Sequel: Dark Paradise

Pride

one.


Swirling the cliche red cup in her nervous hands, Emma took a deep breath and walked into the living room. Most of the hockey team was already there with a few exceptions. She found a familiar face in Chay Genoway and gave a small wave from across the room. The 5’9 freshman waved back and nodded her over. As she walked through the crowd, Emma bumped into none of than TJ Oshie.

Emma felt her cheeks burn up as she stammered to apologize. The sophomore just shook his head sending his mop blonde hair flying, “Don’t worry about it.” He replied in such a cool tone.

“You know, when I said get his attention, I didn’t exactly mean run the guy over...” Chay snickered taking a sip of his beer and dodging a punch to the arm.

The shorter brunette narrowed her eyes, “Fuck off. Isn’t there some slut waiting with her legs open for you.”

“You know, I find that kind of language to be very offensive.” Chary pouted feigning hurt, “It kills me when you’re mean. Especially after all the trouble I went through to invite you.”

Emma took a large gulp of her drink and cringed as the burning sensation washed over her. “You know, every time words come out of your mouth, I regret being your friend.”

BeforeChay ad a chance to defend himself Jonathan Toews pat his younger teammate on the back and sniggered, “Ouch, rough blow buddy. I like her. Come one, I’m Jonathan.” He held out his hand.

Emma smiled and stuck her tongue out at Chay, “I’m Emma, nice to meet you.”

“Likewise.” Jon smiled, “I’ll introduce you to the rest of the guys.”

On the other side of the party, a slightly wasted TJ Oshie found himself very comfortable between wo blonde and very busty ladies. Opposite him on the other couch was Brotha with his own set of very nice lady companions. He didn’t pay much attention to whatever the girls were saying but it never really mattered.

By the time the sun rose, they would be on their merry way. With an empty cup, TJ excused himself momentarily and headed into the kitchen which had just irrupted in laughter. Standing around the small circular table were Taylor Chorney, Vandy, Jon, and the brunette who had bumped into him earlier in the night.

“Hey boys!” TJ greeted the group enthusiastically.

There was a round of ‘heys’ from the boys and small timid wave rom the girl. “This here is Emma! She’s a freshie.” Jon announced equally enthusiastically as TJ’s greeting.

“Hi.” Her voice cracked slightly, “I’m Emma.”

TJ nodded, “Nice to meet you, I’m-”

“TJ, I know.” She interrupted, “I’ve gone to a few games in my time.”

The hockey player nodded and smirked to himself. Just like that, Emma was putty in the hands of TJ Oshie. As the next few weeks progressed, Emma found herself spending more time with TJ. THe two had become close, or so Emma thought. The young athlete liked the idea of having someone so willingly at his disposal.

The two continued to meet just like that, in the crowd of parties. Bumping into each other... literally and figuratively. Then, one fateful December evening, everything changed. Emma and Jon were watching TV waiting for Chay, Darcy, and Vandy to arrive so they could grab dinner before heading to a party. During a commercial break, Jon’s pocket began vibrating. “It’s Davey.”

“Go ahead.” Emma smiled grabbing the remote from him as he left, cell phone attached to his ear. As the front door opened, Emma didn’t bother turning around. It was something she had finally grown accustom to- closed doors were simply a suggestion, knocking was never necessary. Out of the corner of her eye, Emma saw TJ sulking over by the refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water.

“Jonny here?” TJ’s voice asked.

Emma shook her head. Her cheeks matched the red Christmas bow bow hanging over the TV. “He’s on the phone with Davey.”

TJ stayed silent for a moment. He pondered his options before deciding to kick off his shoes and situated himself on the couch dangerously close to the brunette, “You’re a girl...” he stated.

Emma looked away from Don Cherry’s gaudy blazer and met TJ’s intoxicating eyes, “Yeah.” She felt her heart rate pick up as she admired the soft pink flush on TJ’s cheeks, “I’m glad you’ve noticed.”

The hockey player nodded again but remained silent for a moment, “Would you date me?”

“I... what?” Emma felt the room shrinking around her. Someone cut off her oxygen supply, “I mean, sure. You’re nice, funny, talented... handsome.” Adjectives spewed out of her mouth like vomit.

Looking into her eyes for a moment, TJ felt a sense of comfort and security. That was all he needed before reacting to her answer. He dropped a hand to her face and cupped Emma’s cheek gently. Their lips met and closed any space between them.
♠ ♠ ♠
fun little prelude :D