Status: wheeeeee

Come Alive

Toy Soldier

The mornings were always the toughest for Alex. Not that he hated waking up…he just hated waking up. As the obnoxious calendar event on his phone reminded him he had to be downtown for a full day of press, Alex stifled a groan into his pillow. He’d had enough of the photo shoots and the relentless interviewing. He’d had enough of the day-time talk show hosts badgering him about the “mysterious blonde girl” he’d been caught holding hands with outside of that club he “always went to.” It’d been weeks of this. Promotion for his latest album. “You want to be the biggest name in the world, don’t you?” He did. He wanted to be somebody. But he missed his friends. He missed his hometown. He missed the drunken football games and the dumb makeshift Halloween costume parties. Not that L.A. wasn’t fun—because it was. Not that he didn’t have any friends here—because he did. He just missed the people that cared about him before he moved to the other side of the country. He missed the people that loved him before he spent his days being followed around by paparazzi.
​His phone’s alarm went off again. If he didn’t get out of bed soon he’d have to forego showering to be able to make the show on time and today was definitely not a day his management would want the cameras to see his greasier side. With a grunt, Alex pushed himself out of bed and stumbled to the bathroom, at least this was the last day of this shit for a while. At least he could fly home today and spend the remnants of the year with his family. He’d already missed Thanksgiving and Christmas and it was only three days until the new year started and he wanted to spend at least some time at home before the world tour started. Thinking of New Year’s, Alex suddenly realized his old high school friends were probably planning a huge party and he probably wasn’t invited to it.
​Alex shook his head as idea of the people he’d once been closest to now hating him resurfaced into his thoughts. You had to do what you had to do to get where you are. You’re successful now, they should be proud of you. Still, he didn’t like to think about losing them.
​After his shower, Alex pulled on a pair of too-expensive skinny jeans and a shirt some designer had made special for today’s big announcement. His agent had reminded him six times this morning alone to not forget to wear the dumb gray sweater. Knowing he’d have to go through hair and makeup anyway, Alex didn’t bother with any further preparation and grabbed a beanie from his dresser before heading out of his apartment.
Almost immediately after leaving the sanctity of his building’s foyer, cameras started flashing and shouts of “Alex! Alex what are you announcing today! How was your party last night! Alex!” drowned out the relative silence of his corner of Los Angeles. He smiled to the cameras and waved slightly it was way too goddamn early for this. Alex pushed his way through the crowd of parasites to the car his management had waiting for him. A small part of his heart ached for the Toyota his dad had taught him to drive in. Alex missed driving himself places. Apparently having money meant not driving.
L.A. was a beautiful city and from the tinted backseat windows of the SUV, Alex couldn’t help but admire his dream town. What time does your flight come in again? I’ll be waiting in the normal spot the text from his mom brought his attention back to the confines of the car. Alex was flying home to Baltimore tonight. Home. He reminded himself again of the familiarity he missed so much as he told his mom to not wait up for him. His flight wasn’t landing until after 11 and he didn’t need his parents missing sleep over him, Mom, it’s fine, I’ll get a cab or something home. I’ll see you in the morning and get some rest!
​Too soon, the SUV was pulled to a stop outside the TV studio Alex had to live in today. He couldn’t even remember what show exactly he was scheduled for, all he knew was the lines he’d been told to memorize to make his announcement “all the more exciting.”
​“Good luck, today.” The driver turned around to face Alex. His eyes were sympathetic as the drone of more parasitic photographers surrounded their car.
​“Thanks. What’s your name, again?” Alex reached into his back pocket for his wallet, this guy seemed nice, he deserved some extra cash.
​“Oh, that’s my name’s not important, Mr. Gaskarth. You just worry about yourself and how you’re going to get inside.” Actually, Alex was surprised there wasn’t any security waiting for him to get out but he was silently relieved. Maybe someone somewhere had realized he was a full-grown adult and could manage a few simple steps out of a car and into a studio without a babysitter. Alex pulled $50 out of his wallet, “Oh no, sir. I can’t take that.” The nameless driver shook his head as Alex insisted. Money was money. It meant nothing. It was fake paper with a fabricated value. He didn’t need it, but the kind-hearted middle-aged driver who hadn’t been gifted the luck Alex had, did.
​After a few minutes of civil arguing, Alex tossed the money into the front seat and dashed out of the car before he could be resisted any further. Immediately he was surrounded by the cameras again. “HEY! YOU FOLKS BACK OFF THE MAN BEFORE HE’S LATE TO HIS APPOINTMENT OR ELSE NONE OF YOU WILL EVER KNOW WHAT TODAY’S ANNOUNCEMENT IS!” Alex looked around; maybe God had finally intervened on his life.
​The driver winked at Alex from his rolled down window as the paparazzi slowly backed away from him. Alex smiled; he’d have to tell the higher-ups to give that man a raise or something. As the car pulled away from the curb, Alex turned to face the now-clear pathway toward the front doors of the studio. He sighed, today was gonna be a long day.
​Halfway to the doors, something caught Alex’s attention. The normal shouting and desperate pleas sounded odd. Turning around to face the commotion, Alex’s heart sank.