged me down into the parking garage and slammed his fist onto the trunk of the Impala. "Crowley, listen up, you son of a bitch. One for yes, two for no. You alive?" There was no response. "Come on, don't be a pouter"

There was a thump from inside the trunk. "There we go" he went to unlock the trunk but suddenly stopped. "Hey..."

"Yea?" My voice was almost unrecognizable.

"Dont give up on me yet" was all he said and the look he gave me was painful and filled with hope.

I keep saying I won't be able to pull Dean out of the slump if anything goes wrong...but honestly I think he'll be the one to get stuck trying to help me....

I just nodded and he forced a better smile but then panic filled his eyes as he lunged toward me as something grabbed me from behind, pulling me back and away from him. An arm wrapped around my neck and I felt a knife...an angel blade...press up against my throat.

"You prayed?" a voice chuckled.

I tried to break free of the grip but he had incredible strength...strength I didn't have at the moment....

"Yea, for help" I grunted.

"Yes. You'll be helping me" he said, slamming me against the hood of the trunk.

"Hey, take it easy!" Dean tried to get at him but he pressed the knife deeper into my neck, nicking my skin.

I felt some blood trickle down as Dean tensed up and I craned my neck to look up at them both.

"If you lie to me, Dean Winchester, I will cut her throat out very slowly. Where is Castiel?" he demanded.

"Who's asking?" I gasped out as he pressed my arms tighter against my back.

"Try every angel who was ejected from their home"

"Oh. Oh, well, in that case, I have no clue" he replied, sarcastically.

"Are you testing me?" he wondered, sliding the knife across my skin, making a longer cut.

"Okay, okay...just stop hurting her..." He was stalling. "I'm telling the truth. I don't know where he is!"

He was pleading now as the angel raised the blade above his head, preparing to impale me with it. Dean was getting ready to charge him if he made any other movements. I shut my eyes, not wanting to see my death before it happened.

"Easy there, brother" a different voice came from behind. I could feel the grip loosening. "This young man has prayed for our assistance. Are we creatures of wrath or compassion? I would argue the latter"

"Forgive me, brother. I don't recognize you"

"Happy to make your re-acquaintance. After you disarm"

He hesitated at first but then released me. Dean quickly grabbed my arm to pull me close to him and then he stepped in front, very protectively. I jumped when the angel that was holding me punched the other one.

"Come, now. Is that any way to treat a brother injured in the fall?"

Dean pulled me back as the two of them started going at it, throwing punches left and right. The angel blade fell to the ground and I dove for it right as my attacker was thrown into another car, breaking a glass window in the process. I quickly shot to my feet and stabbed him with the blade. I turned away as a blinding light flashed from his body and then I let him fall to the ground. Dean and I quickly spun to face the other angel.

"Who are you?" I demanded.

"Never mind me. You're Dean Winchester and Brittney Hails. I heard your prayer, and I am here to help" he breathed out and then fell to the ground, out cold.

Dean and I exchanged a look. "Okay..." we both voiced.

"What was that?" Dean wondered as he pulled out the oil and some matches.

"I dont know...angels must have..."

"No not that. I mean...it barely looked like you were putting up a fight"

"Excuse me? But who's the one actually killed the bastard while someone else got too scared to even move"

"What was I supposed to do, he had you..." he started but then groaned in frustration. "Look, we're not going to get anywhere fighting each other. Right now...we're all we have..." he murmured as he poured the oil out forming a circle around the passed out angel.

"We need to stick together if we're going to figure this thing out..." He added.

"But, Dean...what if we can't and...Sam and Mel really do..."

"Don't say it" he snapped without looking up at me. I didnt say another word.

He lit the oil and right as he did the angel started to wake up. He took in the fact that he was now trapped as he got to his feet.

"You want to help? Start with a name" Dean ordered.

"Ezekiel" he answered.

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "All right, Ezekiel. How do I know you're not hunting us or Castiel like the other angels?"

"Oh, I'm sure there are many angels who are. Many more are on their way here, most likely"

"How do you know that?"

"You put out an open prayer like that..."

"I must really be desperate"

"Believe it or not, some of us still do believe in our mission. And that means we believe in Castiel...and you" He eyed the both of us.

"You said you were hurt during the fall" I mentioned quietly.

"I was. Entangling with my brother back there did me no favors. But what strength I have left, I offer to you"

Dean

"You still able to cure things after the fall?" I asked, watching Ezekiel put a hand on my brother's chest.

I glanced back to see Brit was gone from the doorway and I assumed she went back to Mel's room. We needed to find something to work...anything at all....

"Yes, I should be, but...he's so weak...they both are..."

"You can sense Melissa too from here?"

"Yes, like I said, it's very weak but I can still feel her..." He shut his eyes and my phone started to ring.

"Who is this?" I answered.

"Dean"

I felt relief wash over me instantly as I walked out into the hallway. "Cas, what the hell's going on?" I sighed.

"Metatron tricked me. It wasn't angel trials. It was a spell. I wanted you to know that"

"Okay. That's great, but we've got ourselves a problem"

"What's wrong?"

"It's Sam...and Mel...they say they're dying" I felt like I couldnt breathe.

"What happened?" he asked, immediately concerned.

"I don't know. I mean, first they were okay, and then they werent. And I..." I looked around to make sure no one was listening. "Have you heard my prayers? I've been praying to you all night" I hissed.

"Dean...Metatron...he took my grace"

My eyes widened. "What?"

I couldnt believe it. How was he getting around? How were we going to meet up now? Who was going to be sure Mel and Sam make it through this...?

"Don't worry about me. What are you doing for Sam and Melissa?"

"Uh everything I can. There's actually another angel in there working on him right now"

"What other angel?" he asked right away.

"Um, his name is Ezekiel. He's cool. I mean, I think he is"

"Ezekiel. Yes. He's a good soldier. He should be able to help until I get there"

I narrowed my eyes at the phone. "Wait, no, no, no. No, hey, that's not an option"

"It might be a few days, but..."

"Hey, Cas, listen to me. There are angels out there, okay? And they're looking for you, and they're pissed"

"Not all of them, Dean. Some are just looking for direction. Some are just lost"

"What are you talking about?"

"I met one. I think I can help her, Dean"

"No, Cas, I know you want to help, okay? I do, but helping angels is what got you in trouble in the first place. Now, I'm begging you, for once, look out for yourself. Until we figure out what the hell is going on, trust nobody"

"And do what? Just abandon them all?"

"Damn it, Cas. You hearing yourself? There's a war on, and it's on you. There's thousands of them out there. You said you lost your grace, right? That means you're human. That means you bleed and you eat and you sleep and all the things you never had to worry about before"

"I'm fine, Dean..."

I went to argue with him but I noticed the floor beneath me started to shake. "Whoa..."

"What's going on?"

"I think we got more company. Look, get your ass to the bunker alone. You hear me?"

"Dean"

"Go, Cas!" I yelled and then hung up. "One of yours?" I wondered as I raced back into Sam's room.

"Trying to secure a vessel. We need to move"

"No, no. If we move him, he dies"

"If we stay, we could all die"

My eyes widened as I grabbed one of the white board markers and ran out into the hallway. I took off down the hallway and went to turn the corner but ran right into Brit.

"You okay?" I asked quickly.

"Yea, what's going on? Are they here?"

"They're coming, yea. Take this and draw every symbol up on the walls in Mel's room" I ordered, handing off the marker and watched her take off to the room. I turned to run back.

"Okay, as long as these are up, no angels are coming in. No one's coming out. You gonna be okay with these?" I said fast as I quickly put up every symbol in the book.

I hope Brit was fast enough...I hope they're okay.... "I'll manage" he said but then winced in pain.

"What?"

"They're here" Damn it.

"Okay. Do not open this door for anybody but me. Save him, you hear me?" I said and then ran out of the room.

I raced down the hall, looking for an alarm to pull. But then the sirens started to go and lights started flashing as walls were crumbling around us. I saw Brit up ahead had already pulled it.

"Everybody out! Now!" she barked. Always a step ahead....

I charged at her and tackled her to the floor as I covered her head while glass shattered everywhere. Her body was shaking but I think it was from the shock...and the piece of glass that sliced her arm, causing a big gash with blood gushing out. I acted fast, ripping my sleeve off my shirt and wrapping her arm in the cloth to slow the bleeding.

"I'm fine..." I ignored her and quickly inspected her for other scrapes. "Dean, I'm fine" she put a hand on my shoulder to push me away a little.

Then she nodded to something behind me so I turned and saw the doctor who tried to convince me to take grief counseling. I looked back at Brit to see her nodding to I got to the doctor's side and helped her up.

"Hey. You got to get out of here. Come on..."

"Dean!" Brit yelled and I saw some dude in overalls heading our way carrying an angel blade.

"Stay behind me" I got in front of them both, trying to come up with a plan.

But then I felt a big weight fall on the back of my neck knocking me to the ground. My vision blurred for a split second and then I felt someone grab my throat, lifting me off the ground. It was the damn doctor. Shouldve listened to my own advice...dont trust anyone....

Mel

"I want to fight. I do. But I just feel like..."

"Like you got nothing to swing at? Like you're punching at shadows? You got to let go of fightin' and scratchin' and lookin' for loopholes, 'cause that ain't happenin'"

"So what? We just die?" I snapped, narrowing my eyes at the two of them. We were really considering that as an option?

"Just die? All the good you've done, all the people you've saved, all the sacrifices you've made? You've saved the world, kids. How many people can say that? How many people can say that they have left this godforsaken hunk of dirt that much a better place? What you call dyin' I call leavin' a legacy"

He continued leading us through the woods and we followed. "Mel...he has a point..."

I looked up at Sam curiously. "I know...it's just...are we really done? I mean...is there nothing left for us to..." I stopped short. I didnt want to make him feel guilty. If he was done...really done...it was his choice...but was it mine?

"I'm just seriously tired, Mel" he sighed. He looked it.

"There it is" Bobby voiced and we all stopped walking when a cabin came into view.

"Everything inside you need to help you on your way. Go on, kids. I'll be waiting for you with a couple of cold ones..." he started but then I jumped when a knife stabbed right through Bobby's body and he fell to the ground.

"Sorry, old man" Dean apologized.

"Are you insane?!" Sam yelled.

"Come on, Sammy. Bobby was the part of you two that wants to die. I know it stings, but he had to go" Brit reasoned but he couldnt even look at her.

"No. You have to go. When are you gonna realize it's over?! There's nothing to fight for!" he pleaded with them.

"Funny...I thought Mel would be the one to tell me that in the end because I know you don't believe that"

"Really? Then what's your plan, Dean?"

"My plan?" he questioned and then punched Sam square in the fist. "My plan is to fight!" he punched him again. "My plan is to try! My plan is to give a damn!" Again.

Then, I looked at Brit who wound up her arm and flew it at me. I side stepped but she tripped me and I fell back onto the ground.

"Why are you hitting me?!"

She crouched down to my level. "Because you may not be saying everything Sam is saying but that doesnt mean you're not thinking it..."

"I'm not..."

"Considering it? Yeah, you are. You forget I'm in your head, Mel. I know what you're thinking"

"But...what if he's right. What if there's nothing left...?"

Before I could finished she jabbed her fist at my face. I fell onto my back and then didnt move. But, it was the weird sensation I got after she hit me that made me rethink everything. I didnt feel a thing...no pain...and I also kind of liked not feeling....

Brit was hovering over me and she grabbed my collar to lift me to my feet. "Are you really telling me there's nothing? You're telling me there's nothing left to fight for, that there's nothing to hope for?!" she cried to me.

I grabbed hold of her fist and made her let go. "No. I'm telling you there is. You guys might not like it. You might not accept it, but it's in there. It's in that house"

I didnt know I felt this way...for so long I tried to get back on my feet and convince myself to keep fighting for a better future...but maybe I was wrong...maybe it was time to call it quits...because quite honestly this is getting a bit redundant...I wanted it to just be over....

"You know what's in that house! Now, we can't help you if you ain't willing to fight for yourselves!" Dean shot teary eyes at me.

"I know...but it's okay" I grabbed Brit's hand to hold it tight and exchanged a look with Sam.

He nodded. "It's what we want..." he murmured, pulling away from Dean.

I got Brit to look me in the eye and I cupped her cheek, wiping away her tears. They werent real...they were in our heads...so what they looked like they were feeling was just our minds painting a picture of their reactions. Yet, I still couldnt bring myself to look over at Dean as both him and Brit vanished into the air like mist. I took a deep breath and then Sam took my hand securely as we made our way toward the cabin.

Sam slowly opened the door and we both entered the cabin very cautiously. I saw someone standing in all black with his back turned to us as he stood over by the fire place.

"Hello, Sam. Melissa. I've been waiting for you two"

Death himself had come to greet us and enroll us in the after life...I should feel honored...but really I was just anxious, scared shitless and still a bit doubtful....

Brit

My nose felt broken and my cheek bone felt cracked. "Let me make this easy: tell me where Castiel is, or your brother and sister are gonna wish they were dead" the woman angel threatened.

"Yeah, good luck getting past the warding" Dean grunted at her.

"But we will" The other one broke some glass to grab the cased fire axe. "And when we do, I'm gonna strip off all their skin, and you're both gonna watch"

I sucked in a breath. "Bite me" I spat at her.

That earned me another punch to my jaw. Dislocated. I forced myself to laugh through the pain though because Dean was watching me with those friggin sad eyes and I just couldnt take it anymore.

"Anybody ever tell you you hit like an angel?" I smirked.

"Brittney" Dean scolded but she kicked me right in the stomach, making me cough up some blood.

Pain? This was nothing compared to everything else we've been through...compared to what Mel and Sam must be going through.... Sure, it hurt a little. But I was at the point of being numb. I just wanted to feel...

The other angel started to throw the axe toward Sam's room while she kept kicking the shit out of Dean. I took advantage of her distraction. When he was almost unrecognizable she turned to face me again.

"Okay, wait, wait, wait, wait. I'll tell you where Cas is..." Dean sighed.

"I just have one question" I spoke up.

"Ask" she nodded.

"If Heaven is locked, then where do you go when I do this?" I smiled, slamming my hand down on the blood sigil I made behind my back. We both shut our eyes as a blinding light took both of them.

I quickly got to my feet and then struggled to help Dean stand as well while I guided him back into the room. Ezekiel was sitting beside Sam but was slumped over in his chair.

"What the hell's happening?" Dean asked.

"This just started...and the warding...I'm afraid I'm weaker than I thought" he breathed heavily.

I grabbed the marker and started crossing out the sigils. "I am sorry, Dean and Brittney"

"No. No, no, no. No, we had a deal, okay? I fight. You save" Dean reminded.

"And I would do that if I could. I'm just afraid it's too late"

"Are you kidding me? Are you saying there's no way to save my brother's life?"

"Neither of them...I have been trying for both of them but...no good ways, I'm afraid..."

"Well...what are the bad ones?" I voiced.

I felt completely helpless now. He stared at me for a long moment. "We're out of options here, man. Good or bad, let us hear them" Dean encouraged.

"I cannot promise, but there is a chance I can fix your brother from the inside"

"From the inside. So, what, you gonna open him up?" I asked and furrowed my eyebrows but he just shook his head.

"What, possession? You want to possess Sam?"

"I told you..."

"No way. Absolutely not"

"Understood. It's your call" he nodded to me.

"No, it's Sam's call. There's no way in hell he'd say yes to being possessed by anything"

"And the girl?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No way. You think Sam would be hard getting into...?"

"They would rather die" he acknowledged the fact. "I'll leave you all alone, then" he stood to head for the door.

"I should go check on Mel anyway...make sure..." I murmured.

"Wait" Dean suddenly said. "If I consider this...and I mean just consider it...I need something, man. You got to prove to me how bad he is" he said.

My eyes widened at him. "Dean, you can't possibly be..."

"Just shut up for a second, Brit" he ordered me and then looked to Ezekiel nodding.

"Close your eyes" he hummed, putting a hand on Dean's head.

Mel

"I must admit, when I heard it was you...both of you...well, I had to come myself"

I got chills the way Death smiled at us. "I bet you get off on this" Sam said.

"Perhaps. But not in the way you assume. I consider it to be quite the honor to be collecting the likes of Sam Winchester and Melissa Stern. I try so hard not to pass judgment at times like this, not my bag, you see, but you...well played, kids"

"I...I need to know something first" My voice wavered like a small child afraid to go down the slide.

"Yes" he nodded at me.

"If...we go with you...can you promise that...this time will be final? That if we're dead...then we stay dead. Nobody can reverse it, nobody can deal it away...and nobody else can get hurt because of us..."

I looked up to Sam as he nodded encouragingly to me wanting to know the same exact thing.

"I can promise that" he nodded. I took a deep breath. This was it...this was really it....

Brit

"What the hell are you guys doing?" Dean hissed under his breath.

"What? What did you see?" I asked quickly.

He looked at me. "They're running out of time. They're talking with Death"

"As in..."

"Yea. Him. Damn it!"

I thought I was going to throw up. "How will it work? Will you be able to save them both?" Dean asked Ezekiel.

"Yes. If I were to possess Sam then while I heal him I also heal myself and Melissa as well...it will work like a weapon possession"

Just talking about weapon possession made me sick especially since it didnt end too well last time.... No, that's not good enough...it can't be good enough....

"And when they're healed?"

I snapped my eyes at Dean. Seriously?!

"Then I leave. It's the best of a bad situation, Dean"

"Even if we said yes to this, it doesn't mean squat. Sam and Mel will never say yes..." I reasoned.

"Not to me...but they will say yes to you"

I looked at Dean who was really thinking about it now. "No...no, it isnt right. We cant..."

"Brittney. Sam and Melissa are going to literally die. Death himself is there right now, ready to take them at any second...if we can save them...dont you want to..."

Honestly...I dont know.... We're always on this vicious cycle...there has to be an end to it....

Mel

"It's time, Sam. Melissa. Shall we?" Death getsured for us to follow him through the back door.

I found myself taking a step forward until a sudden surge of energy went through me.

"Hold on"

I turned quickly to face him. "Dean" I breathed out.

This Dean was different...he didnt seem so much in my head anymore...somehow...I knew he would find a way to me...he's not giving us up without a fight...and secretly I was hoping Brittney was there to fight for us along side him....

"It's okay, guys...I uhh would have brought cronuts, but time is short, so..." he apologized to Death.

"By all means" Death sat back down in his chair.

"What's going on, Dean?" I asked lightly.

"I found a plan"

"It's too late. We're going" Sam told him.

"No, no, no, no. Listen to me"

"Why are you even here? I'm not fighting this anymore!" Sam cried to his big brother.

He really wanted to be done...he really wanted out.... "You have to fight this! I can fix this, okay? But not if you shut me out" he pleaded and his eyes met mine and then Death's. "It's not they're time"

"That's for Sam and Melissa to decide"

"Sam, Mel...just listen to me, okay? Brit and I made you two a promise in that church. The four of us...together...come whatever. Well, hell, if this aint whatever...you gotta let me in though. You got to let me help. There ain't no me if there ain't no any you"

The pain was all over his face. Pain I was so sure I didnt want to experience anymore...but maybe I actually kind of miss the pain...along with every other feeling...I wasnt ready to give it up yet...I wasnt ready to give up at all....

"But if it really is the four of us...then where's..." I started.

"I'm right here, Mel" Brit came walking in. Her face looked sad too. She came.

"Mel...Sammy...you guys have to keep fighting...you can't just leave...just like that...and especially when you'd be leaving me with him..."

I forced a smile, wanting nothing more than to just run to her and never let her go. "I still need you...both of you..."

"So what do we do?" Sam spoke up.

I smiled up at him through my tears. He changed his mind! If anyone could do it...she could....

"Is that a yes?" Dean asked cautiously. I watched him look back at Death and then back at his brother. Say yes....

"Yes" he nodded and I grinned.

"Yes!" I cheered, racing to Brittney as she wrapped her arms around me and there was this white light coming through the doors and the windows. It wasnt over...not yet....

Brit

We high tailed it out of the hospital and started making our way down the street.

"So? How's it look in there?" Dean asked Ezekiel who was now occupying Sam's body.

I eyed Melissa as she walked beside me in even paces but her face was expressionless and her eyes were dark pools of literally nothing. She was just a puppet.

"Not good. There is much work to be done"

It was Sam's body and his voice...but in a more stiff and uptight manner that really irritated me.

"Yeah, but they're gonna wake up, right?" I asked.

"They will" he nodded.

"So...what? Does it...will they feel you inside doing operation on their parts?" Dean asked.

"No, they will not feel me. There is no reason for Sam or Melissa to know I'm in here at all"

"You're joking, right? We can't just not tell them. It's too big" I said.

"And what will Sam do if you do tell him he is possessed by an angel?"

"Well, he'll have to understand" Dean said.

"And if he does not? Without his acceptance, Sam can eject me at any time, especially with me so weak. And if Sam does eject me, he will die and so will Melissa"

I looked to Dean for a reasonable solution...but I was wrong to do so.

"Then we keep it a secret for now. Or until Sam and Mel are well enough that they don't need an angelic pacemaker or I find a way to tell them"

"But as for them being in a hospital, we'll have to figure something out" I reminded him.

"I can erase it all, if you like. They will not remember any of this"

I dont like that he can control things like that...I dont like any of this one bit....

~

"I dont like this...I dont like any of this one bit..." I hissed at Dean as night fell while he put a lot of miles between us and that damn place.

I glanced back at Mel and Sam sleeping soundly in he back seat. "Yea, I know you dont, Brit. You've only said it 12 times" I glared at him. "Look..."

A yawn interrupted him...and it didnt come from me. "Where are we?" Sam wondered while Mel scratched the back of her head.

"Sammy? Mel?"

"What?" he asked.

"Where are we going?" Mel yawned again, attempting to sit forward.

"Hey, hey, take it easy...how are you guys feeling?" I asked.

"Tired" Sam answered.

"Sore" Mel made a face.

"Like I slept for a week" Sam added and Mel nodded in agreement.

"Well, try a day. You've both been out since the sky was spittin' angels" Dean told them. I had to bite my tongue from just blurting out and ruining the whole plan.

"What the hell happened?" Mel asked.

"What do you remember?" I asked cautiously.

"The church, feeling like crap..."

"The angels falling, and that's it..."

"But you're feeling good?" Dean wondered.

Mel leaned forward to put her face right next to his. He tensed up. "You've been driving around with us passed out in the back seat for a day?" she asked.

"Oh, I mean, I stopped, you know, let a few Japanese tourists take some pictures. Nobody got too handsy. I knew you'd pull through. I meant what I said at the church. You guys are capable of anything and hell if you didn't prove me right" he forced a smile and she hesitated for a second before smiling back.

Her eyes met mine and I stiffened as well even as she smiled. "Well, good! Cause we got work to do" she winked at me.

"She's right" Sam added, more absently as he stared out the window.

Dean and I exchanged a look. They have no idea...about any of it...no idea at all.... This couldnt possibly end well....
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not too sure who is still reading this story but I figured i'd post a new chapter to find out. if you want to read more, I have A LOT more chapters posted on my wattpad account, just look up the title of the story and it'll be there waiting :)