Status: Hiatus

Things They Don't See

My Secret Garden

The next day I awake to the smell of roses. I left the window open, and the smell of roses in the garden must have wafted up during the night. I glance over at the window sill and see one lone rose sitting on it. I don't think that was there when we arrived. I pull back my blankets and quilt, get up, and walk over. I notice that the thorns are cut off. It looks beautiful, a brilliant bright red. I walk out of my room and knock on Annie's door. She answers the door with a smile on her face, "Morning sunshine." "Hey, did you leave me the rose in my room or did I just not notice it when we arrived?" I ask her. "You must not have seen it because I looked at the garden but didn't pick any," she answers sweetly. "Oh, okay," I start walking away.
"Abby..."
"Yeah."
"I'm sorry. You can go home you know, but I just wanted to get to know you. Your father thought you were ready to finally talk to me. I know you're miserable here with me. I'm sorry."
Her apology hits me hard. I feel bad for her. It's not her fault that my mom died.
"I like it here, though. I mean it's not as bad as I thought it would be," I shrug my shoulders, not daring to tell her about yesterday.
A little relief washes over her. I don't think she wanted me to see it. "Great," she smiles, "I'm going for a little get together with a historian today, so if you want to go anywhere, I'll leave you money for a cab and to buy things."
"Oh, thanks. That sounds great. Have fun," I say before I walk back to my room, feeling a little surprised at how nice we were to each other. I hear the main room's door open and close. I put the flower down near the window, then I headed to the shower. By mid-shower, the smell of fragrant roses fill the room. I shut the valve off, wrap my towel around myself, and step out into my bedroom.
On the window sill, I see five bright red roses. I almost jump at the sight. How could that be possible? "Hello?" I call out. No one answers. I dry myself off and dress quickly. After slipping on my sandals, I walk into the parlor (living area) and pick up the brochure of the Inn. "We have a magnificent garden filled with many flowers, fruit and vegetable plants, and our marvelous rose garden," reads the brochure. Rose garden? My curiosity have been captured.

------------------------------------

I take my room keys with me when I walk out to the garden that my room overlooks. The door at the bottom of the stairs opens up to the garden. "Wow," I say to myself. The sight is amazing. Flowers, fruits, and veggies are EVERYWHERE. It smells amazing. I love it. It's beautiful. I start walking through the garden paths. Every flower I can think of is there. Every fruit and vegetable. Then, it hits me. The smell of roses. The rose garden. The minute I see it I'm amazed.
Pinks, reds, plums, oranges, whites. Every color I can think of. I go over and smell them. So good. The smell hits me. The smell of my special roses. I see them. A bright, vibrant red. They gleam in the sunlight. "I'm glad you like them," I startle as I hear the male voice behind me. I spin around quickly on my heels. It's him. The boy. His voice. He walks away into the garden before I can say anything back. I'm too stunned to say anything back. I sit in front of the roses and just stare out towards where he walked.
I sit there for quite a while before I look up at the windows of the Inn and spot my room. In the window, I see a bouquet of roses in a vase. Nuh-uh. It can't possibly be... I make a run for the door and run up to my room. I swing the door open and run to my bedroom, and there it is. The vase holding the bouquet of flowers. Next to it, there's a note. It reads:
Beautiful one, Abby,
Please don't be afraid of me. These are for you. It's a custom in my family to give a girl one of us boys are attracted to roses. The bright red ones. I hope to see you again soon. I hope not to startle you next time.
Sincerely,
You secret admirer

"I need to get out for a little bit," I say, freaked out a bit.

------------------------------------

The cab driver drops me off in downtown Gettysburg. There are so many shops and opportunities to go on tours. There's tons of touristy items and ghost walk tour opportunities. I think I might like this place. I start walking around and find a nice diner, Ruby's Diner. It looks so inviting, and my belly is crying for food.
When I walk inside, a friendly voice greets me, "Come on in, darling. Sit down anywhere ya' like." "Thank you," I look up at the older woman, who must be in her late 50s. A genuine smile is plastered on her face. I sit a a table near the front windows.
A young waitress, probably in her late teens/early 20s, brings over my menu and takes my drink order. I order a strawberry milkshake. I haven't had one in so long. When she comes back with my milkshake, I'm ready to order. "What would you like?" she asks sweetly. "Uhm...cinnamon raisin toast with butter and a side of bacon, please," I order. "Alrighty, it'll be out in a few," she says.
When it comes out, the older woman tells me to enjoy it. And, dear god, I do. It's so good. Homemade cinnamon raisin toast. And delicious bacon. I'm definitely coming back to this place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that this is a short chapter, but here you go. :)