Red

Mommy Dearest - Eliza

There was a pang of sadness as I arrived back at my apartment from dropping Nathan off at the airport. It had only been some twelve hours since I’d met him, but after talking with him all night it’d felt like I’ve known him for years. I picked up the newspaper placed outside my front door and walked in pulling out the lifestyle section knowing the event would be mentioned in it somewhere. I wasn’t expecting a big ass photo on the front page though.

After a short nap I woke up to three missed calls from my mother as well as a message from Nathan letting me know he had arrived in LA safely. I shot him a quick, cute text back before calling my mom.

“Good morning daughter. Quite the show you put on last night.”

“Quite the show indeed. Have you seen the front page of the paper yet?”

“Of course I have, that’s why I was calling. Meet me for brunch at Portage Bay in say thirty minutes? You can have Edmund drive your boy home.” With that she hung up. Drive my boy home? What was I? A two-cent whore? Sure, Nathan had spent the night but nothing between us happened, I thought she would expect better of me. Then again, I did just throw the Aaron bombshell at her at the event. She couldn’t be happy about that.

I knew I had to play up to my mother big time. Our family has such a huge image to uphold I’ve had to be on my best behavior, that was until last night. Last night was the first time I wanted the spotlight on me. Not just for myself, but a little bit of me also wanted Aaron to see how happy I’ve become since I pushed him out of my life.

I put on my best Audrey Hepburn outfit. Black lace dress, Red peacoat, red heels, white clutch. I even had the sunglasses. I looked the part of a daughter who belonged to Harborview’s chief surgeon and King County’s district attorney. Talk about a power couple, I was pretty sure my parents ran the city of Seattle themselves.

I thought about walking to Portage Bay since it wasn't far from my apartment, but my feet still ached from walking all over the city the night before. I opted for a taxi instead since it’d be faster than waiting for Edmund.

I walked into the café and saw my mother sitting at her usual table towards the back. I slipped my peacoat off as I approached her. She stood up and hug me, placing a simple kiss on my cheek. Maybe this wasn’t going to be so bad afterall. I sat down and ordered an orange juice.

“So who is he?” She asked without looking up from the menu.

“His name is Nathan, he’s from London, and that’s about all I know.”

She looked up and gave me a stern look. “That’s all you know?”

“I met him last night, at the ball. That’s all I know.”

“Aaron? Was he out of town?”

I grumbled and began to pick at my freshly manicured nails. The waitress luckily brought our drinks and we ordered our food. I was hoping for a change of subject, but that wasn’t going to happen.

“I kicked him out after he told me I blew up like a balloon and he couldn’t be seen around town with a fatty. That was the last straw for me, and it wasn’t even the meanest thing he’s said to me.”

“Oh honey, you must be over exaggerating. He’s such a nice boy, there’s no way he could say such mean things to you. Anyways, enough about that. I’m throwing a party for your father’s birthday next Saturday. Nothing big, just a few people at the house. I want you there. When was the last time you spent time with him?”

I sat back and processed everything that just came from my mother’s mouth. From Aaron, to me lying, to my father. I pinched the bridge of my nose with my fingers and thought about her question. “Fourth of July. At the beach house. We painted together.”

“That was three months ago! He really was hoping to see more of you last night, but you disappeared so soon. I have to get back to the hospital, but I’ll see you on Saturday correct?”

“Yes mom.” She got up from the table leaving me to pay for our brunch. I sat there for a moment dumbstruck. I pulled out my phone and sent Nathan a text.

Is it too soon to say I miss you? Too soon in a sense that I don’t know you and too soon in a sense that you just left.

My phone beeped as I handed my credit card to the waitress.

It’s true you don’t know me. I want you to though. I want to know you as well. I may have something in the works for next weekend. I might have to drag along some people though.

I smiled at the thought of him returning.

If that means I can see you again, the whole city of LA can come along.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eliza

Okay, seven chapters in, it feels like this is going really slow to me... I feel like I'm taking forever to get to the good stuff. haha. Apologies for that. Thoughts? Comments? Nathan love?