Red

Formal Skee Ball - Nathan

It felt good to have the ivory keys under my fingers once again. Had I been running from my life for too long now? Could I go back to LA and face the blokes after walking out on them? Would I still be welcomed? I had texted them after I left, telling them I needed some personal time to sort out my thoughts. They all seemed supportive at the time, but it’s been over a week now since I’ve been gone. Surely they would need me to work on the new album right? I could only hope they would. Can they just kick me out?

I finally stood up from the piano bench to applause from the small audience. The two piano players came over and shook my hand. I jumped down from the stage and took my seat again next to Eliza. What I just did was no big deal in my eyes, but when I looked at her and saw the look of shock painted across her face I laughed.

“What?” I finally asked as she continued to just stare at me.

“I was not expecting that.” A smile beamed from my face as she just confirmed my suspicions. She had no idea who I was and the thought relaxed my whole body.

“Yeah, I like to play around a bit here and there with some music. It’s my creative outlet.”

“It was beautiful.” Our eyes locked and it took every ounce of my being to not bring my lips to hers. We’d only just met and I didn’t want to screw it up by kissing her right away, yet the temptation was weighing down my mind. She was gorgeous. She was the kind of girl I could take home to mum and not be afraid one bit. The vibration in my front pocket brought me out of my thoughts of Eliza and her stunning smile.

“Excuse me,” I stated as I saw Jay was calling. I stood up from the table and walked to the back of the bar where it was less crowded.

“Hey Jay,” I answered not exactly sure how this conversation was about to go.

“You need to come back.”

“When?”

“Now.”

“What do you mean ‘now’?”

“You been gone a week Nath, we’re trying to finish this song and we’ve all done the solo at the end, but no one can nail it like we know you can. We need you here mate.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll come down first thing in the morning.” I didn’t even wait for a response I ended the call and made my way back to Eliza. Her smiling face changed once she looked at me.

“Everything okay?” She asked as her hand rested on my arms.

“I have to leave for LA first thing in the morning. I’m sorry but we will have to reschedule our dinner date.”

“That’s unfortunate. But we have tonight right?”

“This we do.” I smiled linking her fingers together with mine.

“Well then, let’s chase the sun!” I couldn’t hold back my laughter. If only she knew . . . it’s best that she doesn’t, right now anyways. She stood up from the table and dragged me out by my hand. I had to jump on my toes to avoid stepping on the train of her gown. When she saw me tumble a bit, she bent over and picked up her train and continued to guide me outside of the bar.

“Edmund, I won’t be in need of your service for the rest of the night. Thank you,” she smiled to her driver and he simply nodded his head and walked to the driver’s side and climbed in.

“Where are we possibly going without a car?”

“Just up the road. Are you any good at skee ball?”

“Skee ball?! I don’t think we’re properly dressed for skee ball.”

She squeezed my hand and threw me the brightest smile I’d seen on her face since we’d met. “Are you scared I’ll kick your ass?”

“No, not scared one bit. Do you always run around town dressed in ball gowns?”

“Not always, but when I do I usually end up at Denny’s for sunrise.” Her laugh was infectious and I could only hope that I’d be sharing that breakfast with her come morning. A slight breeze made her shudder and I let go of her hand to slip off my blazer, I slipped it over her shoulders and she gave me a thousand-watt smile. “Thank you Nathan.”

“My pleasure Eliza.” I linked my fingers with her once again and we walked the streets of Seattle in the most comfortable silence I’ve experienced since I was a kid.