Status: Will be regularly updated now that I'm back to my boring and mundane daily activities .__.

I Know The Way You've Been Living

"You... Seemed Happy?"

It has been two days after the whole Brian debacle, he’s still in the intensive care unit and thankfully he’s been making great progress. As for me, my life has been really hectic. School’s been shit and its like one assignment after another, so I’m literally drowning in my work.

Zacky picked me up today, he looked a lot shittier then he usually does. He has been staying with Brian in the hospital for a whole 24 hours yesterday; Jimmy took over his place for today. I felt bad for Zacky but as always, he insisted on picking me up.

“You okay Zack? I told you I could take the bus home”

“Nah it’s fine, how’s school?” He shot me a tired smile

“School’s school, tons of work and shit. I hate being a senior” I rolled my eyes

“Never had that problem before” He laughed at his comment

“Yeah of course, you’re a friggin’ rock star” I poked his arm

“How’s the college thing going? Got any news yet?”

“Nah, hopefully I’ll get them within this week… That is, if I got accepted”

“Only an idiot would turn down a student like you, you’re like crazy insanely smart Mel” He poked me back

After that last conversation, the ride home was silent. Zacky dropped me off at home and he went straight to his, saying that he desperately need some sleep. I got home greeted with emptiness, mom was still at work and for once, the guys were at their own place.

I was looking for the key when I notice there are two envelopes on the doormat. I bent down and picked up the two envelopes. My heart almost exploded when I saw that it was a package from NYU and Yale. I rushed inside the house and ran straight to my room.

I sat still on the edge of my bed with the two envelopes on my lap. I gently open the lid of my Yale envelope and took out the papers inside it and began to read the letter.

Dear Ms. Melanie Baker,

We are delighted to offer you a place in the Faculty of Law beginning in the fall of 2013-2014 academic year. This offer is a recognition by the Faculty of your accomplishments and, especially, of your promise as a scholar.


I got accepted at Yale.

As thrilled as I am about that opportunity, I have no idea what to feel. In one side I’m terribly honored, but in another, I don’t want to go to Yale. I held my NYU envelope and closed my eyes.

This is it; this could determine my future, whether I’ll be a Yale-graduate lawyer or a journalist graduating from NYU.

I opened the lid of the NYU envelope and read the papers inside.

Dear Melanie,

Congratulations! I am very pleased to inform you that you have been accepted for admission to the College of Arts and Science of New York University for Fall 2013. The University shares my enthusiasm for your acceptance, and joins me in commending you and your fine academic record.


I stopped reading when I saw the “Congratulations!” on the beginning of the letter. I was squealing and jumping up and down; I’m so excited I got into NYU early admission.

There’s only one thing though… I have to break this news to my mom.

***


“Hey, what’s the matter?” Blake slide his way in after I opened the door, I called him earlier to come here ASAP.

“I have BIG news” I smiled widely

“O…Okay… What’s it about?”

“Sit down, I’ll be right back”

Blake sat down on the couch and I ran upstairs to get the two envelopes. I’m so excited to tell Blake about New York, I hope he would react well to the news that I’ll be moving all the way across the country.

I ran back down and threw myself onto the couch

“What’s with you today?” He laughed, “you seemed so… happy?”

“Look what I got!” I waved the two envelopes in front of him, and he knew right away that I got accepted to both universities.

“Oh my God Melanie! Congratulations!” He stood up and pulled me into a tight hug, he grabbed my face and kissed me.

“That’s amazing news Melanie, I’m so proud of you” He gave me a wide smile, “so have you decided when to tell your mom?”

“Probably tonight, the sooner the better right” I laughed nervously, I’m still trying to think of a way to tell my mom without disappointing her.

“Well, I’m sure if she loves you she’ll understand” He smiled and planted a soft kiss

“Wait, what about you? You’re fine with me going to New York?”

“Of course! It’s your passion; it’s what you wanted. I’m not going to stand in the way of something that you want to do, you have my full support Mel, don’t you worry”

“Awh! Blake you’re the best, seriously, I don’t think there’s anybody out there like you. You’re perfect” I smiled, “have you got letters back from any universities you applied to?” I tried moving on with the subject

“I didn’t actually apply to any university, it’s too expensive and all… But I got an opportunity to work for AP Magazine when I graduate”

“Oh my God! Really? That’s amazing! Is it a fixed job?”

“Yeah, only if I can pull off this project I’m making, if they think it’s great then I’ll be getting that job for sure” He smiled widely

“What’s this project you’re working on?” I got curious, he hasn’t mentioned this to me before

“It’s a secret” He winked, “you’ll know when its time”

***


“Melanie honey, I’m home!” I heard my mom called from downstairs; I took a deep breath and ran downstairs

“Hi mom, you got a minute?” I leaned towards the kitchen counter; she took off her jacket and took off her Louboutin heels.

“Sure honey, what’s up?”

“The letter came by today” I smiled, “I got accepted to Yale mom”

“Oh my God honey that’s amazing! Oh I’m so proud of you Melanie… Ah! We need to have a celebration, we should invite all our friends, Blake and Zacky and the guys… Also we have to invite the girls as well-“

I cut my mom off before she trailed off even further to break her the heartbreaking news.

“Mom, sit down please? I have something else to show you” I took her hand and lead her to the couch

“What’s it about honey? Did something happen?”

“Uh... I also got accepted to NYU” I sighed, “honestly mom, I don’t really want to go to Yale. I don’t wanna be a lawyer, I wanna be a journalist” I smiled and continued, “and NYU has this amazing Journalism program, they have all this great internships that I got to take, I was thinking about taking up fashion or music journalism, so I was aiming to take part in the Rolling Stones magazine or Teen Vogue–“

I stopped when I saw my mom’s face was flat, her smile was gone and she was staring at me as if I just told her that I was pregnant.

“Mom? Are you okay?” I asked carefully. THIS is exactly what I was damn scared of.

“When did you apply for NYU?”

“Two days after I submit my Yale application… Mom, are you mad at me?”

We talked about how I think being a lawyer would make me extremely unhappy, at first she was upset, she can’t even look at me. But then after I explained to her how important this is for me, she finally got around.

“I don’t want to force you to do something that you don’t like, I don’t want to live knowing that you hated me for forcing you. So, if this is what you want you can go ahead and take the NYU acceptance” She gave me a warm smile

“Oh my God mom, are you for real? I stood up and hugged her; she shook her head in approval.

“Thank you so much mom! I swear you will not regret this, I’ll make you proud mom I promise you” I hugged her again

I ran upstairs to call Blake and tell him the good news, and just like earlier before, he seemed really laid back about the whole moving to New York thing. But I’m so glad I told my mom about NYU, I didn’t think she would be okay with it and I would be forced to study law just like what she wanted.

Now all I have to do is break the news to Zacky… and Brian.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay,

one, I'm SOO SO SO SO SO SO SORRY for not updating in for a long time. But I rarely get a holiday this long and I'm trying to make the best of it so... :P Oh! Happy new years guys! I hope you had a great time and I hope this year would bring you joy and prosperity!

two, I lost count of all the comments and for that I apologize but I'll thank you guys one by one on the next chapter! So please, comment!!

three, I'm close to finishing this story... Probably a couple of chapters left... I'm still thinking whether I should do a sequel or not cause honestly, I'm running out of ideas for the story. Let's hope I'll get my brain to work properly and come up with great stuff!

four, this is the first of two chapters that I'm going to post tonight! So stay tuned!! Love you guys, please don't give up on me!