Status: On hold, indefinite

Silence of the Children

I should've when I could've

“ANA!” I yelled when I caught up to her, grabbing her wrist and yanking her back.

“Oww, let go of me!” she tried to free her arm but failed miserably.

“We’re going home right now!” I started to pull her back towards the fence.

“Look!” she pointed again away from the fence. This time, I could see there was an old brick warehouse building with smoke coming from one of the chimneys. What was that doing in the middle of a field?

I pushed my curiosity to the side and continued pulling her back to the fence.

“Toby never said there were any buildings here…” Ana muttered.

“I guess Toby isn’t as honest as you thought he was.”

“He wouldn’t lie to me.”

“Yeah, right,” I scoffed. Ana was young, five years younger than me and she thought she knew everything. She really didn’t. Especially not about boys.

When we reached the top of the hill, I pulled her to the ground so as not to be seen by any oncoming cars.

“Don’t you want to know what it is?”

I took a glance back towards the building. “No, not really.”

“Liar,” she called. She was right, but still.

“It doesn’t matter what I want, it’s time to go home. Maybe another day.”

“So you do want to see,” she said all excited.

“No, I don’t!” I really shouldn’t have said ‘another day’.

After a few moments, the coast was clear and we stood up ready to go down the hill.

“You can let go of my hand you know.” She didn’t move until I loosened my grip on her wrist. She waited patiently until I decided to give her back her arm. I didn’t fully trust her and I didn’t want her running back. “Thank you.” She grinned cheekily.

I turned and was about to go back when I heard her laughing and start to skip towards the building again. She was still close enough that I could catch her and pull her back, but something about the mischievous look in her eye, the way she stopped and held out her hand waiting for me.

“You know you want to.”

I did, I really was curious. It would be the slice of adventure that I desperately needed in my boring life in this boring town.

I glanced towards the fence, and then back towards the building. Ana was excited, but I could tell by the look on her face that it would only take one more no and we’d both be going home. She was giving me the choice.

Sighing, I let my feet take me towards the building. I heard the ‘yes’ hissed under her breath as she took my hand and together we ran down the hill.

“You are going to die now.”

Me and Ana stumbled to a halt. In front of us stood a girl, pale as snow, her glare like diamond shards. On either side of her stood two large wolves their snarling drooling mouths hungry, the ripping sounds from their throats shredding every last nerve within me.