Now Leasing

Chapter 12

Erik went outside of Brandon’s house. It was pitch dark outside now with only the street lights giving off light. The sound of a car could be heard approaching. Erik just kept walking calmly and glanced at the car as it went by. It was Ashleigh. He smirked ever so slightly and just kept walking. It probably took everything in his power to not just burst out laughing.

I heard a door open. It must be Erik coming back home from his murder.

“Erik, what have you done?”

“What have I done? Don’t you think you should be the one doing the explaining?”

I’m not sure what he meant by that and I frankly didn’t have time to figure out. Erik had a sinister agenda and had to be stopped. I heard Kevin and Allyson talking upstairs. I could tell that Erik wanted to do something. Before I knew it, Erik was upstairs. I rushed up after him. I wasn’t even worried about them finding out I was in their house, I was trying to save their lives. I saw Erik with a kitchen cleaver in his hand and he was headed towards the living room. Kevin and his wife were in the living room. By the sounds of things, they were watching a comedy because I kept hearing the laugh track go off. There was nothing funny about what was going on. Erik was going to kill them. I did the only thing I could think of.

“KEVIN! ALLYSON! HE’S COMING!”

They didn’t react. It was like they didn’t even hear me. Erik leapt out from the kitchen and plunged a knife right into Allyson’s chest before anyone could do anything. Kevin jumped off the couch and connected his fist with Erik’s face. Erik staggered and I could feel his pain. Erik shook off the punch and recovered. He raised the knife back up but Kevin hit Erik with a barrage of fists to the stomach. Erik spit up blood and I tasted it. Kevin lunged at Erik but he quickly stepped out of the way. Kevin went grabbing for air and took a fall to the ground. Erik took his chance. He placed the knife right into Kevin’s back. Kevin yelled in pain and rolled over. Erik went in for another stab but Kevin scurried out of the way. Erik had a look in his eyes that I had never seen before. I felt the rage build up in me. Kevin staggered backwards and fell onto the couch, right next to Allyson. Allyson at this point was beyond saving as she was bathing in her own blood. Erik weaved the knife in between Kevin’s ribs. He cringed in pain as his eyes began to water. Erik twisted the knife and Kevin grunted even more. He ripped the knife out and with one quick motion; Erik slashed the knife across Kevin’s throat, effectively ending his life.

I stood and watched in horror as all of this was unfolding. I was immobilized. I couldn’t move. I didn’t want to move. I felt like it was my fault that they died. I felt like it was I that committed the murders. I didn’t even know what to think. Everything happened so fast and now there were two dead people in the house. That’s not even counting the murder of Ashleigh’s boyfriend.

Ashleigh.

I forgot all about Ashleigh.

What is she doing right now? Has she called the police? Is she going to be coming home soon? I could almost be okay with everyone else being dead as long as she gets to be safe. I couldn’t let Erik get to her. I must have been lost in my thoughts for a while because Erik wasn’t in the living room anymore. The bloodied knife was lying on the ground. There were two corpses on the couch and Erik was wandering around somewhere. I heard a car outside. It sounded like it was getting closer. Lights shined through the window and then the engine shut off. A door slammed and footsteps were coming up to the front door. Ashleigh was home.

It’s game time.