Status: I'm working on it slowly but surely

We'll Both Catch Fire on Words of Desire

Chapter 1

Kate tapped her long and bony fingers on the table. She stared at the tattoo of the ring on her engagement finger as tears slid down her face. It was the only thing that kept her close to her fiancé. He didn’t have the money to buy her a ring when he proposed, so he drew one in marker “to make it a memorable night,” he had told her. Kate said yes of course and the next day had gotten the “ring” tattooed so she would always have it.

Her and derrick were supposed to have been married a month ago, but his job which was “top secret” sent him away to place she wasn’t supposed to know about. She worried sick but what are you going to do when the person you love the most, possibly your soul mate, got whisked away and you haven’t heard from him since.

Kate starred at her kitchen table, fingers tapping away for who knows how long, when a sudden knock snapped her back into reality. “Who could that be?” She mumbled to herself shuffling to the front door.

She opened the door to see an unfamiliar man standing there. He towered her five-foot-five stature, and was dressed in an all-black suit. Kate stood a little taller, trying in vain to stand tall. “Yes,” she asked.

“Are you Miss. Clemons?”

“Yes, I am. Now who are you and what business do you want with me?”

“I’m a friend and co-worker of Derrick,” he paused, “I have some bad news.”

Any sense of authority she had fell apart as she slumped against the doorframe. ‘This is it,’ she thought numbly, ‘they’re here to tell me Derricks dead.’ She vaguely heard the guy asked if he could come in. Kate weakly nodded and numbly led him into the living room, where she collapsed onto the sofa.

“I’ll go make some tea, and then we can talk about it.”

The guy left the room, but Kate barely even noticed. She just cried for the death of the man she loved. The guy came back in what seemed like an endlessly long time. But, Kate wasn’t sure of the time, it could’ve been two hours or two minutes.

He passed her a steaming cup of tea, which she took gratefully. She sipped her tea at first, then gulped it down when she realized it was just the thing she needed to make her feel a little better. She set the cup down on the table.

“What happened to Derrick,” she whispered to him. She saw his lips moving but couldn’t make out anything he was saying. His image blurred and she blinked trying to clear her vision. She tried to rub her eyes, but couldn’t get her hands to cooperate with her. Her vision grew darker and darker. Right before she blacked out completely she heard the guy say, “Boss we got the girl.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry its short. This comes to show you never let in mysterious strangers. ~Sammi