Status: Hiatus

Things They Don't See

Beautiful Life, Beautiful Soul

I've never been scared of ghosts, not even when I was little. At my first home, we had a resident ghost. The ghost protected me and just did its own thing too. My mom, dad, and I figured out that it was a woman, who had lived in house in the 1800s. She apparently died peacefully in her sleep, but she loved the house so much that her soul stayed. I guess that's why I'm not afraid of Eli. He is a beautiful soul just like the resident ghost at my first home before my dad had us move to Cabor (Cay-bor) Cove, the lovely neighborhood I live in now. I miss her. She kept the house full. It never felt empty with her calm and loving presence there. Maybe Eli fills that hole. Maybe he's what I've been looking for. I know he can't fill the hole that was left after my mother was killed, but maybe he could be the little bit of patching that is still needed to heal over the wound, even if it creates a scar to show what my heart has been through, what it has survived, what I have survived.

-------------------------------------

I toss and turn for quite a while. I can't seem to just get a good sleep. "LET ME SLEEP," I groan into the air. The room starts smelling of lavender. I can't help but relax. "Sleep," a voice emanates through my room. I have no idea where it came from, but it sounds like Eli. "Eli?" I whisper. "Sleep, Abby," the voice says again. It's definitely Eli's voice calming me. "Sleep." I feel warmth overcome my body, and I feel the tranquility in the room. The temperature is just right, and I'm not scared of what is happening at the moment. I'm tired, I trust him, and I feel comfortable. "Just fall right asleep, sweetheart. I'm right here with you," he says. Where are you, Eli? I think to myself. "I'm sitting next to you. I am going to relieve your exhaustion for you. You must sleep though, Abby," he reads my thoughts once more.
Okay. I'll sleep, but please protect Annie and me. She needs a little protection.
"Don't worry. I have been protecting you both. You know that rose you found in the local blacksmiths shop? That was me. I stay with you in one way or another. I'm always shielding you from the harm that may come. Now, let your eyes close, and let your mind relax as well as your body. I'm here, always, sweetheart."

-------------------------------------

I wake up to the smell of lavender and the sound of birds chirping. I lay in bed and look up at the ceiling. The sun is shining through the window. The day is bright and serene, for now at least. I lay in my blankets and the lavender-scented air, remembering what Eli had done for me last night and what he had said to me. I think I might be developing some feelings for him. Wait, what? You're crazy. Other people can't even see him. How am I falling for a guy who isn't fully opaque and breathing anymore? Dear god. I don't even know what is happening with my life anymore. I get after about thirty minutes of pondering my life and my choices within my life.

The bathroom smells of lavender, too. Was Eli in here, too? I turn on the sink and begin washing my face with my grapefruit-scented face bar, splash my face clean, and dry it before I brush my teeth. The minty smell and taste jolt my mouth to life for today. When I step back into my room, I see lavender sprigs next to my bed on the nightstand. Did he put that there just now or did he put that there last night as he was pleading with me to sleep. Surprisingly, I woke extremely amenable. I had no tension in my system. Eli really knows how to help me. I wonder why. Was he taught how to heal people of their stress like in those reiki masters my mom used to go to?

I strip to my bare-naked skin and search through my drawers and armoire for the clothes I'll wear today. Just as I'm pulling a pair a lace panties out of the top drawer, I remember what Eli said. He's always watching over me. Oh god, he must see me naked right now. Only my ex has seen me naked, and he kind of forced me to let him see me naked. I didn't want to lose my virginity when I did. He kind of ruined the moment for me by forcing me to do it. I was too scared to say no. I didn't want to lose the only boyfriend I'd ever had. Now I have no choice if Eli sees me naked or not, unless he gives me these private moments-moments where he doesn't watch. I slip my panties and matching bra on. I find a nice, light top and colored shorts for today.

I wonder what Eli will be wearing today when I see him. He borrowed a guests clothes yesterday. Will he elevate to borrowing clothes from a store? Or will he somehow, some way buy them? Who knows. I go into the bathroom again to put on my makeup. When I finish with that, I go downstairs to the Inn's dining room for brunch, since I'm definitely to late for breakfast. All they have left are blueberry and strawberry pancakes with real Canadian maple syrup, not the fake stuff. I bring the food back to my room. "If you're hungry, Eli, I have four pancakes and real Canadian maple syrup. If you want it, you have to come and get it," I talk loudly to what seems to be empty air. "I can't eat all of this, so you can stop by and eat with me, so I won't be lonely...please."

I sit down at the table in the parlor and begin eating my pancakes, one blueberry and one strawberry, with the syrup drizzled over it. "Hello," a voice says into my ear, making me jump and a shiver go down my spine. "Sorry, I, I, uh," I turn around to Eli, who is stuttering. "Hi," I say to him. I look him up and down. he's wearing a striped blue and white v-neck with a pair of perfectly-fitting jeans. His transparent body looks delectable. "Want pancakes?" I ask. He gladly accepts.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry that this is a bit short. It's taking me a bit to get back into the writing mode. Hope your enjoy this chapter. Questions, emotions, and comments are welcome.