Red

New Life Abroad - Eliza

“I’m sorry Eliza, you have no other choice your mother was very certain of that.”

I glanced up through my tear soaked lashes at my father. “I’m not going back to Aaron.”

“Then I’ll book the next flight out, I suggest you start packing.”


TWO MONTHS LATER

The sun was setting over the Mediterranean and I sipped on my white wine. The city was quiet as it was the dead of winter. Miguel walked over and sat down at the table with a decanter filled with wine. He refilled my glass and looked out over the water with me. The setting sun reflected on his dark as night black hair and olive toned skin. When we first met I stumbled over my words thinking he was Siva. The resemblance was striking.

“Are you going home for the holidays?” He asked.

“No, I’m not allowed back home at the moment. Will you be going back to Madrid?”

“No, Mathieu wants me to meet his parents, so we’re leaving for Paris in three days.”

“That’s exciting!” I smiled over at him but he didn’t seem so excited himself.

“His parents don’t know about me. I don’t even think they know he’s gay.”

I reached over and placed my hand on his, “well I hope and pray that they will love you and accept you as much as I have. You and Mathieu are perfect together. Everyone can see it.”

“But if I come home early can we get drunk together on Christmas Eve and feel sorry for our pathetic lives?”

I couldn’t help but laugh along with him, “of course”.

“Are you coming with us tomorrow to the wine festival?”

I pondered over the things I had planned and for once I did set away a day to escape with Miguel and his family. “Yes! I better stop drinking now though if I’ll be drinking tomorrow.”

“Oh Eliza, wine is the water of the Gods. Besides, it looks as though Poseidon is pissed off about something, don’t want to piss him off more.”

I looked back over the sea and saw a storm slowly creeping our way.

“How would your father feel hearing you refer to the Greek Gods?” I laughed before finishing my wine. Miguel was quick to refill it.

“This is Ibiza darling! We eat, pray and fuck whatever we want!”

Our laughter echoed through the empty streets. “I don’t think you would fuck a goat would you?”

“If he was nice.”

“The goat would have to be nice?”

“Have you ever met a goat? They’re all assholes.”

We laughed again and drank our wine. When the storm grew closer we packed away the table and chairs back into the restaurant.

Life in Ibiza was everything and more I had expected. My heart felt empty though. It’s felt that way ever since Nathan walked away from me two months prior in Seattle. I tried to get him out of my thoughts but it was impossible. He quickly became everything to me. Jay had told me I needed to figure myself out before I jumped into a relationship. I knew he was right. My dad told me the same thing the very next day. Once my mom gave me the ultimatum I was on the next flight out. Prepared for major self-discovery.

I was making a living for myself in Spain. I’d painted more in two months than I had in two years. The thrill I went through when I sold my first painting was addicting. My collection, Finding You, was set to debut after the new year in one of the high end galleries close to the port. They were all landscapes featuring the backside of a young man like he was searching for someone or something. When Miguel saw them he asked me who the young man was.

‘No one in particular.’

When truthfully it was Nathan. My subconscious was hoping that he was out there trying to find me once again. I couldn’t lose hope.

I walked the steps up to my studio apartment and sat in front of my unfinished canvas. I turned on some classical music and lost myself in the painting.

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Miguel and I stumbled through the streets giggling as we had returned from the wine festival. Our arms were linked trying to both stay on our feet. Miguel’s father yelled at him in Spanish as he carried crates of wine into the restaurant. Whatever was said sent Miguel into hysterics.

“Dance with me!” He laughed spinning me around with my hands. I lost my balance and fell landing straight on my ass. I looked up to see Miguel fall over from laughter as well. A hand appeared in front of my face and I grabbed it as I brought myself back up to my feet. I glanced at the stranger and quickly sobered up.

“Are you okay?” He asked looking over my face. Did he not recognize me? It could be possible since I had just cut off my long hair.

“Fine, fine. Thank you,” I answered taking a step back.

“I’m sorry, you look really familiar. Do I know you?” I looked past Max and saw Nathan standing at the end of the road. I couldn’t make out the lines of his face, but I felt it in my heart. I knew that was him.

“No, I’m sorry. You don’t,” I stated before walking over to Miguel. I grabbed his hand and dragged him upstairs into his apartment.

“What was that about? Who was that guy? He was hot!”

I poured two glasses of water and handed one to Miguel. I peeked out the front windows and saw Max and Nathan standing down below. Max had his hands on Nathans shoulders and it looked like Nathan was yelling. I stepped away and looked at Miguel.

“Remember when we first met and I told you about Nathan?”

“Yeah, you said you didn’t want to talk about him again. Wait! Was that him?”

“No, that’s his friend Max, but Nathan is down there with him right now.” Of all the small islands in the world how did I manage to end up on the same one as Nathan?