Status: Hiatus

Things They Don't See

Torture Chamber

"WHY?" I whine to my dad, "Why do I have to go on this fucking trip with her?!"
"You don't even try to get to know her or give her a chance, Abby," my dad retorts with an exasperated voice.
"Because she's the biggest bitch in the world, thinking she can just come into my life, our lives, and be my mom!" I yell at him.
"IT'S NOT YOUR CHOICE, ABBY! I LOVE HER. THAT'S WHAT MATTERS," he yells into my face. I know he can't stand the constant fights we have about Annie, his new wife, anymore.
"Well, then I guess I never mattered to you at all. You shouldn't have ever held me when I was born," I throw one of the biggest insults into his face. Then, I run up the stairs, rush to my bedroom, and lock the door behind him. I hear him stomping up the stairs. Then he yells, "OPEN THIS GOD-DAMNED DOOR! RIGHT NOW!"
"NO!!!" I scream.
"Come on, Abby. You know I didn't mean to say it that-"
"But, you did."
"No, I didn't mean it."
"You did, Dad," I say painfully from the other side of the door as a tear slides down my face.
"Ab-"
"Go away. I need to pack my things."
"Abby-"
"I SAID GO AWAY!" I scream at the top of my lungs.
I wait and listen as I hear his softened footsteps drag away.

---------------------------------

Our silent car ride together was just another sign of the tension we had both created between each other. When I stepped out of the car to meet Annie at the door of the airport, my dad told me, "Please know that I love you, Abby. You will always be my daughter." "I love you, too, dad," I said with my back turned to him, hiding my face and tears. The airport workers put my bags on the outdoor scale and scanned my ticket. I was on my way.
I met Annie at the security gate. She had a big smile on her face and leaned in a bit to give me a hug, but I denied it by turning away. Her smile faltered for a moment before going full again. We passed through security in silence. She asked me if I wanted anything before getting on the flight, but I declined. We sat at the gate in silence for about an hour before we were asked to board. My dad had bought us first class tickets to assure that we'd have "the best time possible" on the flight.
I sat next to Annie in silence once more before she finally said, "I know you hate me." I turn to look at her and say, "I don't hate you. I hate that you took my dad away from me. He's all I had especially after Sammy broke up with me." Her face turns a crimson red. "Look, Abby. I'm sorry. I know I've rushed into your life, but I want to get to know you-"
"Why didn't you try that when you first met me," I grumble.
"I'm sorry. I was caught up with your dad," she says.
"Look, I don't want to hear it," I shove words at her, "I don't want to hear it."
The rest of the two hour plane ride is filled with silence between us. I keep my headphones in except when the flight attends come by and ask if I want anything.
When the plane lands, I look out at Philadelphia International Airport tarmac. Now, I have to deal with a one to two hour ride with Annie. We picked up our luggage at the luggage terminal and found our chauffeur. He took our luggage cart out to the escalade that we're going to ride in to Gettysburg. Thankfully, our driver has the radio on, so the silence isn't obvious. The driver, Philippe, asks Annie about why we're visiting Gettysburg. She starts going on and on about the books she's going to begin writing and about how Gettysburg fits into it.
We finally arrive at our destination after two and a half hours of listening to Annie torture our driver by going on and on about her stupid book that she's going to be writing. I thank Philippe when he drops our stuff off in the lobby. The owner stands at the front desk with a smile that even makes me smile on her face. "Welcome to the Andrew Phippen Inn. I'm Amelia, the owner," she says in a happy, serene voice. "Hi, thank you," I smile back at her and shake her hand. "This is Mia," she looks to the girl next to her, "she will be signing you in." "Thank you," I say.
"Hey, Abby, can you sign us in. I really have to use the restroom," Annie rushed by me to the bathroom.
"Sure..."
I turned to Mia and began our check-in.

---------------------------

Our room looks amazing. I'm so happy my dad booked this one. It has two bedrooms - each having its own bathroom - a parlor, and a mini kitchenette. The less time I have to spend with Annie the better. Annie gives me first choice of bedrooms. I take the one that has windows overlooking the garden. While I'm unpacking my things, Annie comes in and tells me that she's going to tour the inn and the grounds around it. Once she leaves, I finally begin filling my draws. When I come out of the bathroom after placing my toiletries in there, I hear a knock on the parlor room door. I walk over, open the door, and see an attractive boy around my age in ancient clothing standing in front of me.
"Excuse me? Who are you?" I ask nervously. He looks me in the eyes and walks away with a glimmer of a smile on his face. I watch him walk down the hallway and turn left towards the stairwell. I close the door and take in the handsome boy who just walked away from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's the first chapter in my new short story. Tell me what you think. By the way, the Andrew Phippen Inn does not exist, but I love Gettysburg. I really wanted to include it in this new short story.