The Life and Times of a Not So Ordinary Vampire Family

Chapter 5

“Have you two got much homework tonight?” Jack asks a few hours later when the family sits down to dinner a few hours later.
“Not really I just have to read a couple of chapters of my science text book and answer the focus questions. That won’t take too long.” Christian says.
“Ditto, and then i have to pick a topic for the new history paper that’s due in three weeks” Lennox says.
“What are your choices?” Jack asks.
“We have to pick a European country and write a paper on a certain aspect and how it has changed over time.” she responds.
“Do you have any ideas about what you’re going to pick? Or what country?” he asks.
“Well Christian and I were discussing it earlier and we thought we’d pick something from British or Italian history” she says.
“Italy or England huh?” Jack asks exchanging a glance with Alexa. “and what may I ask was the reason behind your decision?” he asks. “it wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that Alexa and I could give first-hand accounts of a fair amount of Italian and English history respectively would it?”
“It might have something to do with that” Christian admits.
“You do realise you could pick pretty much any other country in Europe besides just England and Italy right?” Jack asks.
“How’s that work you and Alexa are from England and Italy, and in case you haven’t realize there are just a few more countries than just those two.” Lennox points out.
“Sure we’re originally from England at Italy but we have been around for a wee bit longer than the average person and obviously we couldn’t stay in the same place for too many years because people would get suspicious so we’ve been able to travel fairly extensively. And over time have learnt about lots of different cultures.” he explains.
“So you guys will write the papers for us?” Christian asks.
“Errm yeah, no that’s not gonna happen.” Alexa says.
“We’ll help you with the research part of the paper, but as for the writing of part of it, that’s all up to you.” she adds.
“So what are we having for dinner? Did you two manage to get he car fixed in time to get the blood before you picked us up? Or are we going to detour past he hospital on the way home?” Lennox asks.
“We’re going straight home, and when we get there you two are going to get some of your homework done because later tonight after it gets dark we’re going on a little family outing” Jack says.
“We are? Since when do we ever go on family outings?” Christian asks.
“Since we’re in a small town where people talk, and since people have been talking about how they never actually see me or Alexa out and about other than when we come to pick you up from school. They think that’s unusual so we are going to go out for dinner as a family and get to know some of the locals, and more importantly let them get to know us” Jack says.
“Ok, so where are gonna go for dinner I doubt any of the local have blood on their menus” Lennox points out.
“I’m sure that they don’t as well but as you know we can eat regular food even if it doesn’t particularly benefit us, there’s no reason why we can’t eat it.” Jack says “and then if you kids are really good we might even go bowling” he adds.
“You know I don’t think I’ve actually been bowling since I turned.” Lennox comments. “is it any different to bowling as a human?”
“Nope, its pretty much the same except that you have more strength and accuracy with your shots.” Alexa says.
“And what time are you planning to go out on this fake-normal human outing?” he asks.
“Sometime between 6 and 8, you know normal human dinner time, when the kitchens in the café’s hotels and restaurants are open.” Jack says.
“That makes sense, damn this pretending to be human and keeping up appearances to avoid arousing suspicion shit is really tedious. Is it always like this or does it get easier as time goes on?” Christian asks.
“Nope, it’s always the same. Whenever we move to a new town wherever it is we still have to keep up appearances and be seen out and about during the day because if people start to think we only come out at night they might get suspicious.” Alexa says. “oh and you’ll find that nowadays since the whole twilight saga phenomenon hit people and especially tweens and pre-teens expect us vampires to sparkle in the sun and drink only animal blood.”
“How is it that we can walk in the sun without burning to a crisp anyway? Is the whole thing about vampires burning in sunlight just a myth or something?” Lennox asks.
“Oh no it’s quite true. Definitely not a myth. I’ve known more than one vampire who has stayed out too late at night and been caught at daybreak and burned up.” Alexa responds.
“Ok so if it’s true that we burn in the sun how come we aren’t getting burned by it right now? How is it that we’re able to go to school and do things during the day?” she asks.
“Because these coloured contact lenses we wear aren’t just to hide the red colour of our eyes, I had them charmed to protect us against the sun. Which is why you should never take them out during the day, because if you do you’ll burn up and die” Alexa says.
* * *
“Hello how may I help you this evening?” the waiter asked as they entered the restaurant.
“We’d like a table for four please, in the back if possible.” Alexa responds flashing the young man a smile.
“Of course madam, right this way” he says smiling broadly at her and gesturing for her to follow. “Will this do? I can find you something else if it won’t” he says leading them to a table at the back of the restaurant well away from the noisy overcrowded bar in the front.
“This will do nicely Mr…I’m sorry I didn’t quite catch your name” she replies.
“Oh how silly of me. I forgot to introduce myself. My name is Jared. Jared Markson. And I am delighted to be your server tonight, if there is anything you require don’t hesitate to ask” he says giving her another big smile.
“Thankyou Jared, we’ll just have a quick look at these menus and decide what we want t eat” she says.
“Very god ma’am , would you perhaps like to order a round of drinks to start you off?” he asks.
“Yes please, I’ll have a bourbon on the rocks” she says before turning to her left “Jack?” she asks.
“I’ll have a glass of Rum and blackcurrant juice please.” Jack says “and could we have a bottle of water for the table with four glasses as well please?” he asks.
“Would that be sparkling or still water?” Jared asks.
“Sparkling” Alexa responds. “Kids what do you want to drink?” she asks turning to Lennox and Christian who are sitting opposite them on the other side of the rectangular table.
“Could I have a lemon lime and bitters please?” Lennox asks.
“Coke for me please” Christian adds.
“So that’s a coke, a lemon lime and bitters, Rum and black, a bourbon on the rocks and a bottle of sparkling water?” he asks.
“That’s right” Jack says.
“And to eat?” he asks.
“Everything on the menu sounds so good, is there anything you would recommend?” Alexa asks.
“The pizzas here are pretty good, the chef has a secret recipe for the base and the tomato sauce” Jared says.
“Ok well I’ll take your word for it. Could we have a large honey-soy chicken pizza, and a large Morrocan Lamb pizza please? And two orders of garlic bread as well” she says.
“We have an offer of free soup with dinner this week would you like to take advantage of that tonight?” he asks.
“Yes please that would be lovely” she replies with a smile.
“Very good, I’ll take your order to the kitchen and it will be ready soon” he replies and retreat from the table with a small bow and yet another smile.
“I think he’s in love with you” Christian comments.
“Oh please, he’s just doing his job, they have to be nice to customers.” Alexa responds.
“He wasn’t just being nice, he was flirting with you, hell he was practically throwing himself at you “ he says.
“If that were true it’s only because I’m a vampire. We draw humans in, to make it easier to feed off them” she says.
“It’s not just that” Jack blurts out.
“What?” she asks.
“Uhhm n-nothing” he stammers.
“No you said something what do you mean it’s not just that?” she asks.
“Uhh…it’s nothing, I misheard you that’s all I thought you said we draw people in to feed them” he says. “well I gotta got to the bathroom” he adds hastily standing up and moving away from the table.
“Wait up I need to go to” Lennox says standing up also and following him. “Ok admit it” she hisses once they are out of earshot.
“Admit what?” Jack asks.
“You like her don’t you? Alexa I mean, you like her as more than a friend I mean” she asks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry its been so long since we updated guys, thanks for sticking with us we should have updates more frequently now. hope you like it comments are appreciated so please tell us what you think.