Now Leasing

Chapter 2

A moving truck was in the driveway. It looked like a new family was ready to move in. I noticed a tall, middle aged man with a woman, either his wife or girlfriend. Accompanying them was a average height, average sized teenage girl with shoulder length blonde hair. I am assuming that this was their daughter. She was on the phone with a boy, I concluded that it was her boyfriend. I enjoyed watching people, no harm in that. I did it a lot at the orphanage. Nobody ever liked to talk to me so I just watched them and imagined that I was in their conversations with them. That's why I latched onto Erik because he actually enjoyed my company.

It was starting to get dark outside and all of the noise was dying down. I climbed the stairs to the first floor and put my ear up to the wall. This staircase was weird at first, it isn't very often that you see a staircase go to nowhere but that's just what this one did. I just found it convienient that I could listen to people and just act like other people like me. I heard the middle aged man talking to the woman.

"I really like this house, Kevin. We can finally get back on our feet," said the woman.

I now know that the middle aged man's name is Kevin. By the way she said get back on our feet, I think it is safe to assume that the woman is Kevin's wife. That would make the teenage girl their daughter.

"I'm excited, Allyson. It's like our first home all over again. We can start over, except we have Ashleigh now," Kevin said with a chuckle.

Kevin and Allyson are married and from the way they talked, it sounds like they have been married for quite some time. I don't know if Ashleigh knows this but I overheard them talking about how Ashleigh wasn't even planned. Oops. Their secret is safe with me. Erik was next to me. He asked what I was doing and I told him just listening. He suggested that we watch them instead of just listening. He grabbed a screwdriver from the basement and unscrewed one little screw from outlet that w on asthe wall. He then walked a little farther up the stairs and unscrewed a screw there. We could now watch into the living room and Ashleigh's bedroom through an eletrical outlet. We had tried drilling peepholes in the past but the families always noticed those and convered them up. I liked this a lot because now I could feel as if I was part of the family and not have to worry about anyone covering these holes up. I hope they won't mind.