Red

The Way You Are - Eliza

It felt so nice to just do as I wanted. If I wanted to go up to a complete strangers hotel room than I was going to do it! I finally felt freed from the hell I had been living. This Nathan was good looking as well. I wouldn’t mind spending the evening, or night, with him. I could only suspect he’d end up in the pages of Seattle Magazine with me. I only hoped he was okay with that.

“So Nathan, what do you do?” I asked kicking off my shoes bringing me down below his height.

“I’m in entertainment. I also crashed that party downstairs. I’m just here on a small retreat.”

I arched an eyebrow at him. How could he possibly crash the event? As far as I knew security was tight around these parts. I decided not to focus on that though. “What does a small retreat consist of?”

“Crashing parties, meeting beautiful girls, helping them hide. It’s called the Nathan Deluxe.”

“Deluxe huh? What does the supreme package include?” I felt my cheeks heat as he smiled down at me.

“Dinner with me, tomorrow night.”

“I might have to take you up on that,” I smiled as I walked over to his bed and sat down on it. “Why stay in this hotel? We’re both dressed up, the whole city at our feet. Let’s go out.”

I glanced up at him as he turned around to face me on his bed. A smile began to form on his lips and I couldn’t help myself from blushing. He sure was on attractive man.

“I thought you wanted to stay close in case your mom called needed you downstairs?”

I thought about it for a minute. I did think that at first, but she would have called by now for me if needed. I only assumed that I had to be in the clear by now. All the local magazines got all the photos of me that they wanted. There was no need for me to stick around. Especially since I wasn’t going to write a ridiculous check to the foundation.

“No, I should be fine. Let’s go out. What do you say?” I watched as he moved across the hotel room to the front door. He opened the door and swung his arm around, “after you my lady.” I felt myself blush a shade darker than my dress. His accent made me weak in the knees, it took me a few minutes to get up from his bed.

As we rode down in the elevator I shot a text message to Edmund asking him to pick me up outside. “Where would you like to go?” He asked as I stowed my phone away in my clutch.

I thought about it for a minute. Where downtown could we possibly go dressed to the nines? “Sing Sing,” I answered with a big smile. It’d been ages since I’ve been and it just sounded so relaxing at the moment.

“What’s Sing Sing?” He asked at the elevator reached the lobby and we both stepped off in sync.

“It’s a dueling piano bar. I spent most of my college years hanging out there. Very low key. Good music.” I glanced at him and smiled. I saw Edmund pull up and I walked over to the car, Nathan close behind. I told Edmund where we were going and without any questions we reached our destination in just a mere 10 minutes.

To say we looked out of place was a clear understatement. I bent over and picked up the train of my dress as we exited the car and walked into the bar. Nathan placed his hand on my elbow to guide me. When we stepped inside, I looked around to see the place nearly empty. It saddens me. This was always the happening place to be on weekends, now it seemed like the place no one remembered. Nathan pulled out a chair for me close to the stage and I smiled as I sat down, watching as he sat in the chair directly next to me.

“Do you think they would let me up there?” He asked after a few comfortable moments of silence.

“Up there? On the piano?” I asked confused.

“Yeah. I know a song or two. What do you think?”

“I would highly enjoy that, that’s for sure. All you have to do is ask.” With that Nathan jumped up from his seat and approached the stage. I watched as he and who I could only assume was the stage manager exchange some words. Seconds later, Nathan was jumping up on stage and taking a seat behind one of the pianos, with the microphone extremely close to his mouth.

“This is for Eliza. This is the only song I know,” he laughed a bit as he stretched out his arms, resting his fingers upon the piano. I watched with wide eyes as this man I had only met a hour or two beforehand was now sitting behind a piano dedicating a song to me.

Her eyes, her eyes
Make the stars look like they’re not shining
Her hair, her hair
Falls perfectly without her trying
She’s so beautiful
And I tell her everyday


My mouth fell open, yet there was no way I couldn’t bring myself to shut it. I was in shock as to what I was witnessing up on the stage. Not only was this Nathan fellow good looking but he had a voice that cuts right to the soul. Maybe this is what he meant when he said he was in entertainment. Maybe he was a singer that I just never knew of. I wasn’t necessarily into mainstream music, I liked listening to rock from the 70’s. This though, this was beautiful. The way the lyrics just rolled right off of his tongue into the air. I was watching magic happen before my eyes.

It also made him a thousand times hotter.

I picked up an ice cube from my drink and placed in on my lounge. He wasn’t even looking out into the crowd. His eyes were closed and he was completely engrossed in the song he was playing for us.

Her lips, her lips
I could kiss them all day if she’d let me
Her laugh, her laugh
She hates but I think it’s God damn sexy.


It was at the very moment that I knew I wanted to get to know this man better. His voice was making my insides melt and when he smiled at me my toes tingled in a way I’ve never experienced.