Sequel: Our Story
Status: Reworked this story. There's another chapter! :D

Somewhere in Neverland

Fourteen

A golden ray appears in the early morning sky, changing from a dark orange to a bright yellow as the sun rises higher and higher into the sky and begins to illuminate the cityscape around us. Evidently today is something to celebrate, but I’m not so sure.

There’s a cool breeze this morning and even through the thick material of my sweatshirt, goosebumps still manage to form on my body. I shiver slightly and Alex must notice because he scoots closer to me to share his body heat.

“Happy birthday,” He says, kissing my cheek lightly. “One year older.”

I smile. This moment is absolute perfection and I couldn’t be any happier if I tried.

Dan, the guys’ bus driver, agreed to stop this morning so we could watch the sun rise over Portland. Everyone else passed out a while ago, but Alex and I stayed up all night talking. The effects of my 12 am birthday shots wore off hours ago and sobriety allowed us to delve deeper into everything we wanted to say for the seven years we spent apart.

Alex and I marvel in the beauty of the rising sun, watching as the darkness turns to daylight in silence. I lay my head on his shoulder and sigh contently. Nothing can be said to make this moment any better than it already is, but I can’t help but express my appreciation.

“Alex,” I say softly.

“Hm?” He hums, laying his head on top of mine.

“Thanks for everything,” I close my eyes tiredly. “You’ve already made today so special and it isn’t even 8 am yet.”

I try and fight my heavy eyelids, but they’re slowly beginning to win out and Alex stands up and grabs my hands to help me up from the curb.

“Come on,” He says, lacing his arm around my waist protectively before leading me back to the bus.

“I meant what I said,” I say, climbing into his bunk before him to claim the wall and the majority of the blankets.

“I know,” He snuggles up against my back and drapes an arm across my body that I gladly grab ahold of and pull close to my chest.

--

When I wake up, Alex is still curled around my body with his arm draped protectively over top of me. I roll over so I’m face to face with his sleeping form and press my palms against his chest lightly.

“Wake up,” I whisper, kissing the tip of his nose. He shifts slightly, but doesn’t wake up. Alex isn’t one to wake up without much effort and I know that, so I’m forced to take extra steps to do it. “Alex,” I allow my hands to wander his body, meandering down below his belt.

“What’re you doing?” His voice is full of sleep, but there’s still an amused tone to it.

“Waking you up,” His eyes are still closed, but it doesn’t stop him from smiling before pulling me closer to him where I melt into his chest.

“And how’s that working for you?”

“Well, you’re awake enough to talk,” I say, kissing him quickly. “That’s a good sign, I guess.”

“I don’t want to get up yet,” He whines before burying his head in my neck and shushing me so he can at least draw out the wake up process.

We cuddle for a while in silence, still debating whether or not we’d like to pull our asses out of bed and be productive human beings for a bit. It can’t be that late in the day because I’m still exhausted and I can’t suppress the yawn that escapes my lips. Damn all-nighters and the miserableness of the day after.

“I want pancakes,” I say out of the blue, remembering the emptiness of my stomach. “You should make me some.”

He opens his eyes partly and looks like he’s trying to tell if I’m serious or not. When he realizes that I’m being serious, he pouts. “But I’m warm.”

“But it’s my birthday,” I argue, tangling my fingers in his bedhead and kiss him gently on the lips. His stubbornness doesn’t die down so I smirk and offer him a deal. “Find me pancakes and I will reward you with birthday sex later.”

“Aren’t I supposed to offer that to you?” He’s skeptical that I’d really deny him sex because he denied me pancakes, but I can hold even the stupidest of grudges. “You know, like hey, it’s your birthday; let me treat you to some extra special sex today.”

“I don’t know, but I wouldn’t fight me, Alex,” I laugh.

He opens the curtain slightly and the light streams in from the aisle. I shield my eyes by burying my face in his chest.

“Wanna be a hero and make Caroline some birthday pancakes?”

“Sure,” I hear Zack say. “And happy birthday, you sleepy fuck. You should come grace the world with your birthday girl presence.” He pokes his head into the bunk and leans over Alex to engulf me in a tight hug.

“I will. I’m trying to get this guy out of bed first, though.”

“Kick him in the dick,” Zack says. “It’s really easy; I do it all the time.”

I turn to Alex and smile. He can obviously tell that I’m plotting something, because he willingly sits up and pulls himself out of the bunk. I wrap myself in the comforter and follow him down the aisle to the back lounge where Jack, Rian, John, Josh, Miller, and Vinny are all laying around watching Talladega Nights.

“Happy birthday!” Jack and Rian yell when they notice us walk in.

“Thanks,” I say, lodging myself in between John and Josh on one of the couches where they scoot over to make enough room for me.

Josh elbows me lightly in the ribs and when I make eye contact with him, he’s smiling. “Happy birthday, McGee.” I lean in and allow him to engulf me in a bear hug that John quickly joins in on.

“Thanks, guys,” I laugh as more people pile in on the group hug. Miller lunges towards the pile and lands roughly on top, sandwiching John in between him and I.

After a few moments, the pile disassembles and everyone returns to their spots on the floor and the couch on the opposite side of the lounge. Zack heads a march down the aisle with the rest of the crew, proudly carrying a plate of pancakes that’s topped with lit candles. Underneath his arm is a container of sugar free syrup and I can’t help but laugh at the proud look on his face.

“So, uh, Alex said you wanted birthday pancakes,” Zack smiles sheepishly. “And I didn’t really know what that meant, so I took it upon myself to improvise.”

He hands me the plate and I can’t hold back the laughter. The pancakes are speckled with colorful sprinkles – definitely festive – and I nod in gratitude. “Thanks, Zack. They’re lovely.”

“But you know, before you eat them we have to sing to you so you can make a wish and all that weird shit,” He says, shoving his hands deep into his pockets.

Zack counts down from three before I’m serenaded by the entire crew. John and Josh take it upon themselves to stroke my face and shoulders awkwardly throughout the entire thing while Matt films the entire experience. They only stop when it’s time for me to blow out my candles and make my wish.

I wish for a happy and successful future. I say in my head as I take a deep breath and blow out all 24 candles in one swift motion.

The group cheers, but the attention doesn’t stop there.

“We actually have a surprise for you,” Bam says without being able to hold back the giant smile forming on his lips.

I frown. They know I hate surprises.

“Guys, I told you not to get me anything. Being here is enough.”

Bam shakes his head before turning around and summoning someone. No one’s missing, so I’m momentarily confused before I leap off the couch in complete surprise and excitement at the sight of my best friend.

“Noelle!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for not updating sooner and for this being so short. It's been a rough few days and I've been trying to enjoy my break from school with my friends. Another update should be coming tonight and I promise it'll be longer than this. Thanks for all the birthday wishes and comments. It made my day! Keep commenting and letting me know what you think and thank you for reading and subscribing!